snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Jack in the Box & Hardees rumors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jack in the Box & Hardees rumors
joan
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Now they are pretty much just a west coast chain but whats the story about Jack in the Box and the east coast? I heard the story that in Boston ( or Baltimore or Buffalo, depending who tells the story ), Jack in the Box was caught serving kangaroo meat and was forced to move out of the east coast. Anybody else heard this?

About 15 years ago when I was living in Denver and at that time that city had a number of Jack in the Box restaurants ( I was told they were owned by Chi Chi's ). Again I heard the rumor about their "mystery meat" and "filthy restaurants". I remember my neighbors telling me they rather starve than eat at a Jack in the Box.
A lot of people in Denver must have felt the same way as I believe the chain has since got out of Colorado too.

Hardees is another chain I heard is having problems. Rumors of "questionable food quality", and the like. We still have a few around here but a lot of them have since closed too. In nearby West Virginia and Virginia under mystery too, each of the local newspapers gave a different reason why Hardees closed, ranging rom bad management to "the high cost of upgrading", to complaints about the quality of food. The closings came quite sudden, In fact one of their restaurants actually closed down at lunch time. Employees and customers were told to leave the building that the Hardees is now closed. I heard there were even a few cars still at the drive-thru. Doubt they got their orders!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2X-2L Calling CQ

Icon 27 posted            Edit/Delete post 
There are still lots of hardee's here in VA, as you said. I haven't seen any mass closings or anything. I have seen quite a few burger kings gone teats-up, though.

There's a restaurant here that serves kangaroo meat certain times of the year, so i dont see where that would be any kind of health hazard or violation.

Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Michigan lost most, if not all, of it's hardees. Many turned into Tim Hortons. I assumed they went out of business because they weren't as good as other fast food chains. If memory serves, their servings tended to be smaller too, so maybe they couldn't compete with supersized meals.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
meanjelly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for meanjelly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When I grow up in Va I also heard that food poisoning caused Jack in the Box to close down. In fact, when I moved to Texas it took me forever to try one.

Hardee’s bit off more then they could chew when they bought out Roy Rogers. I think they had to get rid of some of their less profitable restaurants.

--------------------
Education... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876 - 1962), English Social History (1942)

Posts: 1443 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by joan:
...Hardees is another chain I heard is having problems. Rumors of "questionable food quality", and the like....

I recall where the Hardee's in Winona, MN was temporarily shut down a few years back (and I stress the word "temporarily," know) after a few customers came down with food poisoning.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eanar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Eanar   E-mail Eanar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Here in North Iowa, Southern Minesota, Hardees is now running new ads about their "New better burgers having Angus beef" Honestly, I used to work at one 6 years ago and I wouldn't eat the burgers they tasted like cardboard. The other day I went to a Hardees and for kicks and giggles I got a burger. It wasn't half as bad as they used to be. That is what I know about them around here.

As for JITB we don't have one here. My sister ate at one in Vegas and she said it wasn't terrible.

Hows that for 2 cents?

Posts: 92 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Everyone knows that the only real reason a fast food place ever shuts down is because someone masterbated into the mayonase and got caught.

The Hardees in Michigan did all close many years ago. I think that it might have had something to do with the aquisistion by another fast food chain, which somehow caused people to lose their franchises.

I also remember that the Hardees in Indiana had previously been a Burger Chef. Burger Chef got absorbed completely by Hardees, and at that time, the non-corporate-owned Burger Chefs closed. Some Burger Chef menu items were added to Hardees' menu.

So I guess that there was a progression of fast food chains eating fast food chains that lead to the current situation.

Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Van Thorp:
Everyone knows that the only real reason a fast food place ever shuts down is because someone masterbated into the mayonase and got caught.

The Hardees in Michigan did all close many years ago. I think that it might have had something to do with the aquisistion by another fast food chain, which somehow caused people to lose their franchises.

After reading the first paragraph, I thought you were about to say something like "The Hardees in Michigan did all close many years ago after I worked there."

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Nothing intelligent to add, just noting that I read the title of this thread as "Jack in the Box & Hades Rumors."

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, I know that around here, Hardee's and Carl's Jr. are both owned by the same corporation, CKE, or Carl Karcher Enterprises. Jack in the Box is a completely different corporation, which suits me just fine, too.

I loathe both restaurants. I grew up around Hardee's. BLEAH. Having moved to California, and eaten at Carl's Jr. the only difference between the two is that Carl's Jr. doesn't offer roast beef sandwiches, fried chicken, or biscuits and gravy.

And, I really, really, really would much rather not eat at a JITB. I will eat there if there's nothing else open, but I'd really rather not. It just tastes, well, bland is a good way to put it. And I ALWAYS get heartburn.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Once upon a time, Carls Jr. did have roast beef sandwiches, similar to the ones at Arby's. Not sure exactly when they went away. I hardly ever eat there any more.

Wheras I used to dislike Jack in the Box, but now do eat there fairly regularly. The Ultimate Cheeseburger is a good thing, if you're not on a diet. (Actually if you're on the Atkins Diet, the Ultimate Cheeseburger minus the bun works...)

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scary-lyn Monroe

Icon 27 posted            Edit/Delete post 
[hijack]

quote:
Here in North Iowa, Southern Minesota, . . .
Hey!! That is the area I will be moving to in January!! It is more like North-Central Iowa, but still . . . it's not like that much of a diff!

[/hijack]

LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 600 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Contrary to what a couple of other posters have said, not all of the Hardee's in Michigan have closed down. According to their web site there are currently 14 Hardee's in Michigan.

Hardee's is just like Carl's Jr, which I never really liked growing up in California. There food wasn't any better than anyone elses, and their commercials grossed me out.

As for Jack in the Box, I worked there for almost two years, and I can tell you that that meat was plain old hamburger. As for the food poisioning scare, yes, a few people died in Oregon back in the 90's. Since then, Jack in the Box has instituted one of the strictest food saftey measures in the fast food business. I have never been in a JIB that was not clean and well mantained.

Lizzy "I really miss the Sourdough Jack" Bean

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eanar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Eanar   E-mail Eanar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scary-lyn Monroe:
[hijack]

quote:
Here in North Iowa, Southern Minesota, . . .
Hey!! That is the area I will be moving to in January!! It is more like North-Central Iowa, but still . . . it's not like that much of a diff!

[/hijack]

OMG! No way, we may meet some day. I am about as North and Central as you can get. There is actually a school 10 miles away that is called North Central.

And now back to the original post at hand.....

Eanar

EDIT: By the way, I ate at a Hardees yesterday. The ham and cheese were 2 for $3. I am still alive with no signs of food poisoning.

Posts: 92 | From: Iowa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBones:
Hardee's is just like Carl's Jr, which I never really liked growing up in California. There food wasn't any better than anyone elses...

And that, in a nutshell is why I believe that Hardee's are disapearing at a rapid rate.

Hardee's is equivelent to that white lable generic food at the grocery store. It should just come in a plain white wrapper that says "HAMBURGER" in black letters on it.

It's hard to keep a loyal customer base when you have nothing interesting to offer.

Atlanta "I did like the Roy Rogers chicken, though" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was just telling my wife about this same thing last Sunday.

I do not remember that it was Jack in the Box or Burger King that was mixing Kangroo meat with there beef. I do remember it was the suppler doing without the restrants knowlege. The big problem was not a health issue. It just they advertised 100% beef and that was not true.

Black "The kangroo meat was probably healther for you" Forge

Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ufonium2

Icon 204 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I'm glad there are no Hardees around here so I don't have to listen to their awful radio commercials anymore.

I'm not suprised they are shutting down left and right, and I'm not sad about it either. The food at the Hardees in my hometown was awful, it took forever to get your order. There was also an incident where one of those one-finger gloves (the kind you wear when you have a cut on your finger but have to handle food) wound up in someobody's burger. Visualize a one-finger plastic glove. Now visualize a condom. Now imagine finding that in your burger. I remember the newspaper headline saying something like "'Not a Condom' says Hardees' Attorney." Like it's so much better to have a used bandage in your food. It took almost ten years after that fiasco before an Arby's moved in next door and put Hardees out of business.

uf "Mmmmmm...Arby's" onium2

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages