snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Legal Affairs Archive » Aries man sues over negative horoscope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aries man sues over negative horoscope
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Frenchman born under the sign of Aries who sued a newspaper for giving him an unfavorable horoscope was told he was wasting the court's time and ordered to pay $425 in legal fees.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050920/od_afp/francejusticehoroscope

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't help but wonder if the unfavourable horoscope was "-you will make a poor financial decision"

me

ETA yes I did read the article first, I just couldn't help myself

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He's really going to hate today's horoscope: Your name will become synonymous with jackass.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by me, no really:
I can't help but wonder if the unfavourable horoscope was "-you will make a poor financial decision"

Naw, I bet it was:
"The look on your face will be priceless when you find that forty pound watermelon in your colon"

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to applaud the reporting of the fact that a stupid lawsuit failed. This must happen all the time but we are usually just read about "Stella"-worthy claims rather than their outcomes.

[Smile]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think his argument was that since he was on the dole, he would never be able to find a job. It makes the story more understandable, but still makes him a nutter.
Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 205 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story was reported with more details in the French press. Apparently, the guy has filed quite a number of loony lawsuits in the last six months.

Story (in French)

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortunately, in Europe, such ludicrous lawsuits are much less likely to succeed than in the US.

Being an Aries myself, I know we tend to be short-tempered, but this guy is going too far and gives us aries-folks a bad reputation.

If we wasn't in France, I'd sue him. [lol]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaBrudders
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaBrudders   E-mail DaBrudders   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't believe in horoscopes and I'm a Taurus so don't even bother trying to change my mind about it.
Okay, I think I know what to do...
[fish]

Posts: 40 | From: Germany | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Fourth Man:
The story was reported with more details in the French press. Apparently, the guy has filed quite a number of loony lawsuits in the last six months.

Story (in French)

Aw, it doesn't give details on the other lawsuits. [Frown]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
Being an Aries myself, I know we tend to be short-tempered, but this guy is going too far and gives us aries-folks a bad reputation.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN WE'RE SHORT TEMPERED?!?!! [flame]

PS. All caps used for shouting soley for the purposes of humour.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fortunately, in Europe, such ludicrous lawsuits are much less likely to succeed than in the US.

And this statement is based on ... what exactly? Any, you know, proof or evidence to back it up?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ratface
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratface   E-mail ratface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I thought that was a headline from The Onion. It actually isn't bad - kind of a play on the "area man..." headlines they use.

Area man... aries man... get it?

Hello, is this thing on?

Posts: 28 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ratface:
Hey, I thought that was a headline from The Onion. It actually isn't bad - kind of a play on the "area man..." headlines they use.

Area man... aries man... get it?

Hello, is this thing on?

Apparently not....

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nightfall
The First USA Noel

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Nightfall   E-mail Nightfall   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoring Has Broken:
quote:

And this statement is based on ... what exactly? Any, you know, proof or evidence to back it up?

Pogue

If I remember correctly, many European countries have a system where the loser of a civil litigation pays the court fees. Therefore, many European people aren't as willing to bring to court civil suits if there is a chance that they will have to pay for the proceedings if they loose.

--------------------
Darkness comes where Nightfall goes. -- from The Legend of Nightfall

Posts: 791 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]If I remember correctly, many European countries have a system where the loser of a civil litigation pays the court fees. Therefore, many European people aren't as willing to bring to court civil suits if there is a chance that they will have to pay for the proceedings if they loose. [/QB][/QUOTE]

This is correct. If you lose, you are charged with the court fees, and of course you have to pay your lawyer, too. So, suing someone for an unlikely reason in order to get money is pretty risky from a financial point of view.

Plus, european mentality and legislation may have another vision of personal responsibility, so, to take an example, sueing a cigarette manufacturer because you have lung cancer or sueing McDo because you're too fat has no chance to succeed. After all, no one forced you to eat or smoke their stuff.

Besides,Pogue,looney lawsuits in the USA have achieved a legendary status. A quick google-search led me to this site:

http://www.atra.org/display/13

or this one, from Michigan:

http://www.mlaw.org/wwl/loonylawsuits.html

... and I can tell you every one of them would cause a european judge to laugh himself sick (as you see from a single german case cited on the first site).

--------------------

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although, playing devils advocate for a while, I'll point out that all the cases in the last post either failed or contain no information on verdict.

You'll have to show crazy cases that actually won.

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

So here's a couple of recent cases that might be considered "looney", and they won...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4289892.stm
quote:

Beheading video man sent to jail

A man who used his mobile phone to replay footage of a beheading in Iraq to a hotel shop worker has been jailed for 60 days.

Subhaan Younis, 23, played the images to shocked Charlotte McClay last September at a hotel in Glasgow.

BTW That one was a criminal case, not civil.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4295968.stm
quote:
The Danish air force has admitted causing the death of Rudolph the reindeer and has paid compensation to Father Christmas.

Olovi Nikkanoff, one of Denmark's professional Santa Clauses, says his reindeer died of shock as fighter planes flew low overhead.

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

These are strange, but not really looney cases.

The first guy is a sicko who deserves to get jailed. I wonder if he thought showing this revolting footage would be a successful pick-up tactic. The lady could have run away instead of watching it, however, but maybe she couldn't or was too surprised to do so.

The second case is quite classical. Whole chicken farms or sheep flocks can be decimated by an overflying jet, and all the world's air forces are faced with such lawsuits from time to time. It's just more original because the plaintiff is a professional Santa Claus.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages