snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Can Mountain Dew Soda Lower Sperm Count?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Mountain Dew Soda Lower Sperm Count?
PINZ
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I heard this a few times when I was growing up, and I never really believe in it, though my niece swears it is true. It's said that the huge amount of caffeine that is in Mountain Dew Soda is so potent that it can lower a man's sperm count.....did any of you ever hear this before? Can I find out if it is, or if it isn't true? You have a curious Virgo on hand here! Thank you, Pinz
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dew-a-chow

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NickFun
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickFun   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I had a Mountain Dew last week and still managed to get it up three times with my gal. I suspect it's a load of whoeey.

--------------------
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." óGeorge W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

Posts: 102 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The time I heard it, it was Surge, not Mountain Dew. Or at least, that's what my little brother's sex-ed teacher told him.

- Pseudo (BTW, there's a Web site attached to this message board) Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2Pence
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Pence   E-mail 2Pence   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NickFun:
I had a Mountain Dew last week and still managed to get it up three times with my gal. I suspect it's a load of whoeey.

Just as a clarification--you could still "get it up" multiple times and have a low sperm count.
Posts: 46 | From: Minnesota! | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 2Pence:
quote:
Originally posted by NickFun:

Just as a clarification--you could still "get it up" multiple times and have a low sperm count.
Which is common knowledge to almost everyone....except Mr. Stud, but you know what they say, talking about it and doing it are two different things.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PINZ:
I heard this a few times when I was growing up, and I never really believe in it, though my niece swears it is true. It's said that the huge amount of caffeine that is in Mountain Dew Soda is so potent that it can lower a man's sperm count.....did any of you ever hear this before? Can I find out if it is, or if it isn't true? You have a curious Virgo on hand here! Thank you, Pinz

You don't really say in this post if the ill affect comes from dringking Mountian Dew or of it comes from some unapproved use. For example, plaesuring yourself with the hole in the can might not directly affect sperm count, but would take you out of the game for a while. [Eek!]

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
the legend actually goes that it is the dye "yellow #5" in MT.Dew that can lower sperm counts, not the caffine. In actuality, Mt.Dew contains no more caffine than Coke or Pepsi, which all have only slightly less that sodas like Jolt.
That being said, neither caffine nor yellow #5 can lower sperm counts. Yellow #3 or #5 could POTENTIALLY cause bodily fluids to deplete, but this is mostly concerning water. Although, you would have to drink the entire vat of it at the soda plant and within a short period of time, too.
So I would say that substiuting birth control for large amounts of Mt.Dew would be a bad idea.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages