snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Complaints about Soy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Complaints about Soy
The Spider in the Ointment
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/complaints.html
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
[sigh] Eat healthy, exercise, die anyway.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

He didn't even mention the breast story.

Eat soy, grow breasts, die.

Japanese eat soy all the time, but big breasts are a rarity amongst them...

resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
OMG, these people are so stupid! [Eek!]

Since when has eating a balanced diet and excersising regularily been a "weightloss breakthough?" [Roll Eyes]

So the dumb NFBSK ate too many soy products... That doesn't make soy evil, it's just too much of a good thing.

Yeah, I remember the thread about soy preventing breast cancer too. If we're to belive both theses stories, you'll have good knockers but your thyroid's screwed.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Stressa, spf 500

Icon 101 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I like the reference about soy dust from a ship's cargo making people ill -- geez, they make soy sound like the Fog, or Day of the Triffids, or something!

Whatever. I'll keep enjoying my soy milk, and burgers, and edamame - Stressa [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Ms Stressa, spf 500:
I like the reference about soy dust from a ship's cargo making people ill -- geez, they make soy sound like the Fog, or Day of the Triffids, or something!

Hehe!

I don't know quite how anyone "enjoys" soy. It doesn't taste of much to me - I like soya milk though, but that's flavoured.

As for dust, isn't inhaling too much of any kind of dust bad for your lungs and respiratory system?

JK "Four eyed, three legged buxom hyperthyroid" Will

DataAngel
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DataAngel   Author's Homepage   E-mail DataAngel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I don't know quite how anyone "enjoys" soy. It doesn't taste of much to me - I like soya milk though, but that's flavoured.

JK "Four eyed, three legged buxom hyperthyroid" Will

Soy tends to pick up the flavour of whatever it's cooked in or has added to it. If you cook tofu in spagetti sauce it tastes like the spagetti sauce. My husband's been using it in place of ricotta cheese in lasagna. You really can't tell the difference if you buy tofu that's the right consistancy.

Anyhow... on to the link....
quote:
A friend mentioned the Protein Power diet and the Zone diet. (snip)high levels of protein and fat with very low levels of carbohydrates (snip). I began to substitute soy protein in the form of tofu, soy milk, soy powder, soy “nutrition” bars, tempeh, soy burgers, soy sausage and so on. Unbeknownst to me, soy interferes with thyroid hormone absorption and utilization.
An Atkins Newsletter mentions that if you have thyroid problems you should limit your soy to 2 servings a day.

Even Soy Info warns against having too much soy.

As for not losing weight while eating soy... Soy is a carb. It's a bean. You have to really limit how much soy-based product you consume if you're on a low-carb diet.

Aren't a lot of the problems associated with genetically modified soy?

Course... the early puberty mentioned in one of the letters is also documented in girls who experience early-onset puberty. (reference: http://www.healthcoalition.ca/hormones.html)

--------------------
Me: So you’re saying Lucas is really an Ewok and was projecting his own ideas of god onto Anthony Daniels in a plastic hat.

E: Sure, if it will end this conversation, yes.

Posts: 1272 | From: Delusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

"Soy tends to pick up the flavour of whatever it's cooked in or has added to it."

That's my point.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages