snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Bailey's and Cola

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bailey's and Cola
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I am proud to have caught this legend in the wild - I had not heard it before.

In the pub last Friday, a colleague of my boyfriend's asked us if we knew that drinking cola and Irish coffee together would result in a chemical reaction producing a "solid mass" in the stomach, which would kill you. My courageous boyfriend went straight to the bar to purchase a bottle of Coca Cola and an Irish coffee. On seeing the coffee, the colleague revised his warning to refer to Bailey's. My boyfriend duly ordered a measure of that as well, and heroically proved that the theory was wrong, although he did admit to feeling a little queasy.

For background, the colleague is about 23, Canadian born with Dutch parents. He remembers hearing the warning amongst schoolfriends from about the age of 14. And he was visibly concerned for the rest of the evening that my boyfriend might develop this lead weight in his stomach [Smile]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I remember once mixing a drunken cocktail which basically included everything on the table, Baileys, Tequila, PORT fer chrissakes!

It did indeed coagulate into a quivering mass which slid down my throat quite nastily, and it made me feel particularly queasy - but that was the size of it [Wink]

Isn't there a cocktail that's based on coagulated Bailey's - the 'Floating Brain' or something? - i'll stick to wine, whisky and beer...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah, the Brain Haemorrhage

yuk!

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Also the Squashed Frog.

Edit: hmm, that recipe doesn't look quite right. The one I've seen (at Off The Wall in Chester) had the Bailey's inamongst the grenadine, and it did indeed look like a squashed frog.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post 
Here's a picture of such a brain haemorrhage drink - looks vile.

Here

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Danvers, I used to be a bartender... we called them a "brain" and they taste yummy. You feel nothing... until you finish three... then they steal your own brain and leave you on the side of the road, ridden hard and put up wet.

To make them properly, you must dribble the Bailey's down two cocktail straws to get two "lobes" of a brain... and it works well after some practice.

Oh, just a quick warning: the consistency is a bit off - and it 'feels' weird on your tongue. Best to dump the whole works in your mouth, shake your head from side to side once or twice while wiggling your tongue to mix it up, then let it go down. If you don't it feels like an oyster... ewwwww.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I believe also called a Cement Mixer

The effect being Bailey's turning into a gross lump in whatever thing you mix it with...Amazing how many variations are out there.

Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
Yeah, the Brain Haemorrhage

yuk!

I remember those [Razz] Oh the hangovers when I was 19(legal drinking age in canada) [Frown]

Malruhn's also got the correct drinking instructions straight down the hatch [Wink]

Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A lot of my friends drink something we call a Vernon, named after the cook who used to drink them: pour just over 1/2oz of whiskey in a shot glass, add just under a 1/2oz of Baileys to it. This is not a layered or suspended drink and you want the whiskey in first so it mixes. If you do the bailey's first, it sort of makes an envelope of milky liquour around a blob of whiskey. While that might sound good, it ain't. I once dared a friend to drink a Vernon made with Plucker's grape and baileys. When it hit his mouth, the warmth curdled it and ... well, it was just plain nasty. First time I ever got sick over something someone else drank.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've really come to enjoy something called an Irish Car Bomb, which is Guinness with a shot of Irish Whiskey in it ... then to that you drop in a shot glass of Bailey's. Drink the whole thing immediately, before the Bailey's has a chance to curdle. Quite good, actually.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
called an Irish Car Bomb
really??

Am I being a sensitive wee flower in finding that a bit... odd? Like calling something a 9/11 Blaster or something?

--------------------

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
No, I found it odd as well, Embra, but that's what several local places call it.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:
called an Irish Car Bomb
really??

Am I being a sensitive wee flower in finding that a bit... odd? Like calling something a 9/11 Blaster or something?

With names like "Slippery Nipple", "Orgasm", and "Sex on the Beach", drink names are no friends to subtlety.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:
called an Irish Car Bomb
really??

Aye my thoughts exactly - i'd have kicked up a stink for sure if i'd ever seen those on a cocktail board - "Hey Barkeep - gimme a McVeigh depth charge - What? Ya don't serve those in Oklahoma?"

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
quote:
quote:
called an Irish Car Bomb
really??

Aye my thoughts exactly - i'd have kicked up a stink for sure if i'd ever seen those on a cocktail board - "Hey Barkeep - gimme a McVeigh depth charge - What? Ya don't serve those in Oklahoma?"

[Roll Eyes]

When I still bartended, when we finally got that marvolous liquid (perfection, thy name is Guinness)on tap (drought), I got several calls for the Irish Car Bomb...made even this Yank a bit unsure of the name. It seemed rather insensitive (to say the least). I also cringed at the name Nasty Nazi (Jager and Rumpleminze). To top it all, I've heard the Bloody Brain shot called Bloody Abortion. Nothing is sacred in the get 'em drunk game.

Malruhn, ever serve a cement mixer as a 'birthday shot'? We used to have all sortsa fun with the newly-21 crowd. We did it in the form of an 'Upside Down Margarita'. Tilt their head back on the bar, pour into the mouth a shot of Bailey's and squeeze a lime. The resulting coagulation sent many a newbie for the sanctity of the toilet rim.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dogwater - you are just an evil bastage. [lol]

No, we used a clothespin for the nose, then Southern Comfort (from a new bottle or a glass so they didn't know) with a dash of bitters, and a quick blast of grenadine at the same time.

Instant curdle/overpowering of sweetness and they were off to worship at the Porceline Altar to Brahgtu (commonly called by his more familiar name, "Ralph").

Nah, for newbies, what I really liked to do is just feed them a single, top-shelf liquor all night. Quite drunk, no hangover (usually) and lots of money for the bar!! [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Semi-Baileys-a-chow

I steer clear of anything creamy myself-nothing worse than getting drunk off melted milkshakes.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Dogwater - you are just an evil bastage. [lol]

Agreed [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Nah, for newbies, what I really liked to do is just feed them a single, top-shelf liquor all night. Quite drunk, no hangover (usually) and lots of money for the bar!! [lol]

See, you ruined my litmus test...When I tended at a hotel, we would get men and women in on business trips, often in large groups. Now, 99.99% of the time, a company would only send those 21 and up, but I'd get a few in that were rather young looking.

Now, to card a guy in front of all his work mates lead to some serious embarrassment and teasing, so I'd often apply this little test (which, you'll see, you would have ruined for me)

If they ordered a Long Island, Light beer, rum and coke or anything frozen, they'd get carded. If they ordered a single malt, manhattan, a non-flavored martini and called the brand...they were well past the proper age as far as I was concerned [lol]

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I haven't heard of the Irish Car Bomb, but I have heard of a Depth Charge

1 shot of whiskey in its metal shot measuring jug dropped (gently)into a pint of Guiness. Supposed to be a rather warming drink.

As for Baileys concoctions, as a whippersnapper (16 or 17) we used to drink "Gorrilla Snot"...

1 shot of Baileys
1 shot of lime juice (in seperate glasses)

Baileys in mouth and hold

Lime juice in mouth

Shake head.

You have to try it!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Emke
Ron Mexico

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Emke   E-mail Emke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I am proud to have caught this legend in the wild - I had not heard it before.

In the pub last Friday, a colleague of my boyfriend's asked us if we knew that drinking cola and Irish coffee together would result in a chemical reaction producing a "solid mass" in the stomach, which would kill you. My courageous boyfriend went straight to the bar to purchase a bottle of Coca Cola and an Irish coffee. On seeing the coffee, the colleague revised his warning to refer to Bailey's. My boyfriend duly ordered a measure of that as well, and heroically proved that the theory was wrong, although he did admit to feeling a little queasy.

For background, the colleague is about 23, Canadian born with Dutch parents. He remembers hearing the warning amongst schoolfriends from about the age of 14. And he was visibly concerned for the rest of the evening that my boyfriend might develop this lead weight in his stomach [Smile]

In Belgium we say the same thing about Baileys and Tonic (Schweppes). Total BS, tried it and nothing happened (but it's good for scaring the yougsters uot of drinking too much)

for the record, my favorite cocktails are B52 and Sperma (which translates to English as Sperm)

--------------------
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 30 | From: Mechelen, Belgium | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogwater:

If they ordered a Long Island, Light beer, rum and coke or anything frozen, they'd get carded. If they ordered a single malt, manhattan, a non-flavored martini and called the brand...they were well past the proper age as far as I was concerned [lol] [/QB]

Well I would've failed then, as I like my rum and cokes. Have to wonder why it's popular with the underage crowd? Rum and Coke is my "comfort drink" I'm in a creepy scary place and I need a drink I recognize.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emke:

for the record, my favorite cocktails are B52 and Sperma (which translates to English as Sperm)

What's in a Sperma?
[insert crude joke]
but seriously folks, what's in it?
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:
Well I would've failed then, as I like my rum and cokes. Have to wonder why it's popular with the underage crowd? Rum and Coke is my "comfort drink" I'm in a creepy scary place and I need a drink I recognize.

I imagine (I'm not one for rum and coke because i don't really like either) that it sounds like something an adult would order, a seasoned drinker, Burt Reynolds would drink a rum and coke. Burt Reynolds is a seasoned drinker. Aaron Carter would order a Budweiser. Or something like that.

I love Baileys. Hot damn!
Lindi
ETA: I put the [insert] in the proper symbols and it didn't show up

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I couldn't handle drinking the carbomb in chugalug fashion. So, I'd down the shot and then take a gulp or two of the guiness as the chaser.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Lindiglo - I would imagine the Sperma is the same thing as the "Gorilla Snot" that Hans Off described earlier.

I have seen this inflicted on several brides-to-be on hen nights here in the UK, except it gets called the "Bridegroom's Delight" or "Bridgegroom's Revenge."

It's a cruel trick to play, but quite a funny way to see if the bride "does" or "doesn't" [Wink]

Personally I don't think it felt or tasted anything like sperm, aside from the fact that you wanted it out of your gob as quickly as possible.

Edit - no hang on Lindiglo, strike that - I see that someone has referred to the Sperma as their "favourite".

So I must conclude that Sperma is not at all the same thing as a Gorilla Snot, which surely couldn't be anyone's favourite, ever.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sullen Moon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sullen Moon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sullen Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What exactly would it be that makes the Baileys curdle? Lime juice I can understand, but many of these ingrediants seem safe. My friends and I like to do "buttery nipples" - baileys layered on top of butterscotch schnapps (if you've never had it - go mix one right now!). Seems like the same kinds of alcohol being mentioned here, and it just slides right down, no curdling at all.

ETA for my lousy spelling (at least the stuff i can see)

--------------------
***sig line edited for content***

Posts: 249 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

It's acidity that makes the cream in Baileys curdle...

--------------------

Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of my favorite mixed drinks (other than the Dirty Girlscout) was to take Baileys and Apple Pucker and throw them into a highball glass. Looked like somebody chundered in your cup and had a mouthfeel similar to chewing on a sheet of TP, but it tasted pretty good.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages