snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » 100% pure juice "made of concentrate" not as healthy as non-pure juice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 100% pure juice "made of concentrate" not as healthy as non-pure juice?
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Heya there,

Many juice companies are happy to sell their 100% pure juice made of concentrate by stating (or implying) that pure juice is better than juice with stuff added in it. However, at the same time, the process of creating juice concentrate involves putting the "original" juice through some extreme heat, which is bound to destroy at least a few chemicals (I found confirmation that vitamin C, at least, is destroyed). (ETA: now that I think about it, it explains why so many brands also have a "with added Vitamin C" on their label.)

So, basically... Which is really healthier? Pure juice made of concentrate or non-pure juice? I know the answer probably depends on what brand exactly we are examining, but is there a rule of thumb we can follow?

Thanks!

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What's the difference if they add ascorbic acid back to the concentrated juice after the fact?

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The healthiest juice--do you mean with one with the most fiber, vitamins and minerals?

Because what fruit you're talking about has a lot to do with it (filtered apple juice?--you might as well drink sugar water).

Basically, if you're really hung up on healthy juice, make your own. Don't pasturize, don't filter, don't let it sit around before drinking.

If you can't do that, read labels. Some juice has the missing vitamins/minerals put back in. Some juice doesn't. Some juice never had any in the first place, so the maker added some.

Seaboe, who drinks juice for flavor, not nutrition.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
And what do you mean by "non-pure juice"? Obviously how healthy/unhealthy that is depends on what it has in it besides juice, and how much.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Not to mention juices like cranberry, which are undrinkable in non-dilute form.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I'm of the opinion, juice is not very healthy. It has quite a bit of calories and sugar and the nutritional benefits are not that great.

It is better than drinking a Coke though.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Some juices are no better than Coke. And don't taste anywhere near as good. Apple juice for instance--filtered, unfiltered, fermented or aerated--the stuff's just undrinkable, IMO. [lol]

Seaboe

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Basically, if you're really hung up on healthy juice, make your own. Don't pasturize, don't filter, don't let it sit around before drinking.

It won't stay juice for long. [Smile]

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Are you sure you've seen 100% PURE juice,not just 100% juice? 100% juice merely means that it doesn't have sweetners like corn syrup added. And if you look at a lot of juice blends that are 100% juice, a large amount of that juice will be relatively cheap apple juice. It may say Strawberry Mango Zinger Twist 100% Juice, it's going to be mostly apple juice with about 2%mango and strawberry. But even so, it's going to have more minerals and vitamins that 60% juice with 40% sugar. Who needs that?

http://www.minutemaid.com/products/main.shtml

Compare Minute Maid's 100% grapefruit juice to their Ruby Red Grapefruit juice which is a juice blend or cocktail juice
100% juice
100 cal
0 sodium
25g carb
20g sugar
% daily recommneded vitamins: 140% vit C, 10% calcium

juice blend with corn syrup
130 calories
20 mg sodium
34g carbs
32g sugars
% daily recommneded vitamins: 100% vit C

I think those figures speak for themselves.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
It won't stay juice for long. [Smile]

Well, of course not. That's why you can't let it sit around. [lol]

Seaboe, who isn't one for the various forms of hard cider/perry, either. [Big Grin]

--------------------

abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
you can't beat freshly squeezed for taste, texture and goodness. Added vitamins and minerals aren't as effective as natural. I also heard that to add iron to footstuffs they actually use iron filings and the iron can't easily get absorbed by the body...

Sugar isn't always a bad thing. The sugar in the Juice in combination with high carb in cerials gives you short term energy to wake you up in the morning as well as enough slow release energy to keep you going till lunch.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If it's true that the process of concentrating OJ destroys vitamin C then it would undermine its original purpose. COJ was invented to provide troops with vitamin C to help prevent scurvy. They must have been adding vitamin C to it which begs the question, why not just add vitamins to plain water?

STeve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

I guess that depends on who you are. I've been known to drink straight cranberry juice, un-diluted. I'd definately rather drink that than the sugary cranberry cocktails that seem to be the norm. I will admit to making funny faces while doing so, however. [Big Grin]

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob's Child:
quote:

I guess that depends on who you are. I've been known to drink straight cranberry juice, un-diluted. I'd definately rather drink that than the sugary cranberry cocktails that seem to be the norm. I will admit to making funny faces while doing so, however. [Big Grin]
Judy

Me too. It's full of puckery goodness!

Horse "just don't brush your teeth before drinking" Chestnut

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacob's Child
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Jacob's Child   E-mail Jacob's Child   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse With No Name Brand Chestnut:
Me too. It's full of puckery goodness!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only weirdo who does this. [Smile]

quote:

Horse "just don't brush your teeth before drinking" Chestnut

Gah, I'm trying to imagine what sort of face I'd have to make then.

Judy

--------------------
In an avalanche, no individual snowflake feels responsible.

Posts: 402 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages