snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Does cola actually taste like anything?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does cola actually taste like anything?
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So I was reading the "Root beer is an acquired taste" topic and reading William Poundstone's book on secrets, and I was wondering: does cola (i.e. Pepsi and Coke, but also RC and others, to the extent that they're not just copying the Big Two) actually taste like anything in the known universe other than, um, cola? I've never eaten anything flavored with the actual kola nut or the coca bean (both of those were original ingredients in Coka - hence the name - but now, according to Poundstone, seem to be present in such a small amount in the drink that their taste is indetectable), so I can't say whether the current taste is fantasia or in some way based on the way the stuff originally tasted.

So habitual drug users, I ask you this: does Coke taste like coke? For that matter, does real sasparilla/sassafras beer taste anything like A&W? And what kind of pepper are they using in Dr. Pepper, anyway? For that matter, why is he a doctor but Mr. Pibb is just a mister?

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Heh. To me - Cocaine tastes like I can only imagine bleach does.

Dr Pepper tastes of almonds.

Coca Cola tastes w wee bit of cola, which i've had here and there in other products, notably toffee, but mostly it's just sweet with an aftertaste of caramel really.

What does bacon taste like, other than bacon?

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Most cola's don't actually contain cola-nut extract. Cola-nut was once a source for pharmecutical cafeen, and pure caffeine tastes pretty much the same as the cola-nut extract that was once used in cola's. So now they usually use regular chemical-grade caffeine in cola.

And Coca Cola may be the only cola that uses coca-leaf extracts.

This web site has a cola recipe:

http://www.colawp.com/colas/400/cola467_recipe.html

It contians:
caffeine, orange oil, lemon oil, nutmeg oil, cassia oil, coriander oil, neroli oil, lime oil, lavender oil, and gum arabic. Mix with sugar, then mix with carbonated water.

So cola is really just a mixture of flavorings that were available in 19th century drug stores. I know that cola was once a patent medicine, so I'm guessing that most of the ingredients were added to make the bitter active ingreedient (caffeine) more palletable. Coca leaf exctract would have been a by-product of the purification of cocaine, which was once commonly sold in drug stores.

Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
bacon tastes like pork or ham...look at chicken. It tastes like EVERYTHING.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lonewolf629
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonewolf629   E-mail lonewolf629   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
except for the fact there i can tell a taste difference between Coke and Pepsi and RC, i guess i never thought of cola actually having a taste to it

--------------------
I wound up being the guy my mother told me not to play with

Posts: 37 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Possibly an UL, but I had heard that plum, or a synthetic plum flavoring, was the key "secret" flavor in Dr. Pepper. Don't know if it's actually true, but I can detect a plum-like aftertaste (but maybe that's just because I've been prompted).

--Logoboros

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bozone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bozone   E-mail Bozone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Years ago, I was told that Dr. Pepper was a mixture of cherry cola and root beer. I recall mixing them and it did taste like Dr. Pepper, with the right proportions.

As for the OP, I have no idea what, if anything, tastes like cola.

Posts: 110 | From: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Van Thorp:
Cola-nut was once a source for pharmecutical cafeen, and pure caffeine tastes pretty much the same as the cola-nut extract that was once used in cola's.

Umm, no. Pure caffeine is so bitter it's used to train food testers on bitterness.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Dr Pepper, strictly speaking, has a spiced-cherry flavor and thus does not qualify for full-fledged cola status.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
Possibly an UL, but I had heard that plum, or a synthetic plum flavoring, was the key "secret" flavor in Dr. Pepper. Don't know if it's actually true, but I can detect a plum-like aftertaste (but maybe that's just because I've been prompted).

--Logoboros

I've heard something similar... that it's flavored with prunes... same with Mr. Pibb.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The Big Secrets book noted that lactic acid was listed as a ingredient in Dr. Pepper (at least of the time of the book's publishing in 1985), but I haven't noticed that listed specfically on any recent diet or regular bottles.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
For that matter, does real sasparilla/sassafras beer taste anything like A&W?

http://www.olbobmillers.com/scoop.htm
At the bottom where it says Sas'parilla vs. Root Beer . Basically, sarsparilla is made from a particular root (the sarsparilla root) and root beer is made from several roots. Anyway, Sarsparilla tastes nothing like root beer.

Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JohnnyMac
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Greetings! (First post here.)

About root beer: I learned some years ago that one of the flavoring ingredients was methyl salicylate.

http://www.chemicalland21.com/arokorhi/lifescience/foco/METHYL%20SALICYLATE.htm

Hey, isn't that the same ingredient in BenGay?????

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve Irwin's Love Child

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:

Yay!!!! Then me and my son aren't the only ones to think that Jay Tea!! To us it tastes like Marzipan (Almond paste) my mum (a northern brit) uses marzipan on her Christmas cake. my wife can't stand the stuff but me and my young fella (and my daughter too actually!!) can't (and usually don't and it's as rare as rocking horse S#@T here in Australia!!) get enough of it. We actually found a fruit market about a month ago that had managed to get a shipment of Dr Pepper in and was selling it for 50 cents (Australian)for a 1.25 litre bottle.................so like some kind of weird junkies, we bought 2 boxes (24 bottles in total) of the stuff!!

We both also love sasperella (sp?) AND I've had the pleasure of tasting dandilion and burdock (sp?)about 25 years ago.

steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
For that matter, does real sasparilla/sassafras beer taste anything like A&W? And what kind of pepper are they using in Dr. Pepper, anyway? For that matter, why is he a doctor but Mr. Pibb is just a mister?
I've made sassafras tea from the actual roots and it does taste like watered-down rootbeer.

Dr. Pepper was invented by Dr. Charles Alderton.

Steve S

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JohnnyMac

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Irwin's Love Child:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:

Yay!!!! Then me and my son aren't the only ones to think that Jay Tea!! To us it tastes like Marzipan .....
I'll join with those who agree that Dr Pepper has an almondy taste, somewhat like the marzipans I used to get as a child.
Hey, come to think of it, I thought marzipans were Italian! [Big Grin]

Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Steve Irwin's - I like the occasional ice cold Dr Pepper - tasty pop, but I wouldn't eat marzipan if it were the last foodstuff on earth - you'd love my old Mum's Xmas cake - she puts about an inch of the stuff all over it! [Big Grin]

Same goes for Amaretto, or those wee Italian biccies - yuk - but I like DP, which is odd because it's most certainly flavoured with almonds....

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages