snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Martha-slider connection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Martha-slider connection
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: This came up at a barbecue over the weekend. A guy cooking a
turkey in one of those big deep fryers that are all the rage right now
stuffed the bird with a 30-pack of White Castle burgers, pickles and all.
He claimed it's a Martha Stewart recipe, which I found a bit hard to
believe. Though I had to admit it was pretty tasty. Anything to the
Martha-slider connection?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Google it here.

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I don't see anything about Martha Stewart in the google search...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This was one of the hits in the google search:

quote:
The stuffing is, not surprisingly, the brainchild of a White Castle employee.

Eleven years ago, Kim Bartley crafted the recipe by using her grandmother's stuffing as a starting point, but subbing the burgers for the sausage her grandmother used. For every pound of turkey, she used one slider -- a name the company has trademarked, although it spells it "Slyder."

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shades of Pale

It sounds so horribly nauseating.

While I ate them by the sack when I was younger, we never called them (never even HEARD of) sliders; they were plain ol' RATS (short for ratburgers.) Named, of course, after the meat they were made from [Smile]

I always sort of half-figured the company knew of both nicknames and decided that between the two, they'd rather be known as sliders than the more popular ( [Wink] ) rats. But I still don't know anyone that calls them anything but rats [Big Grin]

Roxi of Simple Delight

For some reason, that doesn't sound very Martha Stewart-esque...there's no homemade potpourri involved.
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roxi of Simple Delight:
For some reason, that doesn't sound very Martha Stewart-esque...there's no homemade potpourri involved.

That was my first thought...I can't even imagine her touching a slider, much less using them in a recipe.
As a (recovering) White Castle addict, I think that putting them in a turkey sounds horrible...why would you want to ruin the burgers like that?

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nurple:
quote:
Originally posted by Roxi of Simple Delight:

That was my first thought...I can't even imagine her touching a slider, much less using them in a recipe.
As a (recovering) White Castle addict, I think that putting them in a turkey sounds horrible...why would you want to ruin the burgers like that?

Why ruin a perfectly good turkey???

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I do remember Martha doing a show onDeep Fried Turkey
Perhaps this is the connection that started the rumour?

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages