snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Legal Affairs Archive » Woman sues after girls try to deliver cookies to her door (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Woman sues after girls try to deliver cookies to her door
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know PM, I think it's pretty late. Most of my neighborhood is dark by 9:30/10. Then again when I lived in Boston, it seemed everyone stayed up later. Crazy EST! The news is suppossed to be on at 10!

And there's this thread .

ETA: Though I think it's late, I think the woman suing is ridiculous.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The cookie conflict isn't over yet. The spat between two teens from the southwestern Colorado town of Durango and one of their neighbors over a batch of cookies they baked last summer has garnered national publicity over the past week. It has led to donations for the girls.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050210/D885V3I01.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The parents of one of the teens asked for a restraining order against Herb Young, accusing him of making harassing phone calls. He admitted calling the Ostergaards once after hearing the teens were talking to a newspaper and at one point said "the gloves were off," which apparently was taken as a threat.

I don't know about Colorado, but where I come from, when you say "the gloves are off" you'd better believe it's a threat. What did he hope to achieve? I'm sure neither party wanted it to escalate to this point, and the girls did make a mistake in the first place, but the Youngs seem to have brought this all on themselves. He's saying no one is listening to their side, but he isn't offering a different view.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure sounds like a threat, though I wonder, was that before or after the lawsuit? That might be what he meant.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe if he wouldn't go around saying thngs like this:

quote:
"It's horrible, nobody has heard our side," said Herb Young, adding the couple has had to hire a lawyer. "I don't believe the girls meant for this to happen. But they could have prevented it from happening if they had just shut their mouths when they came out of (small claims) court. Now they are caught in something they can't control."
I might be able to muster up some sympathy for them. But comments to a journalist along the lines of "if they had just shut their mouthes"? My he sounds like a charming man...

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From reading the articles, I gathered that the girls already felt bad, and offered to pay her medical bills, and she didn't think that was good enough and just -needed- to take them to court. If someone had done that to me, I don't think I would have "kept my mouth shut" either. That's just crass. And now that this couple has to deal with the fallout from their shoddy behaviour, they're pissed. I'm not saying they were in the right for running over there late at night and scaring her, but this is just over the top.

Then again, I could have read the articles wrong.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quote:
"The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking."

huh? Bullsh*t. I heard this story read aloud in my English class and nearly laughed until I peed at this statement. Come on now. This is probably the most ridiculous sue-happy BS case I have ever heard. Worse than the fat people suing McDonald's. Some people are just way to money hungry for their own good.
Why would she be "so shaken" that she had to go to the hospital. The card said "have a nice night" not "you're going to die tonight, bitch." I would have probably not eaten them, just throwing them away. But going to the hospital over it? Come the hell on.
RIDICULOUS!!!

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Restraining Order Filed in Cookie Case

A hearing on a restraining order was scheduled for the family of one of two girls ordered to pay $930 in medical bills to a woman who claimed the delivery of a plate of cookies scared her to the hospital.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050217/D88AD7F80.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rotten little boys
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"All this over cookies," she said. "Our home is like a funeral parlor. They've robbed us of our laughter. My spirit, my soul, is damaged." said Ms. Young.

Boy, she really can not see it can she? All over cookies.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady, "your spirit, your soul," was damaged long before this happened.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 03 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She can't compromise her principles? That's because she doesn't have any.

ETA: I speak as one who is prone to panic attacks, doesn't like anyone knocking on my door at any time unless they've announced that they are coming over, wouldn't eat food from an unidentified source, and was recently frightened by a PNM crew barging into my yard with chainsaws.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know I actually want to feel sorry for this woman. I think she is definitely getting way way more than she bargained on when she initially started this lawsuit - but she just does not help her case whenever she is interviewed.

If just once she would say she now regrets the lawsuit and that in hindsight she realises the girls meant no harm and that she should never have sued then maybe she'd be able to get some peace.

As long as she refuses to see that she played a big part in creating the situation she now finds herself in, I think she's going to be unhappy for a very long time.

Oh and she should tell her husband to knock it off with the phone calls.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the statement that made me blink: "Fifteen years ago, I was assaulted by one of my neighbors as I was taking my children to meet the school bus, and I wondered if somehow the incident was connected to that. "

You were assaulted 15 years ago and you immediately think the 2 incidents are connected? I think she needs some counseling if that's true.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cat Grey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat Grey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also a bit curious about Young's legal "victory." (Several of the articles use that word.) The judge ruled that the teens (and their families) should pay the medical costs, but did not award any punitive damages. Since the families had *already* offered to pay the medical costs, how is this a "victory?"

That isn't an entirely rhetorical question, by the way. If the offer the girls made differed from the judge's ruling - say, they wanted to pay in installments, and the judge told them to pay it all now - then it would qualify as a victory. If the judge's decision essentially upholds the families' initial offer, then the lack of punitive damages would be a defeat for Young... right?

Someone mentioned that it sounded like the lawyers were the problem in this situation. I'm not so sure; it looks like this deluge of media attention is rather more of a problem.

I'd like to hear more of Young's reasoning. She says she still feels that going to court was the right thing to do (and, if they couldn't resolve the matter amiably, then it was - certainly better than some sort of vendetta). However, she doesn't say *why* she thinks so. (Or maybe she does say, and no one reports it?) Did she think the families' offer was insufficient? If so, why? Does she think the girls need to be punished for scaring her?

My cynical side (which is, come to think of it, most of my brain) says she was just out to get some extra money from playing the victim... but it's also possible that she has a valid point, which isn't getting reported because she doesn't happen to be a photogenic teenage girl.

For the record, I live in a suburban area with extremely little crime, and I still answer the door with a weapon if I'm not expecting visitors. I don't actually expect a burglar to knock first, but you never know...

Cat "poor judgement all around" Grey

--------------------
"Beer assuages grief. No one tells you that." ~Arrow-Tech IV

Posts: 1612 | From: Darkest America (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The girls showed poor judgement, yes. Had my sister or I done something that disturbed a neighbor my mother would have dragged us over to the neighbor's house so we could express an apology.

But...given that there is now a restraining order against the woman's husband, is it possible that the families did not want to subject their girls to possible abuse (verbal or physical)? We don't know what his reaction was when he learned of these events. Since he obviously feels that making threatening phone calls is appropriate, it's not too far of a stretch to think that he may have done that at the very beginning, prompting the families to get an attorney and warn the girls to stay away from the husband if possible.

And then it goes downhill from there...

Quite frankly my first reaction when I heard that the girls were leaving cookies on people's doorstep was to think of the Laurie Dan case in Illinois. A nanny had been fired from her job so she left poisoned baked good on the doorsteps of the family's neighborhood, went to the kids' school and started shooting, ran from the cops, and hid in someone's house, where she killed herself.

I still wouldn't sue someone who left cookies on my doorstep, though. I'd probably throw them away...

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kittykatt82
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes... Durango. My husband and I actually got married there in December (he was raised there since he was five).

My guess is that these people really just have nothing better to do with their time than sue people over some cookies and start some drama.

Very sad.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages