snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Legal Affairs Archive » Don't Use Those Words: Fox News Owns Them

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't Use Those Words: Fox News Owns Them
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fox News is suing comedian and writer Al Franken in the New York courts, attempting to stop the sale of his forthcoming book, "Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right." Fox claims that Franken may not use the expression "fair and balanced" because it has been trademarked by Fox News and that Franken's book would confuse viewers about the source of the book and about the objectivity of its coverage.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wxxi/news.newsmain?action=article&ARTICLE_ID=533842

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, Fox does NOT seem to be contesting Franken's assertion that its employees are liars who tell lies....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
..."parasite," "shrill and unstable"...a person whose "views lack any serious depth or insight." ..."intoxicated or deranged".
Sounds to me like the perfect candidate for a job behind one of Fox's "news" desks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Interestingly, Fox does NOT seem to be contesting Franken's assertion that its employees are liars who tell lies....

Lying Liars, Brad.

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fox claims that Franken may not use the expression "fair and balanced" because it has been trademarked by Fox News
I''m certain that the phrase appears in books which pre-dates Fox News' claim; probably in some pre-datinng the existence of Fox News! Probably in books old enough that the term has passed into the public domain. All he needs do is plenty of reading of old books.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung

Icon 01 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, I wonder if FOX will be forced to prove that its news actually contains those two ingredients before it can enforce its trademark.

--------------------

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 205 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm certain that the phrase appears in books which pre-dates Fox News' claim; probably in some pre-datinng the existence of Fox News! Probably in books old enough that the term has passed into the public domain. All he needs do is plenty of reading of old books.
The fact that words or phrases have been in common use does not prevent their being registered as a trademark (nor do they "pass into public domain," since they were never "out" of the public domain in the first place).

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 01 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fox and Franken locked in title bout

NEW YORK — Perhaps Fox News Channel should have tracked Spike Lee's losing lawsuit against Viacom more closely before filing suit against comedian Al Franken's forthcoming book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right."

http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-et-jensen15aug15,1,4846451.story

The Eyeball Kid
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for The Eyeball Kid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not seeing what the fuss is all about, really. Since Larry Flynt went through his ordeal in the 80's and the US Supreme Court ruled that "parody is a protected form of free speech by the Constitution", Al Franken really has nothing to worry about.

EK

--------------------
I gotta keep movin' while I still can / I got a two-pack habit and a motel tan. --Steve Earle

Posts: 425 | From: very close to a snoring black pug. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 205 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, FoxNews trademarked "Fair & Balanced," as opposed to "Fair and Balanced" used on Franken's book.

Besides, nobody's going to mistake Franken's book for a FoxNews joint, so I guess Bill O'Reilly's gonna get a nice Christmas gift from the Franken clan this year.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There has to be an award for the most ridiculous use of trademarks and copyrights...

Years ago TSR Inc., the makers of Dungeons & Dragons, issued an Indiana Jones role-playing game and put copyright signs against the words 'Nazi' and 'Goon', appearing on game counters.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hillary K., fair and balanced
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Hillary K., fair and balanced   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hillary K., fair and balanced   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, how long 'til I get the lawyers sicced on me?

Hillary "really couldn't resist" K.

--------------------
"See that there is evil, and know that there is good."

Love can conquer anything. (for HR)

Home of the dynasty

Posts: 342 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kokopelli

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There has to be an award for the most ridiculous use of trademarks and copyrights...

Years ago TSR Inc., the makers of Dungeons & Dragons, issued an Indiana Jones role-playing game and put copyright signs against the words 'Nazi' and 'Goon', appearing on game counters.

That's an old, old story, and not really true.

From this site

quote:
Q. Didn't TSR trademark the word "Nazi"?
A. It may seem bizarre to include such a specific question in a FAQ, but
the number of times the thing comes up really does justify it.
The quick answer is "no." What seems to have happened is that TSR's old
"Indiana Jones" game included an illustration or cardboard figure of a Nazi
soldier (as a villain), with a "TM" symbol next to the word. The myth grew
from there. However, what was being trademarked was NOT the word, but the
associated image. Furthermore, the trademarks in that product were claimed,
not by TSR, but by Lucasfilm (makers of the Indiana Jones movies).
However, some people refuse to let mere facts get in the way of a good
urban legend. This one is amazingly persistent. If you try to resurrect it
on the newsgroup, expect to be derided by the old hands.
Plenty of people on the newsgroup find plausible reasons to mock the
old regime at TSR (and others are ready to defend the company). But please
leave the "Nazi(TM)" canard out of it.

[Edited to fix link]
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
re the Indiana Jones role-playing-game, nope: I have it, and the TM is used adjacent to the TEXT, "Nazi."

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fact that words or phrases have been in common use does not prevent their being registered as a trademark (nor do they "pass into public domain," since they were never "out" of the public domain in the first place).
Though AIUI (from a US copyright lawyer after some previous hassles) in the case where a phrase is already in common use, you can register it, but you can't prevent others from using that phrase. Here in the UK, to trademark a phrase or word, it has to be associated with a particular typeface or logo since the words on their own can't be trademarked.

So (under UK interpretation at least) TSR could, have trademarked "Nazi" in a strange typeface in particular colours, but could not claim the word on its own.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kilrati

quote:
All he needs do is plenty of reading of old books.

I don't think Al Franken does that a lot.
Aureal
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Aureal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
re the Indiana Jones role-playing-game, nope: I have it, and the TM is used adjacent to the TEXT, "Nazi."

Was anybody challenging that fact? The quoted article agrees with you.
Posts: 698 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KeithB

Fisher Price "Little People" trademark the names of the characters like "Michael" or "Sarah."

KeithB(TM)

Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the OP:

Fox News loses attempt to block satirist's book

Story at CNN

U.S. District Judge Denny Chin, after listening to about half an hour of oral arguments, said the lawsuit was "wholly without merit, both factually and legally."

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my favorite part:

quote:
Attorney Dori Hanswirth, representing Fox News ... contended that Franken's book cover did not qualify as satire.

"This is much too subtle to be considered a parody," she said.

Gee, what part of "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" do you think she found too subtle?

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: from another CNN story on this case.

quote:
U.S. District Judge Denny Chin Friday found "no evidence of actual confusion" in the parody, which he called "a form of artistic expression protected by the First Amendment" to the Constitution.

"I don't know if Fox is arguing that its viewers are less sophisticated than those who would buy Mr. Franken's book," Chin said in court. "But either way, I think we are talking about relatively sophisticated consumers here."

Me-ow!!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung

Did anyone really think that FOX/O'Reilly's attempt to subvert the constitution was anything more than a bad joke? Perhaps in this postmodernist world we have seen the birth of the ironic lawsuit.

--------------------

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now we just need someone at FOX to write a book entitled "Al Franken is a Dorky, Unfunny Leftist Stooge," and the scales will be rebalanced.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major

quote:
Originally posted by First of Mroww:
Now we just need someone at FOX to write a book entitled "Al Franken is a Dorky, Unfunny Leftist Stooge," and the scales will be rebalanced.

I'm sure Franken's publisher is drooling at the prospect. With enemies like FOX, who needs a publicist on the payroll?
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the CNN story I posted above:

quote:
"It's time to return Al Franken to the obscurity he's normally accustomed to," a Fox spokeswoman later told CNN.
quote:
Penguin now has 510,000 copies of Franken's book in print, having initially shipped nearly 300,000 copies to stores before it went on sale last week.

The book is ranked first on Amazon.com's bestseller list.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy, FoxNews really stepped on its NFBSK with this one...

If by "fair and balanced" they main "far-right, non-sensical ramblings," okay, then I can see their point.

However, I do find it rather amusing that the blatant left-wing bias that is CNN (and most major networks) has finally met its match for innuendo, spin, and partisanship. These two networks were MADE for eachother...

MSNBC for me, thanks!

Isaac
Happy Holly Days

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Isaac         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if FOX has trademarked the term "homicide bomber" also.

--------------------
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.

Posts: 1600 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 01 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Fox should have expected to help Franken's book by filing this lawsuit. That was a dumb move on their part. Although it was funny seeing a lawsuit that really just made fun of Al Franken. It's like the suit was less about protecting their phrase and more about an opportunity to say that Franken was unfunny.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bill o Reilliy still wants to sue. Can't find a link, but on Countdown he was quoted as saying "If Al Franken is a satirest then I'm Jeniffer Lopez"

Should a letter be writen to Ms. Lopez asking why she had a make-over?

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages