snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » More caffeine: coffee or tea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More caffeine: coffee or tea?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: I've been told over the years by people i trust that Tea has more
caffeine than Coffee. A web search hasn't totally clarified the matter
for me.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wouldn't the caffeine content of either be variable? Depending on growth situations, processing and preparation?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There is some overlap with some teas having more and some coffees having less, but on average coffee is more potent in the caffeine department than tea: Caffeine health info:

quote:
Coffee, brewed - 40 to 180 mg. per cup

Coffee, instant - 30 to 120 mg. per cup

Coffee, decaffeinated - 3 to 5 mg. per cup

Tea, brewed American - 20 to 90 mg. per cup

Tea, brewed imported - 25 to 110 mg. per cup

Tea, instant - 28 mg. per cup

Cocoa - 4 mg. per cup

Chocolate, milk - 3 to 6 mg. per ounce

Chocolate - bittersweet - 25 mg. per ounce

Cola and other soft drinks, containing caffeine - 36 to 90 mg. per 12 ounces

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Supposedly the caffeine in tea is different than caffeine in coffee. It's called theine.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by damsa:
Supposedly the caffeine in tea is different than caffeine in coffee. It's called theine.

They are one and the same thing.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post 
I didn't realise dark chocolate was so potent - that's interesting. I've always thought an average cup of tea has about half the amount of caffeine as the average cup of coffee.

I was reading in the paper yesterday that the overpriced and unpleasant fizzy drink 'Red Bull' is already banned in two European countries, and there are talks to ban it here in Britain too, or perhaps banning it to just the under 16s. The only reason the article gave for the potential ban was that each can contains the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee. If that's all that the problem is, why is that so bad? Why not ban coffee too by that logic? I couldn't work out what it was about.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Drink Jay Tea - a special blend - often bitter and hard to swallow, but well rounded in the finish [Wink]

-

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'd rather drink Gatorade than coffee in the morning.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

I think the issue with Red Bull is that you could, without much trouble, suck down 3 or 4 of 'em in one sitting. (Obviously you'd have to be pretty much wealthy to afford that, though.) You won't see a whole lot of people shotgunning cup after cup of coffee. It's hot, and generally if it's cold it's got a lot of other stuff mixed in with it. I do find it funny that Red Bull reaps the focus of this when at least in the U.S. most of the other energy drinks come in cans at LEAST twice that size (Monster, Rockstar, Full Throttle, etc.)

It's also worth noting that the breed of tea depends a great deal on its caffeine content
here is a good link http://www.republicoftea.com/pages/caffeine.asp. White tea and green tea have far less caffeine than black tea (which is what most people think of when they think "tea", Earl Grey and all that.)

Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I thought it was the Taurine in Red Bull that was the problem, although (ahem) apparently that's a myth and the reason that it's banned in some countries is indeed the caffeine...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

one other problem with Red Bull is that if mixed with alcohol (i.e. the mucho tasty "Cherry Bomb" made with Red Bull and Three Olives Cherry Vodka), the energy rush masks the effects of the alcohol, making you feel less drunk than you really are. Which can be dangerous on the roadways, and hilarious at the Karaoke bar.
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
but... you can get alcoholic coffees too. Or the DIY method which ends up with such terrible concoctions as tequila coffee. That was bad... I have issues with such laws designed to protect ourselves from our own stupidity. Red Bull has been advertised as controversially high in caffeine for years, if you want to knock back eight and have a mild rush, you're an idiot.

Annnyway, according to QI, per gram tea contains more caffeine, but when brewed an average cup of coffee contains more caffeine.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
but... you can get alcoholic coffees too. Or the DIY method which ends up with such terrible concoctions as tequila coffee.

Again, I think the idea is that you're not going to knock back 8 hot coffees unless you have a mouth and throat made of steel.

This isn't necessarily true (I don't want anyone to think I'm presenting this as undisputable FACT) but I think this is the REASONING behind this.

Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's not easy to knock back Red Bulls per se, but I suppose it'd be possible. I've certainly done four in one night before, generally when I want to go home but everyone else, being a lazy student, is still wide awake at 1am. wahhhhh

It's not also unheard of for me to partake on asveral coffees. I normally start a day with two, and if tired can easily double that.

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soviet Kitsch

It actually surprises me that I have seen on several occasions, caffeinated candy. Target sells Mad Croc caffeinated gum (two pieces=one cup of strong coffee) and Penguin peppermints (two mints=one "cola drink"). It seems like if there's that kind of backlash against red bull, it's a little shocking that these kinds of things are just out there (and not terribly well labeled)

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages