snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » The Cranberries go to the Urology clinic...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Cranberries go to the Urology clinic...
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
UTIs and kidney problems run riot in my family.

I've heard lots of half-hearted advice that cranberries & cranberry juice help renal/urethral health. I can personally attest that cranberry juice relieves UTIs a treat.

But can anyone tell me how? I've heard all kinds of clever-sounding guff, from pH levels, to the molecular structure of cranberries somehow "grabbing" red blood cells in the bladder / kidneys. Being small of brain and large of bladder, I need some guidance.

Thanks

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12058985&dopt=Abstract
quote:

One of the major health benefits attributed to the ingestion of cranberry juice is the maintenance of urinary tract health. Traditionally, the juice was thought to cause acidification of the urine resulting in a bacteriostatic effect. However, recent research has demonstrated that a bacterial antiadhesion mechanism is responsible. Proanthocyanidins with unique molecular structures have been isolated from cranberry fruit that exhibit potent bacterial antiadhesion activity. Little is known about the bioavailability and structure-activity relationships of cranberry proanthocyanidins. Data on how certain structural features of the molecules can influence bioactivity and bioavailability are reviewed

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thank you Rhiandmoi - so to paraphrase, first it was though that cranberry juice changed the pH level in the bladder, but later discovered that the molecular structure particular to cranberry fruit prevent bacteria from "taking hold" in the bladder - and it's not yet known quite how.

I am so pleased that the molecular explanation is the latest one, it sounds much more impressive than just a change in pH levels.

Also particularly reassured that my doctor isn't making it up as she goes along [Wink]

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages