snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Orbit gum (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Orbit gum
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Magic Puffin:
quote:
Originally posted by Tantei Kid:
ETA: Back to the OT, is it possible the foreign orbit is so strong it could seep into your lungs and that's how it fools the breathalizer?

Don't know if your question is serious (based on the fish), but I'll go ahead and answer anyway...
Yes, the fish was meant to indicate it was rather dumb. But, I'm glad you covered the base, since now I have a better idea of why it's wrong than just plain instinct.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by poutyangel:
i see joseph z feels my pain!! i injested 3 products that all contained sugar alcohols all in one day. my husband is still laughing aboout that one.

Yeah, I've been there. Tried to be an Atkins guy and spent daily eating sugar free candy the whole bag! [Wink]
On Topic: So I believe we determined on this topic Orbit Gum is not going to work on fooling breathalyzers at least just as the other (100?) other things mentioned and not every other thing disclosed on snopes that won't work either.

I mean we already got socks and pennies documented. I think listerine too. Underwear? I know a couple other things mentioned are on here including this gum.

No matter how many sticks can shove in our mouths as the cop is coming down to us, god forgive if you can chomp all the pieces in the pack in your mouth three times faster than his walking.

Maybe someone is a guiness world records score on that. The biggest amount of chewing gum able to fit in the mouth.  -

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
There is no way to fool a breathalyzer -- no matter the strength of the minty-freshness.
Just to set the record straight, most mouth washes and some liquid breath mints contain alcohol, and can cause an abnormally high reading on a breathalyzer. This can be grounds for excluding the results of the test.

BB "don't ask me how I know" &S

--------------------
"How dare your reality hinder my ability to believe what I want!" Joe Bentley

Posts: 697 | From: Backwoods of Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So if Orbit is rumored by the Sugar Alcohols to fool the breathalyzer test, then so is Dentyne Ice because it too is Sugar Alcohols. And Trident White.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Off-topic Q from a confused n00b:

What's wrong with Panda_Marie's sig? Because it's unattributed?

Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by react2distract:
What's wrong with Panda_Marie's sig? Because it's unattributed?

She changed it to remove the obscenity.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
She changed it to remove the obscenity.

Four Kitties

Thank you, Four Kitties, for the clarification. It is as they say, timing is everything. [Smile]
Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: I had a friend tell me chewing Juicy Fruit gum will throw off a
breathalizer test. SUPPOSEDLY she was told by cop frinds. It sounds like a
bunch of hoooooey to me but I did not see it anywhere ( did see mint gum )
and knew I could find an answer here.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Konstantine [Echelon]
Baby Ruth, I Need Your Lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantine [Echelon]     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Belt and Socks:
quote:
There is no way to fool a breathalyzer -- no matter the strength of the minty-freshness.
Just to set the record straight, most mouth washes and some liquid breath mints contain alcohol, and can cause an abnormally high reading on a breathalyzer. This can be grounds for excluding the results of the test.

BB "don't ask me how I know" &S

yes! this is true! I was going to post the same thing. Actually, when I was in health class my soph year of high school, they said that the test would say that there was alcohol if you consumed something with sugar alcohols in it. If they believed the person was really drunk, they would wait a little while and do the test again....allowing the person to "sober up" a little bit. We all know that the only way to get rid of the alcohol in your system is time. Maybe the orbit gum tricks the test and the police, offering the offender more time.

Just a theory. I don't want to get flamed [Smile]

--------------------
It's to dying in another's arms and why I had to try it. It's to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car, when the first star you see may not be a star...

Left Field Envy
CHICAGO WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

Posts: 241 | From: Chicago, White Sox Town | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Of course we should point out that the ammount of time until they haul your you know what into the police station to do a unbeatable blood test isnt all that much to make a difference.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
Of course we should point out that the ammount of time until they haul your you know what into the police station to do a unbeatable blood test isnt all that much to make a difference.

Assuming that they take the time or have the resources to do so.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:

Assuming that they take the time or have the resources to do so.
OK either they will:
1) take you into detox since your alcohol rating is too high
2) Find a way to get a blood test done (they can go to the hospital, biut im guessing most depoartments have teh facilities to do this)
3) give you a ticket.

They wont let you go.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Depending on where you live, yes they will. It isn't an absolute. My mother and sister were hit by a drunk driver a few months ago and not one of those things were done.

The ambulance took the guy to the hospital, his minor injuries were patched up, and he spent some time at the station, but he wasn't blood tested (the breathalyzer at the scene was inconclusive and while witnesses saw it being done, wasn't even mentioned in the actual report), definitely wasn't sent to detox, and his only citation was for following too closely, which wasn't even true.

It'd be nice if real life worked that way, though.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

quote:
Originally posted by Astra:
Depending on where you live, yes they will. It isn't an absolute. My mother and sister were hit by a drunk driver a few months ago and not one of those things were done.

The ambulance took the guy to the hospital, his minor injuries were patched up, and he spent some time at the station, but he wasn't blood tested (the breathalyzer at the scene was inconclusive and while witnesses saw it being done, wasn't even mentioned in the actual report), definitely wasn't sent to detox, and his only citation was for following too closely, which wasn't even true.

It'd be nice if real life worked that way, though.

Im no expert on theis, but my guess is that too much time had passed in between time the Brethalizer was done and the injuires were being patched up so that a blood test couldnt do much to get concrete evidence. However the OP is represnting people who get pulled over for DUI by a cop and tries to cover up a potential brethaliser. That just wont work. BNy the time tthey pull you over, they are allready coonvinced that you are drunk. THey are just looking for the solid evidence. They can also see you perform any of these actions. Its unfortunate what happened to you.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages