snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Steak 'n Shake

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steak 'n Shake
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: Here's a rumor I heard as a child:

My father worked at a Steak N' Shake as a teenager in the 70's. He
indicted that the initiation for the newbies was to urinate in the large
pickle jars in the stockroom. My mother verified that this happened since
they were dating at the time when he was employed. Whenever we went to
Steak N Shake she always insisted that we not order the pickles on our
burgers.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I believe most Fast food places have their pickles/gherkins in bags now(you can get more packs of gerkins in a box that way) which you empty into pots in the kitchen area. Unless they urinated in the view of customers now, this seems next to impossible
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
missmary1983
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I worked there for 2 years. Ick! But the pickles (sliced longways, not "chips") come in barrels (5 gallons) as well as jars, and the stockroom for those is usually the same as the manager's office (most S&S's have exact same floorplans). If the manager isn't in there, usually the keys are on the manager and the door or gate is locked. Plus the safe is in there as well and there are security cameras watching the room and the door.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeuroKev
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroKev   E-mail NeuroKev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Here's a rumor I heard as a child:

My father worked at a Steak N' Shake as a teenager in the 70's.

If this was heard from the OP's father, this would not be a rumor. The father stated it and the mother verified it. The father did not say "I heard that newbies at Steak & Shake urinate in the pickle storage." I have no doubt that this could have happened at a particular resturaunt at one time.
Posts: 73 | From: Bradenton, Florida | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Whenever we went to Steak N Shake she always insisted that we not order the pickles on our burgers.

But everything else on the menu is ok...? I don't think I'd take my kids to any restaurant where I knew this was going on. Even if it was only the pickles.

Wonko the Disgusted

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of my father's first jobs after the end of WW II was in a catsup factory in Columbus. He never touched catsup and insisted that it was because he saw a fellow factory worker urinate in one of the catsup vats. I'll also own up to the fact that I once spat on the food that I was serving to a particularly obnoxious customer. (OK, I was young, and I'm not proud of what I did).

So do I believe that the pickles at the S&S might be adulterated with some - ahem - bodily fluid? You bet I do. Every time you eat out you are taking a chance that a disgruntled employee may have contaminated the food just to make a statement.

Also, having worked at a high school for many years, I can testify that teenage boys can do some remarkably disgusting things in the name of fun. Left unsupervised, and with their peer group egging them on, they are more than capable of leaving pee in areas you can't even imagine.

This is why you should always...ALWAYS...be nice to your waiter or fast food worker.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When I worked at Boston Market years ago, I saw some pretty...interesting things:
* Male co-worker getting frisky with a thawed chicken.
* 'Nother male co-worker tossing off in the cinnamon apples just out of the steamer.
* Two co-workers getting it on in thre walk-in (how they didn't stick, I'll never know).
* My pay was docked as punishment for NOT serving a customer a half-chicken that had slipped into the slop bin (hole in the counter that we swept the bones from chickens as they were cut). The customer hadn't seen it happen, and I let my supervisor know to wriye it down on the waste sheet. She told me to serve it anyways. I refused, because the slop pit was full of rancid fat, skin, and bone splinters-not hygeinc to say the least.
I waled away from her in mid-rant and cut a new chicken for the cutstomer, who luckily was standing right at the counter, so the supervisor had to back off or reveal what she was doing.
Gpds, I'm glad I wound up throwing slaw at the manager when I left.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
missmary1983
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Of all these stories, why isn't anyone telling the manager about what's going on in (and on) the food? I would think that if I saw someone doing anything gross on food, I would be telling. Not that I am a tattletale, but just sheer gross out factor for other guests.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In my case, the manager just flat out denied anything ever went on.
And with the chicken-dropping episode, he was standing to my left at the drive through. He just didn't care.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
poutyangel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poutyangel   E-mail poutyangel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
omg. this reminds me of when i was in highschool. we had a work study program where lower income kids or kids who wanted to go into a certain profression could start working for certain companies. the kids get expirience and money and the businesses get a tax write off.

ive heard of everything from spitting, blowing the nose, to dropping on the floor food of customers who where rude. ive also heard about guys jacking off into the sour cream at 2 different restaurants. oh and one of my best friends worked at kfc and everyday at the same time and old man who was really racist would come in and order the same meal. he was very rude and would call the girls dirty names under his breath. they used to lick his food and drop it on the floor everyday. i always wondered why he never asked why they would take his food right out of sight but i guess he was too old and evil to wonder.

--------------------
I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm fresh outta bubble gum! "Roddy Piper"

Posts: 30 | From: Belleville, IL | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I don't think I'd take my kids to any restaurant where I knew this was going on.
Best stay away from all pizza places, then. You can hide a lot of nastiness on a pizza. My husband worked at our local Pizza Hut for a couple of summers during college, and his co-workers regularly emptied the contents of their mouths or noses onto the pizzas of people they didn't like. To this day he won't send food back--even at a nice restuarant--unless it's really inedible, because he's so worried about what the kitchen staff might do in "retaliation."

Another of my spouse's Pizza Hut stories involves an off-duty co-worker who turned up drunk in the kitchen one night and emptied his bladder into a sink full of dishes. He then sat on the rim of another sink filled to the brim with hot, bleachy water, lost his balance, and fell in butt first. As you might imagine, his bits got quite a nasty burn.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I have worked at a pizza place, as a baker, and two different diners and can honestly say I have never seen any "indignities" being done to the food, though I don't doubt it happens. The grossest thing I experienced were the muffin pans at the bakery - always full of bits of previous muffin bakes. I even got yelled at once for trying to scrub them out.

As for pizza, most of the places around here are set up so you can watch the pizza being made. I would think that this would discourage a disgruntled worker from molesting a pizza, but I could be wrong [Smile]

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of my friends in high school worked at a fast food chicken place. One day, she slipped and dumped the 5 gallon bucket of cole slaw on the floor. The manager made her scoop it up off the floor, back into the bucket, and serve it.

I know people tell stories about restaurants and such. I think the gross ones are ultra gross. But I refuse to believe that the grossness is a common occurence.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Indefatigable
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Indefatigable     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My problem is that people seem to use one case as proof of all cases. "I used to work in a pizza place and a co-worker blew his nose on the pies of the customers he hated; therefore, no pizza restaurant is safe."

Depending on the policies and staff supervision of the restaurant chains and even the individual restaurants, employees may or may not be able to get away with stuff like that. Managers may be instructed to use extreme loss-prevention measures like serving food that's been dropped on the floor, or they may be required to adhere to strict food safety standards. Individual managers may comply or refuse if they think they aren't being watched.

If you're going to be paranoid about every restaurant, you might want to extend that to every deli counter and every farm and every food processing plant, because theoretically, you never know what kind of stunts the employees are pulling with the food.

Posts: 49 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages