snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Vodka is vodka, wherever you go

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vodka is vodka, wherever you go
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: The rumor I'm curious about is one I heard on a messageboard a while back.
Someone mentioned that Popov, Smirnoff and Stolinyacha (sp) vodkas are all
made by the same company, and that Popov and Smirnoff are actually the
same vodka from the same vat, they just charge more for it because people
will pay more for something in a glass bottle. This sounds just plausible
enough to be true, yet random enough to be a legend. Just curious if you
could find out anything about it. (I have some older relatives that are
hard-core Popov drinkers and had wondered if this idea was widespread at
one time, possibly in the days when people drank a lot more than now.)

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Stolichnaya is owned by Allied Domecq (the owners of Dunkin' Donuts). Allied Domecq is being sold to Pernod Ricard.

Smirnoff is owned by Diageo.

Diageo is the world's largest spirits manufacturer, followed by Pernod Ricard

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
It seems there is a little truth to this. Diageo owns Popov but no where on it's brand site can you see this. Search for Popov returns nothing.

But if they did not own popov why would they sue the owner of popovvodka.com.

Wipo Decision

quote:

Complainant Diageo North America, Inc., and its related companies own the POPOV and RELSKA brands worldwide. Complainants own over 2000 registrations and pending applications for those six marks (hereinafter “the Marks”) in over 200 countries including the United States. (See Annex 4 to the Complaint.)

Anyone want to do a taste test and compare Smirnoff and Popov. Also even if they are from the same vat, Smirnoff vodka could be given extra "care" I read someplace that filtering cheap vokda through a brita filter makes it taste better, maybe Smirnoff is just filtered Popov.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
Stolichnaya is owned by Allied Domecq (the owners of Dunkin' Donuts). Allied Domecq is being sold to Pernod Ricard.

Vodka and doughnuts??? Can you say "nirvana?" [Big Grin]

(Okay, maybe we also need a guy in a kilt bearing chocolate ....)

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
ToadMagnet, you should go look at the brands Allied Domecq, Pernod Ricard, and Diageo own.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

I found this Press release on its website.

quote:
Prior to the merger, the Allen Park plant was part of IDV North America´s operations, and Plainfield was a UD facility. Allen Park produces such brands as Smirnoff Vodka, Popov Vodka and TGI Fridays Prepared Cocktails, while Plainfield - which currently has 60 employees - produces Gordon´s Gin and Vodka.
So at least in 1999. Popov and Smirnoff were bottled in the same plant.
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
ToadMagnet, you should go look at the brands Allied Domecq, Pernod Ricard, and Diageo own.

... and Baskin-Robbins? :swoon: What was the question again, something about distilling vodka?

ETA: My apologies for not actually addressing the issue(s) addressed in the thread.

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: The rumor I'm curious about is one I heard on a messageboard a while back.
Someone mentioned that Popov, Smirnoff and Stolinyacha (sp) vodkas are all
made by the same company, and that Popov and Smirnoff are actually the
same vodka from the same vat, they just charge more for it because people
will pay more for something in a glass bottle. This sounds just plausible
enough to be true, yet random enough to be a legend. Just curious if you
could find out anything about it. (I have some older relatives that are
hard-core Popov drinkers and had wondered if this idea was widespread at
one time, possibly in the days when people drank a lot more than now.)

Stolichnaya can be produced by Allied Domecq in Latvia or by Soyuzplodimport (aka SPI) in Russia. I've seen the latter in LCBO, I believe. They have a legal battle over that brand.

Can't comment on Smirnoff & Popov, but don't confuse Smirnoff (USA) with Smirnov (Russia), they are different brands with legal battle going on.

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Clarification: Stolichnaya is produced by SPI in Latvia and is distributed exclusively by Allied Domecq until 2010. Recently they moved production from Russia to Latvia since SPI lost rights to "Stolichnaya" in Russia in a legal battle.

The story goes as follows: back in the times of USSR the state allowed any factory to produced any brand as long as they followed formal specifications (GOST) for that brand (with few exceptions that didn't include "Stolichnaya" brand). SPI was the state monopoly that exported alcohol and owned "Stolichnaya" trademark (English), while it had no rights to "Stolichnaya" (in Russian).

After the collapse of USSR Russia continued the policy for existing GOSTs, which included "Stolichnaya" (Russian), but not "Stolichnaya" (English). In late 1999 a court ruled that the two trademarks are essentially the same and returned "Stolichnaya" to GOST state. Still this doesn't apply to US market since in US trademark is registered to SPI, but since "Stolichnaya" is now a state trademark in Russia they prohibited its production by SPI in Russia - that's why they moved to Latvia.

I believed that a Californian man sued SPI and Allied Domecq for falsely advertizing "Stoli" as "Russian" vodka.

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

quote:
Originally posted by beaver_slayer:

Can't comment on Smirnoff & Popov, but don't confuse Smirnoff (USA) with Smirnov (Russia), they are different brands with legal battle going on.

Smirnoff

Looks like Smirnoff won the battle. Smirnoff is the original and Smirnov is the copy made by one of Smirnoff's founder's relatives.

beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

That really depends on country. And on the side you take, since Smirnov actually claim to use original recipes and Smirnoff modified them, so it's all mixed up.
TailsAndy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TailsAndy   E-mail TailsAndy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
But Smirnoff existed first, so shouldn't it be the other way?

--------------------
You know when you've found it... because you feel it when they take it away. - Damien Rice

Posts: 103 | From: Buffalo, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: Is it true that running cheap vodka through an ordinary Brita
charcoal filter will remove the bad taste and turn it into high quality
vodka? Is any of the alcohol content lost in the process?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

Here is the blog that started it.

Probably make a good mythbusters show.

beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Is it true that running cheap vodka through an ordinary Brita
charcoal filter will remove the bad taste and turn it into high quality
vodka? Is any of the alcohol content lost in the process?

From my personal experience, running moonshine through coffee (charcoal in a sence) in a coffee maker improves quality and taste. I highly doubt that a lot of alcohol would be lost in process. I'd run an experiment, but I need either moonshine or bad vodka which are quite hard to obtain in Ontario - LCBO tends to sell good stuff for nearly the same price.
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
How does Vodka taste? I've just started drinking on occassions. Just had 3 Bud Light drafts yesterday.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Regular vodka isn't a flavoured spirit, so the flavour is of just that - spirit, which is why it should be used as a mixer, or, if you have quality vodka such as Stolichnaya perhaps, served straight from the freezer, or fridge if permanently kept there and drunk neat as a shooter.

The more you spend on vodka, the smoother and more character full it is - some are peppery, others buttery, others cool and crisp, but none really have a 'taste' as such, and here we bring in the flavoured vodkas, or which there must be thousands. I would recommend Absolute Citron or Stolichnaya Raspberry or chili, but there are classier products available, and these too shouldn't be sipped unless ice-cold, but always better if bolted, leaving the flavour as a reminder in the mouth as the spirit works it's magic.

Always in moderation - I for one have a half dozen shooter limit, but then I do use Russian vodka tumblers [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle

Some good vodkas I've had:
  • Grey Goose
  • Belvidere
  • Chopin
  • Stolichnaya
I don't mix any of them. They're far too enjoyable on their own or over ice.

I will have the occasional vodka martini (a real martini -- none of that apple/chocolate/what-ever nonsense they're selling in bars these days).

damsa

Vodka + Budlight = Vodka Bombs
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
In our freezer right now is a bottle of Balkan 176. It is really really smooth, but it evaporates as you drink it which is quite a bizarre feeling, sort of warm and then cold.

I only partake in it occassioanlly and in small quantites. If you buy it from a bar, and Revolution is the only place I have seen it, they are not supposed to sell it neat.

Definately worth a try though.

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was told by Russian acquaintances that once opened, a bottle of vodka must be finished the same night: it is a sin to put it away undrunk!

And then I seem to have passed out....

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain Zombie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Zombie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Captain Zombie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
I was told by Russian acquaintances that once opened, a bottle of vodka must be finished the same night: it is a sin to put it away undrunk!

And then I seem to have passed out....

But you're saying this as though its a bad thing...
When I was growing up, My Mother, Father, and my relatives would put down a few bottles during family gatherings. My mother and father always had a few good bottles of Moskovskaya (when it was still the good ol' USSR) in the freezer.It did seem true then that it seemed to be tradition that they would never put away a partially full bottle...
They gave me the last 2 bottles of their moskovskaya when I turned 18. I shared one with friends on my 21st birthday, and I still have the other one, socked away for my own child...

I'm going to miss that vodka...

Captain "prosit" Zombie

--------------------
1st Infantry, SpecialOps Brigade - The Iron Faction.
I survived Initiation 2005... with Naked Mole Rat Sumotori and Bill O'Reilly

Posts: 264 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Moderation is key. One life lesson I will pass on...it's not a good idea to drink vodka with Russians if you have already had 6 Coronas. 'Nuff said.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What did the Russians do? [Eek!]

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alistair
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alistair   Author's Homepage   E-mail Alistair   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
mix!!!??? Vodka!!!??? heathens!
Posts: 64 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yeardley
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yeardley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Yeardley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Vodka is almost like a religon in Russia; one that can be enjoyed or severely abused. One need look no further than the statistics of alcohol poisoning deaths(40,000[!] per year) to see the enormous problems here.

At the same time, Russians have a much finer appreciation and understanding of how it can be drunk and enjoyed. One thing I learned early on, for example, is that a shot followed by a small bite from a pickle is as good a 'chaser' as any.

The best I've tried is indeed Russian, and it's called 'Russian Standart' (or in Russian 'Russkiy Standart'). Very smooth stuff. It's expensive (about 500 rubles per bottle), but well worth it in comparison to the 60-100 rubles that the Russian Smirnov costs. There are apparently plans to distribute it in the US soon.

--------------------
These men have a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them.

Posts: 44 | From: Moscow, Russia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post 
quote:

No wonder communism collapsed.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

quote:

To put it short, this is either BS or something really region-specific. It's plausable that some people think this way, but it's no general rule.
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Yeardley:
Vodka is almost like a religon in Russia; one that can be enjoyed or severely abused. One need look no further than the statistics of alcohol poisoning deaths(40,000[!] per year) to see the enormous problems here.

Yeah, the problem is denaturated alcohol being sold as vodka and consequent methanol poisoning. It's not about alcohol abuse per ce, it's about lack of enforcement. They are doing a great job recently with pushing counterfeit vodka out of the market, but there'll always be bums who'd take any risk just to save a few pennies.
goat01
Billy, Don't Be a Hero Sandwich

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goat01   E-mail goat01   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Vodka is vodka--unless its tequila.

--------------------
I used to think that I would wed a prince, but Lord almighty have you seen whats happened since?

Posts: 27 | From: Fort Wayne, Indiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:
Moderation is key. One life lesson I will pass on...it's not a good idea to drink vodka with Russians if you have already had 6 Coronas. 'Nuff said.

From experience, it is not a good idea to drink vodka with Russians even if you already had no Coronas.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
What did the Russians do? [Eek!]

They were very nice, and were mildly amused by the silly drunken American girl. That episode qualifies as the only time I have been sent home in a taxi at 6AM...still drunk. I have not consumed vodka since.

Red wine is another story... [Wink]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Peter H:
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:

From experience, it is not a good idea to drink vodka with Russians even if you already had no Coronas.
It's a much worse idea to drink with Englishmen when they have time and resourses.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages