snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Durian and alcohol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Durian and alcohol
Sellmon
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Howdy,

I'm new here at the boards, though I've been reading them for quite some time as many interesting discussions take place here. However, I was having lunch with some co-workers the other day, and the topic of the queen of fruits(what it is known as here in Bangkok), durian , came up. They explained to me that I should never eat durian and have alcoholic beverages at the same time, because it can result in death. They couldn't explain WHY one dies, only saying that durian 'heat' effect in combination with the alcohol will get too strong and overwhelm you. I've researched this a little but couldn't really find much of an explanation. Anyone else heard of this?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I heard the same thing about Red Bull.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The durian is regarded as a 'hot' food as is alcohol. Apparently, consuming more than 1 'hot' food at a time is a guarantee of tummy upset. Instead, a 'cold' food, like mangosteen is suggested as an accompaniment.
Man dies after over-indulging on fruit

AskYahoo! says:
A page titled Durian Talk from the Bao Sheng Durian Farm in Malaysia also mentions the taboo against mixing alcohol and durians. Here's their explanation: "The flesh of the durian is rich in protein and when high protein mixes with alcohol it becomes yeast. You will feel uncomfortable and you may need to visit a doctor then."

Judging be what others have to say about the smell, I would think one would have to be inebriated to eat durian. [Razz]

Nol 'mmm...carrion fruit' ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

"The flesh of the durian is rich in protein and when high protein mixes with alcohol it becomes yeast."

[lol] [lol] [lol]

That would be a neat trick!

BB "it's alive!" &S

--------------------
"How dare your reality hinder my ability to believe what I want!" Joe Bentley

Posts: 697 | From: Backwoods of Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My best guess is that some compund in the durian reacts with alcohol to form something toxic. Yeast by itself wouldn't produce any ill effects while in the stomach AFAIK.

However, I'm not going to shell out 12 bucks for a smelly ol' durian fruit at a nearby Asian market just to find out. My family would have a fit over the smell.

- Pseudo "before, durian and after" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It could just be the awful stomachache that occurs following durian consumption makes you want to die. It is nauseatingly sweet. And more than a little stinky.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moosedog
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Durian is an acquired taste which I have failed to acquire. Some people love it.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nolly:
AskYahoo! says:
A page titled Durian Talk from the Bao Sheng Durian Farm in Malaysia also mentions the taboo against mixing alcohol and durians. Here's their explanation: "The flesh of the durian is rich in protein and when high protein mixes with alcohol it becomes yeast. You will feel uncomfortable and you may need to visit a doctor then."

Becomes yeast? That's spontaneous generation!

And it doesn't make sense: yeast starts to die at around 12% alcohol. The hardiest yeasts can survive up to about 15%. (Which is why non-fortified wines only go up to 15% alcohol and anything over that is fortified with distillied spirits.)

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Durio — A Bibliographic ReviewInternational Plant Genetic Resources Institute
quote:
Durians and alcohol : A common Malaysian belief is that it is harmful to drink alcohol after consuming durians. This belief dates back at least to the time of Rumphius (1741) who states that one should not drink alcohol after eating durians as it will essentially cause indigestion and bad breath. Gimlette (1929) in his ‘Malay Poisons and Charm Cures’ records: 'It is said that the durian fruit must not be eaten with brandy’. More recently, Croft (1981) states that '...a feeling of morbidity often follows the consumption of alcohol too soon after eating durian'. Some scientific studies have actually been conducted to investigate the validity of this belief.
For the record, there is, in fact, a published medical instance of a middle aged Indian woman dying after eating a durian and consuming alcohol (Singh 1941). In this case, the woman was admitted to hospital complaining of intense epigastric pain, and persistent vomiting. Despite attempts to save her, she died several hours after admission. Autopsy revealed fat necrosis on the peritoneum, a reddish and swollen pancreas, a swollen main pancreatic duct, and 2 pints of blood stained fluid in the abdominal cavity. It was suggested by one physician that the death was due to acute haemorrhagic pancreatitis, the ingestion of durians that morning being merely coincidental; the patient had a history of epigastrium pain and discomfort for 7 months preceding her death. A second physician concurred and added that these conditions may have been caused by alcoholism. Oddly, the opinion of the author of the report was that the ingestion of durians and the death due to acute haemorrhagic pancreatitis was not coincidental, but perhaps causative. No explanation for this opinion was presented.

[edit--this was wa-a-a-y too long. I cut out detailed descriptions of several research studies]

In considering the available evidence, experiments with mice and rats, observations of humans (by Ogle and Teh), and the recorded medical case of Singh (1941), it is fair to say that consumption of durians with alcohol has not been shown to be harmful.

The article continues to mention a known health hazard of durians--falling fruits conking people on the head.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages