snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » If you keep banging Marmite...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you keep banging Marmite...
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It turns white!

(Overheard in my office today)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The lid gets all crusty after a while too. And it can leave some very difficult to explain stains.

Ooops... I think I misunderstood the question...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Don't worry Richard - I thought what you thought.

There are three possible explanations here.

1. Hans Off is having sexual relations with his marmite ...

2. Hans Off has just given his marmite a good kicking.
To test this theory - I just went into my kitchen and slapped my jar of marmite. It burst into tears and cried but it did not go white.

3. (and the most probable) By 'banging' Hans Off means whisking it like cream. I don't know if this happens as I have never whisked marmite.

Of course the question that really needs answering now is just how do you know the lid turns crusty, Richard, hmm?

Hmm? [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wow I'm lost. First of all, I don't have any idea what Marmite is, and banging=whipping??

Learn something new every day.

When I saw the active topic I thought Hans was talking about hitting some kind of rock/mineral.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moosedog
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Marmite and Vegimite are yeast-based pastes commonly used as spreads on bread, crackers, etc. in the UK and some countries of the old Empire. (Australia, NZ, South Africa I know use them; I've never heard of them being used in Canada.)

People who were brought up on them love them; they are, however, an acquired taste which I have never been able to acquire.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

I had the same question as nerdymcnerd.

Never heard of Marmite, although I am familiar with Vegemite, so I started wondering if they are similar.

I looked it up, via Google: Link

Oh...... yum.

Also never knew what Vegemite really was, even tho I see it in stores.

Looked that one up too. Link

Mmm mm! Yum!

I jest, I suppose over here, we just have Brewer's yeast, which is a taste I have yet to enjoy (although on popcorn, it's not so bad).

Rondette

-

based on a scientific experiment I conducted 5 minutes ago, with Marmite, a spoon and a shotglass. I can confirm that if you stir it for long enough it does go lighter. I suspect if I had more patience I could have made it go white, but, to be honest, my arms were knackered.
I've known about this phenomena for a few years and it is always cool to tell people and show them. But somehow it looks a lot less attractive in that beige colour. Yes, I am a marmite-a-holic.

Rondette

btw that last picture of the spoon is a colour comparison, the dark brown marmite is on the spoon, just in the top left corner.
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Vegimite on waffles.
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hmm, I'll have to try vegimite. I can't digest most vegstables, so that might be a good way to give myself what I'm not able to get otherwise.
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Rondette, Properly YOMANK! I can't believe it! Oh my god! I have just wet my pants!

That is absolutley fantastic!

I'd give you a prize if I could! How about a Gmail account? do you have one?

now lets wait until someone shouts 'Photoshop' !!!

Now all we need to do is get someone to explain the chemistry behind it!

(P.s as to my choice of wording in the OP it was a direct quote from a crazy work colleague of mine "If you bang marmite it goes white" !!

Well done!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Just about anything you whip air into is going to become lighter in color.

That, by the way, is true, but does nothing to explain why. I just threw it in for those who are making the banging and whipping jokes. Carry on.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rondette

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
Rondette, Properly YOMANK! I can't believe it! Oh my god! I have just wet my pants!

That is absolutley fantastic!

I'd give you a prize if I could! How about a Gmail account? do you have one?

now lets wait until someone shouts 'Photoshop' !!!

Now all we need to do is get someone to explain the chemistry behind it!

(P.s as to my choice of wording in the OP it was a direct quote from a crazy work colleague of mine "If you bang marmite it goes white" !!

Well done!

heh. the Kudos is enough.
Hans Off

Hey, does this mean we have 'Bunked' a legend then??

--------------------

Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by resEggLution:
Hmm, I'll have to try vegimite. I can't digest most vegstables, so that might be a good way to give myself what I'm not able to get otherwise.

one thing
only use a small amount of vegimite the first time
a thin smear will do

for your first go
try on toast with butter

dav(vegimite toast mmm drool)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rondette

quote:

If it does it'll be my second with photo proof! *sigh* the memories....
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
All I can say is ....

Mmmmmm, marmite!

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah, Marmite is Mmmmmmm. But Vegemite is GROSS!

and Promite is the best [read: only good] thing Auzzie ever invented.

It tastes nothing like Brewers yeast. More like the crispy caramelised bits left in the roasting pan for snarfing before beginning the washing up....

And, thanks, Hans - we're even! I'm gonna have SOOO much fun introducing my friends [who are WAY familiar with Pro-Mar-Vege-mite] to the new taste sensation of "Hansbanger" at my next grownup supper party!!

HaarnSpangGrrr...mmmmm

Marry -the new taste sensation!- ya

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wow!!! Guess you could really only do that with Marmite - it's got a softer consistency than Vegemite, which is a much firmer paste.

But I agree it certainly doesn't look as appetising in its aerated form...

quote:
and Promite is the best [read: only good] thing Auzzie ever invented
Eh. I've eaten Promite. It's Vegemite for people who haven't got cast-iron tastebuds. [Big Grin] It doesn't have quite the same kick.

quote:
People who were brought up on them love them; they are, however, an acquired taste which I have never been able to acquire.
Yup. We took great delight in the expressions on our USican friends' faces when we got them to try Vegemite the first time. (I second Davros' advice - first-timers should begin with generously buttered toast and a very thin scraping of Vegemite).

Little "Happy Little Vegemite" Galaxy

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Rondette, you are a legend.

I'm going to try that when I get home from work.....

Oh and Nerdy McNerd - banging doesn't mean whipping either. Not sure where that came from ...

(Hans dirty mind maybe???? [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Look, I have said it twice (probably) and I will say it one more time...

It was a direct quote overheard from a workmate!

She has a dirty mind!

(Mind you so do I, but that is beside the point!!!)

Hans "Pure as driven snow" Off

--------------------

Hans Off

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rondette:
quote:

which was the first??

--------------------

Ghost on Toast

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
A workmate Hans Off?... ok, ok, suuuuuurrrrrree.

*rubs chin*

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Hans Off

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost on Toast:
A workmate Hans Off?... ok, ok, suuuuuurrrrrree.

*rubs chin*

[Big Grin]

Yes!

Quite tempted to put her email address on here so you all can say Hi!

I showed her the page and she thought it was hilarious!

--------------------

Rondette

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rondette:
quote:

which was the first??

Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little Galaxy:
But I agree it certainly doesn't look as appetising in its aerated form...

Wha??? Look as appetizing? Are you implying it looked edible before the 'banging'? LOL! [lol]
Ew.
quote:
Originally posted by Moosedog:
Marmite and Vegimite are yeast-based pastes commonly used as spreads on bread, crackers, etc. in the UK and some countries of the old Empire. (Australia, NZ, South Africa I know use them; I've never heard of them being used in Canada.)

Marmite is very popular on Canada's east coast. I'd never heard of it until my aunt started dating a Newfoundlander. Apparently, it's a breakfast staple.

Nol ' again...I say EW!' ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
urbansofamatt

I saw this thread on google when looking for information about shaking marmite - So i guess you should get the chance of hearing how i waste my time as you inspired me to do this a few months ago - I do a radio show with two other guys and if you click the link you can hear audio of me doing what the photos show of Rondette doing

click me for audio of marmite

If you want to hear more of the comedy chatter we do as a group go here www.theurbansofa.co.uk

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages