snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Dots on soda cans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dots on soda cans
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: On the bottom of every Coke can, Sprite can, Dr. Pepper can, etc. there is
always a colored dot. It can be blue, green, purple, as well as a variety
of other colors. I've been told this dot means that the can has been
"checked" or whatever to make sure it's not "poisonous." However, today we
found a Dr. Pepper can that had no dot- Do you know anything about these
random dots and what they mean?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
My guess is the day of the week/month/year or location where the Coke was filled. Or during the can making process, the can maker marks the bottom to determine which plant or machine made the can.

I am more leaning toward the can maker making the mark.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
As a chronic pop drinker, I have several empties on my desk right here:

The following have no dots, but do have some sort of date code: Diet Mtn Dew, Pepsi one, Diet A&W.

I also have a diet coke can that has a greenish dot on it. It doesn't look so much like a deliberate dot as that something spilled on it...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Mwa ha ha ha! Teh Gay Agenda(TM) strikes again! By placing dots of rainbow colors on cans of soda that grade school children drink, teh Gay Agenda(TM) has taken another step towards a 100% gay America!

[fish] I'm in a silly mood today.

Or perhaps its how the can manufacturers differentiate which shipment of cans is going to which bottling plant?

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Are we talking about the register marks that the printers use? They use them to line up the work when printing several colors, so that the images line up.

From this site:
quote:
Register Marks - symbols used in colour printing to position the paper correctly - usually crosses and circles.

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't think that's it. These are usually green splotches that look sort of like they accidentally dripped on. I don't see them on most cans, but almost always on Orange Slice.
Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just happen to have a few grocery sacks full of cans near by. A lot of the cans have a splotch of some random color on the bottom. No set pattern or position though. And a lot of cans have no splotches. They do all have lot codes on them which is how the manufacturer can trace each can back to when/where it was bottled.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
same, I just noticed those quick sampling of the coke cans on my desk, there are light blue, purple, and yellow, one can had none. i drank it and it was fine... [Razz] one had it on the lip of the bottom of the can, so i'm inclined to believe it's added after the can has been made,

possibly an inspection mark?

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minarvia
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Well, I have a can of coke right now at my computer and I look under the can. I found out that there is no dot on the bottom of my can. [Roll Eyes]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's quality control. From here:
quote:
The Nordson Ink-Dot I.D. system identifies which spray machine coats each can on the line. The system applies a small dot of ink on the bottom of each can as it enters the spray machine. A different ink color is used for each machine on the coating line, so the source of unacceptable coatings can be immediately identified. There is no need to shut down all machines on the line to determine which machine is producing the defect.
And the picture on the site even shows a Coca-Cola can.

ETA: Perhaps the cans without dots are processed where there is only one machine, so it's not necessary to determine which machine failed.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Die Capacitrix:

ETA: Perhaps the cans without dots are processed where there is only one machine, so it's not necessary to determine which machine failed.

Or if only one machine at a plant is without the ink capability, that identifies that machine as well...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages