snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Politically Incorrect Food (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Politically Incorrect Food
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 500 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
slight nfbsk warning for language.

munching on a pack of candy cigs I ordered online (since no one around here sells them) I'm reminded of the UL that some brands of candy cigs were actually made by tobacco companies. I never really questioned that fact, truthfully I had forgotten in until now.

And while we're on the subject what other politicaly incorrect foods are there? Licorace guns were popular at one time (whose brilliant idea was that?) and then there's the nuts (brazil nuts I think) called "nigger toes" down here. I actualy have seen an old church cookbook calling for "1/2 cup crushed nigger toes" !

[ 29. May 2005, 05:12 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I used to love these - called 'pint pots', delicious beer flavoured soft jelly candy...mmmm...i'm off to the pub.

-

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What could beer candy possibly taste like?

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I had heard about Brazil nuts being called "nigger toes", though I'm surprised to find them called that in a cookbook. I know there also used to be chocolate candies called "nigger babies." There's a steamed pudding called a "Dutch baby" also. The cookbook Square Meals by Jane and Michael Stern contains a recipe for "Sunbonnet Baby Salad." Canned pear halves are arranged round side up on lettuce leaves with cloves for eyes, blanched almonds for ears, and pimento slices for mouths. Why do the people who thought of these things think we're so eager to eat babies?

Mmmmm, beer-flavored candy. Does anyone know if there was ever real rum in butter rum Life Savers, or if it's just flavoring?

I remember buying bubble gum shaped like cigars.

And of course there's the old bit of cokelore about Coca-Cola containing cocaine.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post 
They were called Beer Bottles round these parts, Jay - used to love 'em when I was young too. Haven't seen them for ages. For those who don't know, they actually do taste beery, it's not just a wacky name.

I still buy Wine Gums occassionally, which taste nothing like wine. Why are they called Wine Gums, by the way? They have 'port' and 'hock' and 'sherry' written on them, or they used to anyway, but they don't have any winey taste.

Candy cigarettes were commonplace when I was a kid too, from little white sticks, to fairly realistic looking chocolatey things wrapped in rice paper.

The most ill-judged and stupidly politically-incorrect sweet I can think of, has to be this effort.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Big League Chew is still around but it has almost completely downplayed the fact that it was supposed to be candy chewing tobacco.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I wonder if the PC brigade ever got hold of these? [Big Grin]

-

Danvers’

quote:
There are two apocryphal stories told:
One is that after hearing a fiery temperance sermon, Maynard the younger decided to market his candies as an aid to cutting down one's alcohol consumption. Therefore, he called them "wine gums", and labeled them with wine names.
The other story is simpler and probably closer to the truth. Maynard the younger wished to market his candies as being so good that they should be appreciated like a fine wine. Therefore he called them "wine gums" and labeled them with wine names.

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Jay Tea - what do those Black Jacks have on the wrappers? I remember when I was wee they did actually have a picture of a golliwog-type guy on them...

What about Robinson's jam? SeeEbay for the collectable "golly" badges...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Aye there appears to be a black fella in a sombrero on the above Blackjacks, but I do remember the ealier incarnation too...

I wonder if goo-filled skulls are on anybody's PC list? [Smile]

-

--------------------

dknjms
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
From the land of rules (otherwise known as Australia)
I remember candy cigaettes, but now they are yellow, without the red tip on the end and called fun sticks. Big Boss cigar candies are also still available, but now they are bright blue. Golliwog biscuits are now called Scallywags.
I just read an article in the paper about a new brand of dog biscuits that contain Hemp, not suprisingly it focussed on the Salvation Army kicking up a stink about it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Now that I think of it I'm pretty sure you can still get "It's a boy/it's a girl" bubble gum cigars in any hospital gift shop.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
From the department of 'what were they thinking':
(We have various people complaing across the UK. Not sure what the outcome was.)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3589747.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3466579.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3465015.stm

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I had one of those cannibis lollies. My sister picked one up for me when she was visiting one time. They tasted really good, but didn't really taste at all like cannibis, so I was pretty unsure I'd get high

Jay Tea those goo filled skulls actually look very good, I'd like to try some. It's too bad...here in Ontario, I don't remeber every having a controversial politicaly incorrect food. I think the closest thing that came to that would be the Maynard Wine Gums.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I have seen tequila lollypops complete with the worm. Didn't try one, though.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I always found toothbrush sweets to be rather ironic.

Holly

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

They 'are' good m' muffin - sorta white chocolate filled with strawberry goo....mmmmm..strawberry goooo.....

Not that i've eaten them in 20 years but I remember them well - they were big-shot candies, they were like, 2p [Wink]

--------------------

TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here's one:

"Mackie International withdrew its Chilly Bang! Bang! Juice snack package from the market after complaints from at least two state agencies. The Santa Fe Springs, CA, Company had developed a pistol-shaped package that allowed children to drink the juice by pointing the barrel into their mouths and squeezing a trigger."

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Here's one:

"Mackie International withdrew its Chilly Bang! Bang! Juice snack package from the market after complaints from at least two state agencies. The Santa Fe Springs, CA, Company had developed a pistol-shaped package that allowed children to drink the juice by pointing the barrel into their mouths and squeezing a trigger."

Look for the picture of Ernest Hemingway on the label!

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KDS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Greetings,

Is it just me, or does this seem like an interesting abet twisted gag-gift:

quote:

The most ill-judged and stupidly politically-incorrect sweet I can think of, has to be this effort.

It looks like all the fuss was created almost three years ago, so they’re probably long gone - and if any weren’t eaten there after, the remainders are probably horribly stale. Anyone know if they’re still made, and able to be purchased? Googling around didn’t turn up any online candy stores that had them for sale.

K “I might be twisted, but at least I’m flexible” DS

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh yeah...there's another one called "Sweet Jesus Chocolate." A chocolate crucifix with a Christ figure that "bleeds" red jelly. Apparently it was sold in Australia a while back to put religion back in Easter.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Oh yeah...there's another one called "Sweet Jesus Chocolate." A chocolate crucifix with a Christ figure that "bleeds" red jelly. Apparently it was sold in Australia a while back to put religion back in Easter.

Back when I was working catering for the convention center, the Association for Associations (I kid you not) had their annual dinner in Austin.
This is supposed to be a Very Big Deal. The dinner goes along as planned and then I bring my table dessert: a white chocolate tower filled with a raspberry sauce and something else inside. I am balancing a tray of 8 chocolate towers about 5-6" high, trying to do the ol' serve from the right and bend at the knees while people are trying to talk and not pay any attention to me. I set the first dessert in front of a man who picks up his printed menu, looks at the white chocolate tower, looks at the oozing bright red raspberry sauce, and starts laughing. He points to the top and says "Can I get a gummy Charles Whitman for the top? After all this is Austin".

It's hard to balance a tray of desserts, balance them as you walk around, and bend at the knees to serve from the right, but even harder if you're trying very hard not to snort with laughter and blow snot on anyone's white chocolate tower.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 86 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Not quite the candy itself, but....

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Meet the faggot family
quote:
"The great British faggot is full of flavour and a great belly warmer at this time of year."

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Danvers Carew:

Interesting... I probably would've bought them... I loved those syringe-shaped pens when I was younger, preferably the ones with red (blood) or green (alien blood) goo inside [Big Grin] Ok I'm weird...

I never was a huge fan of candy cigarettes but I did like the gum cigarettes a lot.

Xia

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laser Potato
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laser Potato     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I remember a short-lived candy from the 80s called Barfo. It was sour candy powder in clear plastic dispensers that looked like little accordions with heads on them-the powder came out of the mouths. The stuff tasted awful, and no one liked the design, so it was discontinued.

--------------------
I want a lawyer! I want a doctor! I want a cheese sandwich!

Posts: 67 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by strange_little_girl:
Meet the faggot family
quote:
"The great British faggot is full of flavour and a great belly warmer at this time of year."

which begs the question: is faggot as a term for gay men as popular there as it is here? cause if it is that boy's going to need therepy eventually.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beware the Toe Tickler
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beware the Toe Tickler   E-mail Beware the Toe Tickler       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
cause if it is that boy's going to need therepy eventually.
As if he wouldn't already, what with the last name of "Doody" n' all.

Yes, my sense of humor never evolved past the kindergarten level.

Posts: 240 | From: San Jose, Califor-nigh-yay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm surprised I don't remember Barfo but it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. I think some candies are simply endurance challenges and not intended to be enjoyable.

Atomic Fire Balls is a good example. At first the treat is a bit painful but it seems to be a way of displaying some kind of physical strength/tolerance to discomfort. There are now very sour candies like Tear Jerker gum. It's not pleasant (at least not at first) but I think its a safe "dare". It might not work as well as the older practice of eating an earthworm (or other such critter) for preparing a kid to be a future Fear Factor contestant*, but its probably safer.

*While my generation may be a bit old for the show I think we'd do well at the eating chalenges. I'm from rural BFE where people drink some blood from their first hunting kill. We also drink fresh, unpasterized milk (milk straight from a cow/goat/sheep isn't the same as milk from a store), ate bugs on dares and were familar with various animal parts and used to eating them on a dare. Even "normal" stuff like like pig rinds seems gross to most when they see how they're made, if they've never seen it before. In fact there are some people who think all meat is gross once they see the "supplier" slaughtered and cut up. I just think that's life and, I'm glad I'm higher up on the food chain (is that Politically Incorrect?).

ETA: I just think most things are more cultural than anything else. I've had haggis and mountain oysters and its no biggie. "Mountain oysters" are actualy very simular to giblets (IMHO). I don't know when, where or why we drew some kind of accepted line between gross and good.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FlapJackrabbit

Icon 95 posted      Profile for FlapJackrabbit   E-mail FlapJackrabbit       Edit/Delete post 
am not even going to TRY reading thru (i know, whip me, i am evil)..
BUT
http://www.mcphee.com/

is a great place for weird candies, and links to other weird candy sites.

no, i won't eat the damn worms HOWEVER they are packaged!
(and i think a worm icon would be a useful addition here!) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"we're going to need to take a piece of this back to the lab."

it's a pancake. on a bunny. not one of my bunnies. mine prefer whole wheat toast. just in case you wondered.
http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/index.html

Posts: 112 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FlapJackrabbit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlapJackrabbit   E-mail FlapJackrabbit       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mari, a big square:
I had heard about Brazil nuts being called "nigger toes", though I'm surprised to find them called that in a cookbook. I know there also used to be chocolate candies called "nigger babies." There's a steamed pudding called a "Dutch baby" also. The cookbook Square Meals by Jane and Michael Stern contains a recipe for "Sunbonnet Baby Salad." Canned pear halves are arranged round side up on lettuce leaves with cloves for eyes, blanched almonds for ears, and pimento slices for mouths. Why do the people who thought of these things think we're so eager to eat babies?

Mmmmm, beer-flavored candy. Does anyone know if there was ever real rum in butter rum Life Savers, or if it's just flavoring?

I remember buying bubble gum shaped like cigars.

And of course there's the old bit of cokelore about Coca-Cola containing cocaine.

my mom always called brazil nuts "nigger toes" of course we never had any idea that the "n" word was a bad thing for anybodyl it's all in how you are raised.
( ok,shegrewuppoordirtfarmfamiliybackstreetso'texas)

it still didn't mean anything until somebody told me it was wrong.
hmmmm. what does this say about society?

oh, and hey, 'COKE SYRUP" did contain cocaine. originally. but the soda drink was changed ....long story, look it up for y'selves! [Confused]

--------------------
"we're going to need to take a piece of this back to the lab."

it's a pancake. on a bunny. not one of my bunnies. mine prefer whole wheat toast. just in case you wondered.
http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/index.html

Posts: 112 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlapJackrabbit:
oh, and hey, 'COKE SYRUP" did contain cocaine. originally. but the soda drink was changed ....long story, look it up for y'selves!

You mean like this?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Henry Spencer
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Since this thread has expanded from "politically incorrect" to encompass "gross out," I'd like to mention a candy that was briefly available some years ago: Dingleberries. I remember John Waters holding up a package for all to see on some talk show.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
From the first cannabis lolly article: "They are making cannabis look glamorous and that is wrong."

Yep, nothing says glamorous like a lollipop. That's why it's so hard to tell movie stars and small children on the day after Halloween apart. [Roll Eyes]

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
For some reason, I keep thinking I've seen penis-shaped gummies before. They were marketed for bachelorette parties, I think, but imagine if someone's kids got ahold of them. [Eek!]

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They'd be laughing for days, quite frankly.

Back when I was at high school, one girl brought in a cock shaped lollypop. She was doing some very, uhh, *interesting* things with it too...

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages