snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Orbit gum (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Orbit gum
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: I've heard this from people in two different states.

One of my friends had recently returned returned from Europe. He offered
all of us some Orbit brand gum. He said that the formula for the gum sold
in Europe is different than the gum sold in the United States. He said
that the gum is strong enough to allow a person to pass a breathalizer
test.

The next year, one of my friends in another state commented that the Orbit
gum sold in Canada is stronger than the U.S. gum and can pass a
breathalizer test. A few other people I know said that this was true.

The gum did taste different, but could it really be that strong? Is it
even possible to 'cheat' on a breathalizer test?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Since Orbit gum contains sugar alcohols, I'd guess it's more likely to spike a breathalizer test than pass one. I like it 'cause it clears my sinuses. If there's a stronger version, I need someone in Canada to send me some for my semi-annual sinus infections. [Razz]

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
a sugar alcohol is different from the kind of alcohol that would cause you to fail a breathalyzer...I know I remember reading that when I was on the low-carb diet and was eating a lot of sugar alcohols.

see here:
http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/sugar_alcohol.html
"Don't be confused. Although they share a similar name, sugar alcohol and alcoholic beverages do not have the same chemical structure. Sugar alcohol does not contain ethanol, which is found in alcoholic beverages"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

I've heard that eating a spoon full of peanut butter can help you pass a breathalizer test, so I suppose that if I gum were strong enough, it might help.

I really don't know, though.

Panda "just blow here" Marie

Soccer
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soccer   E-mail Soccer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Nothing will help you pass a breathalyzer test except for being sober.
Posts: 71 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle

quote:
Originally posted by Soccer:
Nothing will help you pass a breathalyzer test except for being sober.

Exactly.
Panda_Marie

If you could cite a source, I wouldn't be quite so quick to brush this off.

Mainly because I've never bothered to learn how a breathalizer works, as it does not affect me.

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Panda_Marie:
If you could cite a source, I wouldn't be quite so quick to brush this off.

Mainly because I've never bothered to learn how a breathalizer works, as it does not affect me.

Try snopes. I hear he's quite good at debunking these sort of myths.

Might also be worth having a look at the FAQ (rule 2).

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
How 'bout this?

ETA: SPANKED by ^^^

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
http://science.howstuffworks.com/breathalyzer2.htm
quote:
Alcohol that a person drinks shows up in the breath because it gets absorbed from the mouth, throat, stomach and intestines into the bloodstream. Alcohol is not digested upon absorption, nor chemically changed in the bloodstream. As the blood goes through the lungs, some of the alcohol moves across the membranes of the lung's air sacs (alveoli) into the air, because alcohol will evaporate from a solution -- that is, it is volatile.
In other words, nothing you put in your mouth to mask scents will fool the breathalyzer. The device doesn't "smell" your breath. It detects the presence of evaporated alcohol in the air coming straight from your lungs.
Panda_Marie

Gee, I'm sorry I've never bothered to look up something that has absolutly no use to me. How foolish I must have been! [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:

And I am terribly sorry that I slipped up and forgot a rule on one of my first days on the forum. What a fool I must be.

Panda "is my inner bitch showing?" Marie

Doc J.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Gee, I'm sorry I've never bothered to look up something that has absolutly no use to me. How foolish I must have been! [Roll Eyes]

No, no, the mistake is all mine.

I had assumed that having found your way to an urban legendsmessage board, that you actually had some interest in urban legends.

Don't I just look silly.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

And yet you feel it necessary to post snarkily on a topic you admit you know absolutely nothing about?
quote:
And I am terribly sorry that I slipped up and forgot a rule on one of my first days on the forum. What a fool I must be.
Having so carefully read and re-read the rules before you joined or started to post, as responsible people are wont to do, I'd think you would be more familiar with the rules, not less.
quote:
is my inner bitch showing?
Yes. Yes it is.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

72 posts in one day- that's some going, and only just past midday in Michigan as well.

little mrs

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

Oh, yes, because clearly not having an interest in one PARTICULAR urban legend OBVIOUSLY means that I'm not interested in them on a whole.

I am so SORRY that skipping past an urband legend about a topic that has no real interest for me makes me some URBAN LEGEND POSER to you.

Forgive me your HIGHNESS! as you are so OBVIOUSLY superior to I, as I am obviously not as learned as you, who must have great amounts of time on his hands to look up EVERYTHING that has EVER been!

Panda "has a life outside the internet" Marie

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh deary, deary me.

Incidentally, if the topic had no real interest to you, why did you read and, furthermore, post to it?

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

What the heck, Panda_Marie? Doc J and Four Kitties are just saying what we always say to newbies who play a bit outside of the rules at first. No need to get defensive and snarky.
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Panda_Marie, this is what we do here - investigate rumors and myths. If you don't have an interest in doing that - maybe don't post in the specific threads about said rumors and myths.

Yeah, what Mosh said.

ETA: little mrs brings up an excellent point - for someone who claims to have "a life outside of the internet", you've got an awful lot of posts for one day.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Panda_Marie

I do have an awful lot of posts for one day. However, I'm on bedrest with a bad back right now, and have nothing better to do.

I have an interest in investigating rumors and myths. How a breathalizer works has never made a difference to me before, I was just throwing the peanutbutter thing in there as I have heard it numorous times before. If people get snarky with me, I'll get snarky right back.

Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:

Yeah- and you might want to change you Sig line while you are at it.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You started the snark Panda - Doc J, Bach_Girl and Drag all posted in response to your question. You asked for a cite, and they responded.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

quote:
If people get snarky with me, I'll get snarky right back.

In that case, I sympathize with your inability let a pointless, jackassity comment die without turning it into a pointless, jackassity argument. Because then, everyone wins! And welcome to the board!
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Who knew a thread could deteriorate so quickly when the topic wasn't abortion, circumcision, tipping, etc?

No, let me [fish]

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
quote:

Yeah- and you might want to change you Sig line while you are at it.
Uh huh. Change it before someone sees it who might just happen to mention it to Barbara, who does not approve of such things. And Barbara's opinion carries a bit of weight around here.

Four Kitties

edited because I seem to have forgotten how to use UBB code today

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Er, about this rule #2. Didn't snopes start this thread, or am I missing something?

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Tantei Kid:
Er, about this rule #2. Didn't snopes start this thread, or am I missing something?

quote:
2. Check the main site at www.snopes.com before posting inquiries to ensure that your topic hasn't already been covered.
snopes can start threads or make any posts he likes; it's his site. He knows there's a page on the ULRP that covers this, but he's tossed out this reader question as an example of a variation on the theme.

Panda_Marie's post, OTOH, rather than addressing the single morph of the legend, showed that she did not recognize the falsity of the basic legend at all. So rather than address the specifics of this version, she questioned the underlying legend which, had she searched the ULRP first, she should have known was false. Therefore, she was posting an enquiry on a topic that is already covered on the ULRP.

Four Kitties

--------------------

Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I know snopes can do no wrong [Big Grin]

I was just wondering why it got addressed to Panda, and thanks to your artful explanation now I know.

Tantei "the more you know..." Kid

ETA: Back to the OT, is it possible the foreign orbit is so strong it could seep into your lungs and that's how it fools the breathalizer? [fish]

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ToadMagnet:
Since Orbit gum contains sugar alcohols, I'd guess it's more likely to spike a breathalizer test than pass one.

Sugar Alcohol is not an alcoholic. It's just another term to Sugar Substitute, but shorter to fit the small nutrition information labels. [Razz]

Sugar Alcohol comes in many ingredients. Maltitol, Malodexterol, Surcalose are a few of those ingredients.

It's not an alcohol but can quickly send you to the bathroom after chomping too many of "Sugar Free" candies.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
I was just wondering why it got addressed to Panda, and thanks to your artful explanation now I know.

Artful! [Embarrassed]

On these boards I've been called pedantic, annoying, long-winded, overblown, occasionally amusing, obnoxious, and many other things. But I don't know that anything I've posted has ever been called artful! [Smile]

Four Kitties

--------------------

Soviet Kitsch

Sucralose isn't a sugar alchohol.

Sugar alcohols all end in "-ol". Mannitol, Malitol, Sorbitol, Glycerol, Xylitol...

Drag, the Magic Puffin

quote:
ETA: Back to the OT, is it possible the foreign orbit is so strong it could seep into your lungs and that's how it fools the breathalizer?

Don't know if your question is serious (based on the fish), but I'll go ahead and answer anyway...

Exactly what would the gum do if it could "seep into your lungs"? Make them smell minty fresh? The alcohol will still be there, and unless the gum could decompose the alcohol in your bloodstream, there's no way it would fool the breathalyzer. (But if it could do that, it would make you sober anyway!)

poutyangel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poutyangel   E-mail poutyangel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
i see joseph z feels my pain!! i injested 3 products that all contained sugar alcohols all in one day. my husband is still laughing aboout that one.

oh also i saw all the gum,penny under the tounge, and mouthwash rumors debunked on 2 shows that come on discovery channel i think. one is urban legends and another is two guys that do ul expiriments. can someone help with the titles?

--------------------
I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm fresh outta bubble gum! "Roddy Piper"

Posts: 30 | From: Belleville, IL | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle

There is no way to fool a breathalyzer -- no matter the strength of the minty-freshness.
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by poutyangel:
oh also i saw all the gum,penny under the tounge, and mouthwash rumors debunked on 2 shows that come on discovery channel i think. one is urban legends and another is two guys that do ul expiriments. can someone help with the titles?

It's called MythBusters.

Four Kitties

--------------------

Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Magic Puffin:
unless the gum could decompose the alcohol in your bloodstream, there's no way it would fool the breathalyzer. (But if it could do that, it would make you sober anyway!)

Now there's a product idea.

Come, minions! To the lab! *whoosh!*

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages