snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Hot Dog Ingredients

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hot Dog Ingredients
dramaqueen872005
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 86 posted      Profile for dramaqueen872005   E-mail dramaqueen872005   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My mom is die hard in trying to get me to believe that there is rat hairs, and other miscellaneous tidbits in hot dogs. Does anyone have anything to dispute this (that is not laughable??)?

Drama "But I can't see any hairs!" Queen

--------------------
"I'm Jimmy Joe Dean," he said, "Sort of like James Dean, but with a Texas twist"
"Yeah," Brent muttered. "The original Rebel Without a Brain."
~Drive me Wild, Julie Ortolon

Posts: 444 | From: Round Rock/San Angelo, TX | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
First of all, there are no more rat hairs in hot dogs than any other processed meat. It is not an ingredient, just something that is inevitable.

Besides, everyone knows that they're made of lips and asshole! [Razz]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The late Harry 20
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Then there's the hog anus of course.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

Mmmmmmmm......lips and assholes.......

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bulldon

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post 
i think a lot depends on the quality of hot dog your getting, better ones will have less crap in it. pretty much hot dogs, and sausage, and ground meat are from cuts that arent as valuable. if you get a cheap hot dog, then theres a good chance they threw anything that was left for meat.
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Check out these for some really high quality yum-o-licious hot dogs. Hebrew National They're hot dogs you can make a meal out of, dinner franks!

Also, look for packages that say all beef and avoid ones that say "Meat and meat bi-products."

Then again, how much does eating lips and a**holes phase you?

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 103 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
this is not exculsive of hotdogs. have you ever read the packaging for frozen-preshaped burger patties?? "beef tissue, beef hearts..." yummmm

also beware of the phrase "mechanically separated meat/tissue"

overall, traditionally, sausages have been useed to make offall and organs palatable. most traditional italian, german or french sausages have either liver, hearts, or some other yummies in them, same for spanish chorizo (almost always hearts a fatty tissue). back in the day, before electricity and refrigeration, if you decided to slaughter a pig/ cow/ etc., you made sure you used ALL of it. the best part about describing hot dog ingredients to somebody that is pciky on food, is to finish off saying" and the casing?? yea, you're probably eating the pig's rectum. isn't it crispy?"

thelone "mmm, I love St. Paul Pork products so much,.. I work here now!!" abalone

50 points for that reference (my wife loves that movie).

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 103 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
natural casing, lard-fried waffles with bacon on top.

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dramaqueen872005
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 202 posted      Profile for dramaqueen872005   E-mail dramaqueen872005   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
First of all, there are no more rat hairs in hot dogs than any other processed meat. It is not an ingredient, just something that is inevitable.

Besides, everyone knows that they're made of lips and asshole! [Razz]

Thats funny! Yeah... I've been told about that... I dont' care... I still think hot dogs are great.

Drama "Reports don't deter me!!" Queen

--------------------
"I'm Jimmy Joe Dean," he said, "Sort of like James Dean, but with a Texas twist"
"Yeah," Brent muttered. "The original Rebel Without a Brain."
~Drive me Wild, Julie Ortolon

Posts: 444 | From: Round Rock/San Angelo, TX | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mizu
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mizu   E-mail Mizu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
...I'm glad I ate supper BEFORE I read this thread.
Guess what I had for supper [Big Grin]

~Mizu

--------------------
"I am lost in the familiar streets
and created the other side of myself in the darkness" ~ Kawaita Sakebi~ Field of View

Posts: 302 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TMcClure

Harry beat me to it, but to quote Homer Simpsons, "Without the grease, all I can taste is the hog anus."
Mootar

This probably came from a book that is over 50 years old called "the jungle" it exposed the massive contamination of meet processing plants and lead to FDA getting much greater power to regulate food quality.

i found the book at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553212451/qid=1065234548/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-7211280-3122408

on a side note all mass produced commercial products are allowed 1% other or unidentified ingredients, this is because in industrial food manufacturing it is very difficult to keep all the bugs and rats out. I have a friend that works at a micro brewery and they have to collect all the rat skeletons out of the fermenting vats because the beer is so corrosive that it dissolves everything but the bones, then they have to count how many heads they find, if its over a give number they have to dump that batch of beer.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages