snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » How much tea do the Asians drink???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much tea do the Asians drink???
Trent Reno
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I heard they drink up to 10 cups a day, and it's benefits may be why cancer incidence in Asia is low. How large are their average cups? Do they drink 4oz or 8oz cups or what? Can anyone tell me?

Ralphy

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There must be, what, 3 billion Asians? There must be a pretty wide variation in drinking habits between, for example, the Taiwanese, Novaya Zemlyans, Turks and Sri Lankans.

If it is possible to generalise at all, I'd say that if there are lower levels of cancer in Asia than in Europe or the US, this might be more to do with the prevalence of other diseases and lower life expectancy generally than how much tea is drunk.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Trent Reno

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I'm sorry if I was too general. If you walked into a restaurant in China and say "I'll have the tea," how much do they give you?

Ralphy

Mr. Mondaricci

Icon 213 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trent Reno:
I heard they drink up to 10 cups a day, and it's benefits may be why cancer incidence in Asia is low. How large are their average cups? Do they drink 4oz or 8oz cups or what? Can anyone tell me?

Ralphy

Ralphy:

I wouldn't answer your question for all the tea in Ch... oh, never mind.

Mr. "Lawrence Tureaud*" Mondaricci
_____
*had to look up spelling on IMDB and learned something new today--always thought it was "Tero".

Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
*sits down at the keyboard**cracks knuckles*

Owie owie ow... Forgot I don't like doing that...

Anyway, I went to Japan this summer and stayed with a host family. I can tell you about how much they drank when I was around. This is purely ancedotal evidence, as it only pertains to one family out of millions.

A lot. My host mother drank I would say at least ten cups of tea a day. However, her cups of tea were about 4-5 oz, I would say. Not as large as ours. My host father didn't drink as much, I beleive he preferred beer. (Ashai brand, if you're interested.) My younger host sister would drink a cup of tea in the morning before school, and then get a thermos full of it in her lunch. (I'd say about 8-10 oz in the thermo.) Then she'd come home and drink a couple of glasses of iced tea (6-8 oz, watered down.). She might have tea with dinner, but more often she had water. My older host sister wasn't so heavy a tea drinker. She'd have a thermos of it in her lunch, and occasionally an iced tea.

That's only one family, mind you, but they seemed like a pretty average family to me. Of course, I could be wrong. As I said, it's only ancedotal evidence, and as one poster's sig line says "The plural of ancedote is not data."

Hope that helped!

Aimee "Got Tea?" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
My experience is that 10 cups of tea served in a Chinese resaurant doesn't even equal the volume in an average glass of iced tea served in an American restaurant.
Lithiate

Icon 103 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Little sister drinks about the equivelent of 10 5 oz. cups of tea a day (somewhere around 3-4 large coffee mugs of the stuff in a day, if not more). The girl is fairly addicted, I believe. I average about 2 coffee-mugs of tea per day at the most (I'm much more passionate about coffee than I am about tea, but I am a sucker for Darjeeling with cream and honey).

I believe we should also take into account how much tea the average Brit injests in a day. I know I'll be doing my research when I'm in London next week... [Wink]

Lithiate

cei

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post 
As a Brit I can answer what my average consumption is. Depending on what I am doing I can have anywhere from 4-15 Mugs of strong tea a day. The mugs are usually 1/3pt, but I also have 1/2 and 1 pint mugs as well. My wife drinks less, but both of us need the mug of Tea kickstart in the morning.

Where as my brother hardly drinks Tea but drinks a simular amount of strong Coffee as I do.

My mum drinks both tea and coffee but in smaller quantities and at a lot weaker strength.

So as you can see it varies a lot in just one family and is simular accross the country - apart from too many people now drink weak tea with to much milk!!

Cheers Al

sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 604 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I drink about 5 mugs of tea a day (Wulong tea) & if I eat out I have about 8 cups of tea with my meal but those are small cups.
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If it's hot, I've been known to drink a gallon of iced tea a day. That's 16 cups.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh dali why?

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I can't really talk about all of Asia, but I suspect the OP refers to the Chinese.

Hong Kong:
In Chinese restaurants here, for Yum Cha (or dim sum) you'll have a pot of tea and one of water. When your teapot is running low, you top it up from the water pot. A few time during the course of the meal, both will be topped up by the waiter. It's drunk from those little cups. I'd go through quite a lot of tea, usually because everyone else is busy talking. The tea is usually 'Bo Li', Jasmine, 'Pu Erh', 'Ti Kuan Yin' or 'Sheung Tsin' (not sure of the spelling of the last).

For a more formal meal, say a banquet, the same will apply, although there'll be beer and wine there as well. (And possibly brandy, depends on the occasion.)

Walking around the streets, there are lots of little herbal tea shops, selling various concoctions supposed to improve breath, health, or just clean out your system. The tea can be hot or cold, depending on what blend it is, what benefits its supposed to have.

Also, there are lots of juice bars selling crushed mango, papaya, coconut milk, sugar cane, etc. You'll often see little clusters of old men, sitting on a park bench and watching the world go by with a tin of beer (probably Carlsberg) or a big bottle (probably Tsing Tao, or one of the other Chinese beers).

At work, most people will have a 'bottomless' tea cup, i.e. it's got a lot of tea-leaves in it, and they top it up as and when required. These cups usually have a lid as well, to stop the tea getting too cold. Generally speaking, the Chinese at work in my last four workplaces don't drink the coffee, usually because they regard it as unhealthy. (The coffee was also quite awful in all of these places - either *way* too strong or rancid from sitting there all day.)

At home, my wife will have a pot or two of tea a day, usually a quite strong type. When her older relatives come over, they drink 'Gong Fu Cha', which is made like so: take a small teapot (about one standard cup in capacity) and fill it with tea leaves. fill it with boiling water and immediately pour out this tea into the little cups. This first pot is to wet the tea and clean the cups. Empty the cups. Fill the teapot again and fill all the little cups in one pour. (Every time you fill the cups, you should empty the pot.) This time you can drink the tea, which is to ordinary tea as espresso is to coffee. Repeat.

Tea drinking customs in Southern China are similar to Hong Kong, and I didn't notice much difference in Northern China either, although I wasn't there for long enough.

There is the appalling 'Lai Cha' or 'English Tea' which is made with tea bags, condensed milk and left to stew for a while. Think of military tea.

There's also 'Yang Yin' (I think that's how you spell it) which is half coffee and half tea.

Me, I have one cup of coffee in the mornings at work and just drink water for the rest of the day.

dave

Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I know the answer to that question about as well as a tea leaf knows the history of the East India company. However I think any good southerner at a BBQ resturant out tea drinks Asia if you count ice tea as tea.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil Anya

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I've heard that green tea is extremely good for you, but I'm not sure why, or what it does. There's always a lot of bottles of green tea extract at the health food store.

I live in the United States and I drink anywhere from 5 to 10 cups of tea a day, but I hardly ever see other people drinking tea, other than chai lattes. I like oolong and Earl Grey the best. It makes you have to pee a lot though.

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Green tea extracts have many health benefits. It is a great fat burner and anti carciogenic properties.
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarokaja

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I'm currently in Japan (have been for almost five years) and I can say that what Aimee described seems about average. On the other hand, coffee is also very popular here, unlike what I've heard about China and Hong Kong.
MorningAfterCouture

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Cant Be more than me. I go through a gallon of arizona green tea with ginsing a day.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
If you walked into a restaurant in China and say "I'll have the tea," how much do they give you?
A cupful.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yeah, I think it depends. My Japanese host parents had relatively little compared to some of the people here. Coffee for breakfast and tea was usually just dinner and sometimes lunch.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

Koreans don't really drink tea with meals. They have this drink they call tea, but it's actually made of corn, or barley or malt.
Soviet Kitsch

at least in Japan, they consume tea IN a lot of things too like ice cream, candy, snacks, etc. I actually have had a green tea flavored "popcorn" snack from Japan (which had no hulls and was really very similar to the American "puffcorn" we have here).

I would think the cup size would vary, too, from country to country. I haven't been outside the country but I do know that Chinese restaraunts tend to have the tiny 4 or 5 ounce cups, but the sushi bar I go to has larger, handleless cups that probably hold closer to 8 or 9 ounces, and I have also seen these larger cups for sale at an Asian grocery store in about the same abundance as the tiny Chinese style cups.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages