snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Diet pop contains/becomes Formaldehyde?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet pop contains/becomes Formaldehyde?
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Pardon me if this one has been discussed. My usually rational family has been going berzerk over the alledged dangers of diet soda lately. My brother has been preaching to everyone that articifical sweeteners turn into formaldedyde once digested. My parents are on the band-wagon as well. Since everyone in my family drinks huge amounts of pop, I'm far more concerned about the additioanl 500 calories a day everyone is picking up in the switch away from diet. Does anyone know the source of this rumor and better yet, why it's being taken seriously?

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
elwood, may I point you in this general direction [Smile] aspartame

little miss

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Edited because little miss beat me to it

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks, all. I guess I searched under the wrong phrases on the main site. I appreciate the help. I don't think it will convince my family, but at least I'm armed.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Go bravely into the fray, Elwood, we've got your back!

Four Kitties

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've been told by a Coke employee that Tab (a Coke product) will go bad if it sits too long and that the can has an expiration date on it. Luckily, by "going bad" they mean it won't taste good.

In my experience, a drink begins to smell or taste bad before it ever gets dangerous, if it will get dangerous. I am excluding tampering, of course.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This happened to me this week, when I was at Grandmother's house. I pulled a Pepsi off the shelf, poured it into a glass, and it tasted AWFUL, very watery and metallic. I looked on the bottom of the can -- it was dated 1998!

Four "not much call for Pepsi at G's house" Kitties

--------------------

Monroe
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 606 posted            Edit/Delete post 
^Me after the 2 liters a day of Diet Pepsi!

I have never heard of the formaldahyde thing before, but everyone still tells me that diet sodas give you cancer! ENOUGH ALREADY!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Jinxed Cat:
I've been told by a Coke employee that Tab (a Coke product) will go bad if it sits too long and that the can has an expiration date on it. Luckily, by "going bad" they mean it won't taste good.

In my experience, a drink begins to smell or taste bad before it ever gets dangerous, if it will get dangerous. I am excluding tampering, of course.

all the diet drinks taste bad to me i hate the taste of aspartame i have not found an sweetner that did make me gag (apart from sugar)

Dav(sweet tooth)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
all the diet drinks taste bad to me i hate the taste of aspartame i have not found an sweetner that did make me gag (apart from sugar)
[/QB]

Splenda too? My husband generally dislikes diet soda but likes the flavor of the Hansens diet sodas that use this stuff.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Davros and the Darlek Cat:

Can't stand diet colas, due to the taste of the aspartame, but the diet lemon-lime drinks are palatable, so long as I drink it all before it starts to get warm, at which point the aspartame taste becomes more obvious again...

Arts "the un-diet-cola" Myth

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So Davros, what do you drink since all the regular sodas and juice cocktails are sweetened with corn syrup rather than sugar?

(Before Morgaine beats me to it, let me rephrase that: all soft drinks outside of the Dr. Pepper bottled in Dublin, Texas and SOME soft drinks bottled in Mexico which may or may not contain cane or beat sugar instead of corn syrup since Mexican labeling laws allow any natural sweetner to be labeled sugar.)

I grew up drinking diet sodas, and can't abide the real stuff. Corn syrup makes me choke.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlondeChick
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BlondeChick   E-mail BlondeChick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Actually, there is a grain of truth in all the ka-ka here.

If you react aspertame (nutra-sweet) with 1 molar Hydrochloric Acid (which is basically what is in your stomach) one of the products of the reaction is, in fact, formaldehyde. Another is methanol. Very simple second semester college organic chemistry homework problem. [Big Grin]

BUT, before we all panic here, there are LOTS of foods that, as the result of "processing" by our stomachs, result in a bit of formaldehyde in the system. Totally natural things. The very tiny amount of aspertame used to sweeten a soda really is not going to introduce more formaldehyde into the system than other things you eat.

I must admit, however, that springing paragraph two on in-duh-viduals while neglecting to mention paragraph three is great fun at parties.

Blonde "EEEEWWWWW, Diet" Chick

--------------------
I never fly off the handle. It is much harder to balance on the wisk part of the broom.

Posts: 210 | From: South of DC, Left of Center | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlondeChick:
I must admit, however, that springing paragraph two on in-duh-viduals while neglecting to mention paragraph three is great fun at parties.

And before you know it, there'll be another dihydrogen monoxide scare, as well...!

Arts "and everyone who's ever breathed air is dead or will eventually die!" Myth

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages