snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Bug juice in Coke?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bug juice in Coke?
Xylan00
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 208 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Sounds false, I know...
But awhile ago my Spanish teacher, during some random class conversation said that Coca-Cola raises cockroaches, squish them and but the juice in the Coke formula. Says it'd show up as an acid on the label...Or something...*Forgot half of what he said* I think he also said that applies to Pepsi too.
I've never heard of that before. Anyone know? [Confused]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deadcujo
Just Say Wren

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadcujo   E-mail deadcujo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
That's absurd [Big Grin] . Even if a large company were to do such a thing, it would be known to the public who buys the products. That's not to say cockroaches can't make their way into the soda machines and end up in a can, though.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Posts: 108 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Am I the only one who was reminded of Slurm* when reading this?

*5 points for reference.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Curious, though...

Although the story as related is blatant absurdity, would it be unfeasible for an insect extract of some sort to be used as an additive in soft drinks, providing a base for the rumour? After all, if they can extract things from cows and pigs...

Jonathan.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:

*5 points for reference.

Futurama, "Fry & the Slurm Factory"

Leela : "Hey, what's behind that door?"
Glurmo: "Nothing!"
Leela : "Is it the secret ingredient?"
Grunka Lunkas: "Grunka Lunka Dunkity Dingredient, you should not ask about the secret ingredient!"

[Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
That's absurd [Big Grin] . Even if a large company were to do such a thing, it would be known to the public who buys the products. That's not to say cockroaches can't make their way into the soda machines and end up in a can, though.

....urm. Into the sealed can?

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deadcujo
Just Say Wren

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadcujo   E-mail deadcujo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh, I didn't mean a vending machine. [Razz] I don't know.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Posts: 108 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus, extra crispy:
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:

*5 points for reference.

Futurama, "Fry & the Slurm Factory"

Leela : "Hey, what's behind that door?"
Glurmo: "Nothing!"
Leela : "Is it the secret ingredient?"
Grunka Lunkas: "Grunka Lunka Dunkity Dingredient, you should not ask about the secret ingredient!"

[Wink]

Correct. Here are your 5 points plus 3 bonus points for providing quotes from the episode.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saraquill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T, Revolutionary Apathist:
Curious, though...

Although the story as related is blatant absurdity, would it be unfeasible for an insect extract of some sort to be used as an additive in soft drinks, providing a base for the rumour? After all, if they can extract things from cows and pigs...

Jonathan.

I know that cochineal bugs were (still are?) used as food coloring. Don't know if they were used as color in soft drinks though.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Lets not forgetr how much pop is made on a daily basis and shipped out. Its redicuous. It would habve to appear on the label of ingredients as well.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
Lets not forgetr how much pop is made on a daily basis and shipped out. Its redicuous. It would habve to appear on the label of ingredients as well.

Gelatine and glycerine both can be gained from animals but don't always say such on ingredients lists. *If* an insect extract was used in the production of Coca-Cola, it would likely appear as a fairly innocuous chemical.

Again, I'm not say that the story is true, just that it isn't as ridiculous as it might first appear.

Jonathan.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here are some pictures of the Cochineal Scale insects that produce cochineal. Doesn't look or sound much like a cockroach to me. You can't see the insect itself, just the protective covering. Cochineal can be used as a food colouring as well as a dye. (snopes.com is the first link that appears when you google for "Cochineal food", by the way!)

Coca-Cola doesn't mention the rumour on its ingredients page. It doesn't list ingredients, either, though - I guess they vary from place to place. And it isn't under Cokelore on the main site.

I've not got a can handy to check ingredients in the UK. I can't remember how specific they are about colourings, but cochineal would come under E120.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Being a Scout leader, "Bug Juice" is what we call the Kool-Aid type drink we have on campouts.
I thought I had a new recipe for a second.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
As someone who suffered from food-related hyperactivity as a child, I can tell you that all colourings used must be declared, and Coke only uses E150 - caramel.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PJC
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 01 posted      Profile for PJC   E-mail PJC   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
Cochineal can be used as a food colouring as well as a dye.

The citrus-flavored Listerine is colored with cochineal (well, my bottle is, at least). And cochineal gives a lovely sort-of-hot-pink color to yarn.
Posts: 4 | From: ? | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages