snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Honey never spoils (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Honey never spoils
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: Several people have told me that honey never spoils and that it
is the only food that never spoils. I have also seen this on several
websites. Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snow-Dog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snow-Dog   E-mail Snow-Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Honey will crystilize over time. It doesn't make it inedible, but it is pretty hard to use in that state.

Snow-mmmm crunchy honey-Dog

Posts: 474 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sullen Moon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sullen Moon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sullen Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think if you even heat up the crystalized honey it goes back to its original state of runny stickiness.

--------------------
***sig line edited for content***

Posts: 249 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I would think vinegar would never spoil either.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've warmed up crystalized honey lots of times, and it tasted just fine to me. Vinegar would probably evaporate.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mccliii

Honey has some anti bacterial properties but that's not the same as never spoils.
Soviet Kitsch

the taste of the honey IMHO changes if it goes into that crystalline form.

I put it in my coffee (strange I know) and the crystallized kind doesn't have the honey-aroma to it. it just tastes like sweet.

Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Honey usually doesn't spoil. It has to do with the sugar content acting as a preservative. But honey draws moisture out of the air so it can get to a moisture level where the % sugar is reduced and then spoilage can occur. If the honey is kept sealed in the comb or in a sealed jar it should be able to last almost indefinately.

As for being the only food that doesn't spoil, it depends on what you mean by spoilage. Anything that has the same properties as honey (low moisture extremely high sugar content) should be able to last in the same conditions that would keep honey good.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Per Wikipedia:

quote:
Liquid honey does not spoil. Because of its high sugar concentration, it kills bacteria by osmotic lysis. Natural airborne yeasts cannot become active in it because the moisture content is too low. Natural, raw honey varies from 14% to 18% moisture content. As long as the moisture content remains under 18%, virtually no organism can successfully multiply to significant amounts in honey.
Honey has also been found in the egyptian pyramids perfectly preserved and still edible.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Niner
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niner     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I believe that it's non-spoilage tendancies are because honey, like sugar, is very hydroscopic (ie it has a high tendancy to absorb water). This makes it very hostile to bacterial elements, that would love to get it's simple sugars - think of slugs when they get hit by salt.

Yep, here's some info: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01338.htm

Looks like given time and air moisture, honey will water itself down and be spoilable.

ETA: ah, spanked...

Posts: 441 | From: Between Flint and Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
0b1knob
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0b1knob   E-mail 0b1knob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Coc0a butter will not spoil or turn rancid even after decades as long as it is kept dry. Cocoa butter is a waxy nearly tasteless fat which is a byproduct of chocolate manufacture.

It was packed in survival kits for lifeboats for that reason.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Niner:

Looks like given time and air moisture, honey will water itself down and be spoilable.

Or become mead. [Smile] [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
entropy9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropy9   E-mail entropy9   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I believe that it's non-spoilage tendancies are because honey, like sugar, is very hydroscopic (ie it has a high tendancy to absorb water). This makes it very hostile to bacterial elements, that would love to get it's simple sugars - think of slugs when they get hit by salt.

Yep, here's some info: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01338.htm

ETA: ah, spanked...

ummm....sounds logical, but what in blazes is Hydroscopic? I 'm a scientist and the word you want may be hydrophillic, or hygroscopic....but the one you used has no meaning
Posts: 73 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kabouter
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kabouter   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kabouter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by damsa:
I would think vinegar would never spoil either.

Ah, but look up vinegar worms and vinegar eels.

--------------------
"You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

Posts: 200 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Niner
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niner     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by entropy9:
ummm....sounds logical, but what in blazes is Hydroscopic? I 'm a scientist and the word you want may be hydrophillic, or hygroscopic....but the one you used has no meaning

[Razz]

Fine, hygroscopic. I've heard both used (and that's mentioned in the article I linked to).

Why hygro and not hydro? Usually "hydro-" is used to refer to water.

Henry

Posts: 441 | From: Between Flint and Lansing, MI | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Don't Honey bottles usually have expiration dates like everything else?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
internet stalled doh

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

I know the last bottle of Sue Bee I bought had an expiration date.

Here's a question that's been burning in my brain: is there a such thing as synthetic honey on the market, like there is with maple syrup? I once had some honey in a coffee bar (came in a little cup like jam and I think it was Smuckers or Knotts Berry) but it tasted like apple juice. strongly. Is this the honey that goes bad?

Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There is a no-sugar honey made with maltitol. It tastes OK, a little bit like real honey, but the big issue for me is maltitol does some incredibly rude things to my GI tract, so I can't eat much of it.

I don't know if it spoils or not. I've got a bottle sitting in my cupboard that I haven't used in a while; I'll get it out and see if there's an exp date or any warnings or whatever.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mau
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mau   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mau   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My grandparents used to have honey bees, and they would send us fresh jars of honey every year.. I used to love eating the crystallized part.. Our last jar of honey from them, we kept for years. x=
Posts: 37 | From: WA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
entropy9
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropy9   E-mail entropy9   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by entropy9:

[Razz]

Fine, hygroscopic. I've heard both used (and that's mentioned in the article I linked to).

Why hygro and not hydro? Usually "hydro-" is used to refer to water.

Henry

i'm not sure why, some latin-ness is the cause! sorry for being anal by the way...i'm at work and i'm bored
Posts: 73 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soviet Kitsch:
Here's a question that's been burning in my brain: is there a such thing as synthetic honey on the market, like there is with maple syrup? I once had some honey in a coffee bar (came in a little cup like jam and I think it was Smuckers or Knotts Berry) but it tasted like apple juice. strongly. Is this the honey that goes bad?

Honey will take on flavor from whatever the bees have gathered the nectar from. The hive that honey was from could have been near an apple tree. But, since generic honey is usually blended for consistency, it was probably 'apple-flavored honey'.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sunflower
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soviet Kitsch:
I know the last bottle of Sue Bee I bought had an expiration date.

Yes! There is such a thing as sythetic honey, if the packets at Burger King are of any indication. The packet of honey that I got for toast clearly stated "Honey-flavoured spread" (or something of that sort) in small letters.

It got my husband and I thinking - what exactly would you flavour to get this spread? Corn syrup? Wouldn't it just be easier to get real honey?

--------------------
"Excellent - a camel!" - what my husband swears I exclaimed in my sleep last night

Posts: 39 | From: Saskatchewan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

see, my inkling was that it was condensed apple juice. It just had this very very strong apple aroma/flavor.

I would have thought corn syrup as well had I not tasted it.

Uraunde

If honey virtually doesn't spoil because of sugar, does sugar not spoil either?
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
sugar is a preservative like salt is
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AndrewR
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewR   E-mail AndrewR   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Don't Honey bottles usually have expiration dates like everything else?

I would guess that's because of food labeling laws that require everything to have a date on the packaging.
Posts: 61 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackForge:
quote:

Or become mead. [Smile] [Razz] [Big Grin]
So true, and so good.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by vanilla:
Per Wikipedia:

quote:
Liquid honey does not spoil. Because of its high sugar concentration, it kills bacteria by osmotic lysis. Natural airborne yeasts cannot become active in it because the moisture content is too low. Natural, raw honey varies from 14% to 18% moisture content. As long as the moisture content remains under 18%, virtually no organism can successfully multiply to significant amounts in honey.
Honey has also been found in the egyptian pyramids perfectly preserved and still edible.
Did they actually find jars of honey or is that just related to the UL about the archaelogists/tomb raiders who eat ancient honey only to find a dead child preserved in it? I know they have found sealed bottles of wine, but I can't remember from my archaeology classes anything about honey.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Clostridium botulinum can live in honey. Is that considered spoilage?

And just because something is edible doesn't mean it isn't spoiled. I would say that that natto is spoiled. I wouldn't eat it. It's like rotten soy beans. But many Japanese would say it's perfectly edible.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mage:
I would say that that natto is spoiled. I wouldn't eat it. It's like rotten soy beans.

Natto is fermented. If that's "spoiled", you'd have to call beer, wine, cheese, and many other foods "spoiled". (I had natto for dinner yeasterday. I love it. [Smile] .)

Since we use "spoiled" in non-food contexts to mean something that is "ruined", I wouldn't call something spoiled unless it can't be eaten.

ETA: Welcome to the board, mage
ETA 2: "yeasterday" ? I swear I didn't mean that as a pun!

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I swear I've participated in a thread very much like this one a while back, but I can't find it for the life of me.

So...

Move along, no chow to see here...

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Honey can ferment. You have to water it down and add yeast, but it can ferment.

The product is "mead."

And I have to say, it is one of the worst-tasting substances I have ever willingly put into my mouth.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've actually heard the same thing about Ketchup (or Catsup if you prefer) as something that doesn't spoil.

I know both are heavy sugar base, so would that be the reason why?

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StewPot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StewPot   E-mail StewPot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Aha! I knew it! I'm not crazy after all! (Well, at least not about the honey)

None of these dealt with only the honey question, so it was difficult to find them:

Almost-a-honey-chow- chow- chow!

It seems many useless trivia buffs have adopted this bit-o-honey as part of their "bet-you-didn't-know" lists.

--------------------
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds.
-Frank Zappa

Posts: 135 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages