snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Clear Velveeta

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clear Velveeta
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: A friend said yesterday said that Velveeta is clear before the color is
added; this sounds like a legend, and I was surprised to find no
references to the pseudo-cheese on your site.

There are some online references to the rumor; here, someone trying to
take Velveeta into an airport repeats the story, with a twist:

"many cans of tuna, and last but not least, a 4 lb. brick of Velveeta
cheese. Not only is Velveeta clear before food coloring is added, we also
found out that its composition is very similar to that of explosives.
After the security personnel verified that this was in fact Velveeta and
not plastic explosives, my totes successfully passed the point of no
return into the airport luggage-vanishing system"

http://www.fafach.com/Danny/MonthlyUpdates/Jan2004.aspx

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Just a thought, but WHAT food in nature (either man-made or direct from nature) is "clear"? That would mean that all of the ingrediants would also have to be clear (I think.)

Skye

Also - how on earth would they know where the blocks of cheese went before they were dyed?

LOL

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Gelatin is pretty clear.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Skye Wynters:
Just a thought, but WHAT food in nature (either man-made or direct from nature) is "clear"? That would mean that all of the ingrediants would also have to be clear (I think.)

Skye

Also - how on earth would they know where the blocks of cheese went before they were dyed?

LOL

Water? [lol] ...sorry. But seriously, Gellatin is clear as well as many glazes. There are a lot of 'clear' foods if you think around the standard meat/potato/veggie sources.

AFA the OP, let me work this out as I type:
I thought Velveeta was nothing more than American Cheese in block form. Ooops, make that 'processed' American Cheese, which would make it some sort of oil conglomerate. Oil is relatively clear, so perhaps this is the case. I'm sure we're not talking clear as glass, but nonetheless, not the bright yellow/orange status that comes in that nifty box.

I'll stick with my spray-on cheese though.

ETA: Opps, sorry Nerdy-you posted the Gellatin before me...

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You need to take that spray-on cheese over to the initiation thread (such as it is). We need some excitement. [Big Grin]

Edited to ask: If you eat clear velveta and it sticks to your teeth, it's a good thing, right?

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So they are saying that Velveeta cheddar block cheese was first clear and then they decided to make it orange?

Since when? I've seen cheeses farther back than Velveeta were not no color. If it was imitation maybe, but it's presented with milk.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Blue was suggested at first, but who eats blue food?

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Besides, Blue (bleu?) Cheese was already taken.

--------------------

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Velveta is made of swiss, chedder, and colby cheese and milk. How you get a transparent mixture from this is a mystery to me.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Swiss, cheddar, colby and moo juice??

I thunk it were monosaturated Bluenoseigranite and Polysorbet Ultramicroscopicfornicate and the like. Who in their right minds know if those are clear or not?!?!
[fish] OUCH!! Hey!! That wasn't nice!

That last one is being just a little screwed in a big tub of many scoops of desert. [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ingredients of Velveeta:

MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.

Doubt very much it's clear, although there's color added.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Orange cheese in general has food coloring in it. Velveeta undoubtedly is that pale yellow color that uncolored cheese is before they add the orange.

Processed American Cheese is young, rather bland cheddar cheese processed so it doesn't separate when it melts. It's natural color is the same color as young, unprocessed cheddar with no food coloring in it.

Processed American cheese food, which is what Velveeta is, contains additional water and milk solids. It, too would be that pale yellow color without the food coloring.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
You need to take that spray-on cheese over to the initiation thread (such as it is). We need some excitement. [Big Grin]

Edited to ask: If you eat clear velveta and it sticks to your teeth, it's a good thing, right?

I dont even want to know [Eek!]

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Van Thorp:
Velveta is made of swiss, chedder, and colby cheese and milk. How you get a transparent mixture from this is a mystery to me.

If you watched the Kraft Cheese commercials from (2005?) to 1980, it's demonstrated. First they do the dairy fairy joke kids love, then they show off a demonstration of Kraft on the left with real milk poored down and imitation cheese on the right with an oil like substance poored down.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think that commercial was for the American singles, not Velveeta.

But my memory might be faulty, and the two cheeses might be the same thing with different packaging for all I know.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't think the cartoon commercial was depicting the actual cheese manufacturing process either.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

First I get Clear Pepsi, now we have clear cheese, but my 7-UP is RED!! And GOOD G-D, what is THIS!

My world is crumbling down like the Feta on my salad...

--------------------

foxyleah3
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxyleah3   E-mail foxyleah3   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
pepsi blue is delicious!

--------------------
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Posts: 119 | From: always a coast | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdymcnerd:
I don't think the cartoon commercial was depicting the actual cheese manufacturing process either.

[lol]

I don't know why that made me laugh so hard.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My mom told me that Velveeta didn't even have real cheese in it...

And to think that while I was suffering from depression, the only thing I could eat was Velveeta and bananas (together). Eew!

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've heard the samething about margarine
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boots - no longer muffin with honey
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Author's Homepage   E-mail Boots - no longer muffin with honey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
-OFF TOPIC-

But, I'm really starting to dislike margarine. The current container had all red discolouration from Easter dinner (don't you hate it when people dip spoons that already have food on them, and the food falls into the margarine). The margarine also has started to take on sort of and "old Jell-o Pudding" like form. Think I might be making the move onto butter...

What were we talking about again, oh yeah! Is Velveta clear or not. Frankly, I never really had the stuff so I'm not really sure.

--------------------
Come on! Ninja kick the damn rabbit!

Posts: 273 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sugar cooky
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sugar cooky   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Joseph Z, what's the dairy fairy joke kids love?
Posts: 63 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Skye Wynters:

No, it wouldn't. Take brine for example. Salt is not clear, but if you dissolve it in water you get a clear solution. A solution can be made with of a colored/opaque solid but it will still be clear...

Xia, who passed Gen.Chem

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
For the record, salt crytals ARE clear, but when they are finely crushed, you get what looks like an opaque white powder.

There are some opaqu solids that produce transparent solutions, but they tend to have very simple molecular structures, unlike the complex mixture of fat and protein molecules found in cheese.

Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages