snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » What flavor is the opposite of sour?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What flavor is the opposite of sour?
Hammerhead
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hammerhead   E-mail Hammerhead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I Was thinking it would be bitter since bitter foods are base and sour foods are acid. Does anyone know for sure?

--------------------
All that exists is atoms and empty space, everything else is just opinion -Democratus

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
R. Paul Unwin
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Well, adding bases to acids will get you salts, so they're not opposites in terms of cancelling each other out and leaving nothing.

The idea of "opposite" tastes useful in some way? Not everything has an opposite.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 202 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The answer lies not in the flavoring of foods, but in the tounge. [Razz]

Here's one vote for Salty.

Salty and Sour are the tastes responsible for controlling salt and acid balance. Bitter is for detecting possible poisons.

There number of specific tastes seems up to debate, but a general map of the touge has been made. The locations of the tastes vary depending on whom you ask, but salty and sour are near the front on the side and sweet is always at the tip. Bitter tends to be more towards the back which is probably why it's so hard to get the taste of a nasty cough syrup to go away. [Wink]

There's also the opposing veiw.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 202 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
What flavor is the opposite of sour?
Pistachio!
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syncopate One

Icon 202 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I'm not certain that there can be true opposites, but from a linguistic perspective, we have the concept of "bittersweet", or a thing that evokes opposite feelings.

On the other hand, "sweet and sour" seem to complement one another.

So if I had to draw out a "flavor wheel" (similar to the color wheel I used in painting class), I would definitely put sweet and bitter opposite one another, leaving salty as the opposite of sour.

But I doubt I'm right.

Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't remember where, but I once read that if you had something too sweet, put salt on it, and too salty was combatted with sugar. I've never tried it.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by R. Paul Unwin:
The idea of "opposite" tastes useful in some way?

Yes. In winemaking and similar pursuits, sweetness and alcohol are opposites. If you have some that is very alcohol tasting, you can add sweet to make it more palatable.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LaMarie wants a guayabo

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I've always thought the opposite of sour is sweet...
I don't know, I just guess it is sweet...

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages