snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Legal Affairs Archive » The Admiralty flag

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Admiralty flag
marimba
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In a nutshell, the idea is that any U.S. flag with a gold fringe embroidered around the edge is not a real U.S. flag but a so-called "Admiralty flag." This loophole means that you don't have to recognize the authority of most courts (since most U.S. courts use that flag).

Almost assuredly this is false, yet they have the unbreakable attention of die-hard libertarians and tinpot Thomas Jeffersons who also spend a lot of time on the hot-button water fluoridation issue.

Here are a couple of example sites, although they're all over the net:
http://www.best-of-all.com/beat_the_irs.htm
http://user.icx.net/~drherb/fringe.html
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/flag.htm

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Fed
Happy Holly Days

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Mr. Fed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Fed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoo boy, don't get me started on these bozos. Back when I was a federal prosecutor (hence the handle) I prosecuted several tax protestors for tax evasion; they always filed voluminous, curiously spelled motions saying that the court had no jurisdiction because it was flying a gold-fringed flag. Also heard one of the best lines ever from a judge:
Protestor: Your honor, because this court flies that gold-fringed flag, it is a court of Admiralty and has no jurisdiction over me.
Judge: I'll just pretend that you're a boat.

BTW, every one of these nimrods that I encountered had once held a government job -- and thus was paid by taxes.

--------------------
With occasional, half-hearted, semi-literate blogging comes great responsibility.

Posts: 1621 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ravenhull

I don't know much about he US Flag argument in this case, but there could be a simular precedent here in Alabama. The flag you see over most schools and other civic buildings in this state are not technically the flag of Alabama. The true flag of Alabama is a white square with a red X through it, and has the gold fringes.

As for the rectangular white flag with a red X you see over most buildings. Well, lets say folks from England proper get a little chuckle.

'Hail Brittania'

da Donovan

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Fed:
Hoo boy, don't get me started on these bozos. Back when I was a federal prosecutor (hence the handle) I prosecuted several tax protestors for tax evasion; they always filed voluminous, curiously spelled motions saying that the court had no jurisdiction because it was flying a gold-fringed flag. Also heard one of the best lines ever from a judge:
Protestor: Your honor, because this court flies that gold-fringed flag, it is a court of Admiralty and has no jurisdiction over me.
Judge: I'll just pretend that you're a boat.

BTW, every one of these nimrods that I encountered had once held a government job -- and thus was paid by taxes.

Great come-back from the judge! I'm quite astonished that *any* of these jerks would be government employees, let alone all of 'em! Talk about yer reeking hypocrisy!

I first heard about this "admiralty" poo at a gun show, from a raving loonie who couldn't form a declarative sentence and who couldn't answer the simplest of yes-or-no questions. Since then, I've done quite a bit of internet research, and have found quite a lot of utterly hilarious "repatriation" sites, nearly all of which have a completely worthless interpretation of the 14th Amendment.

As for the gold fringe... Sheesh! It looks cool, okay? I'm sure some vendor made a great deal and sold a blort-load of 'em to courthouses all across the country.

Hey, if I'm ever charged with a crime, I'm gonna demand that they refer to Imperial Californian rules as set down by the Emperor Norton...

That's worth just about as much as the "Get Out Of Jail Free" card from Monopoly that I keep in my wallet. (Which, if I am ever arrested, I will produce...in hopes of raising a chuckle, at least, from the arresting officer!)

Silas (what can I say but -- Sheesh!) Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be surprised if US courts derived their authority from the flags they fly. I mean, seeing you've got a written constitution, wouldn't the courts be constituted according to that? I suspect that a US court could fly the flag of the Chinese Communist Party and still retain its powers.

Kate "unflagging" S

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
marimba

The core of my question is... why the yellow fringe and what if anything does it mean? I'm sure it doesn't mean what those bozos say it means. But I'm wondering if it ever carried any meaning at all, which now may be vestigial.
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site seems to have a good explanation.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ravenhull:
[QBAs for the rectangular white flag with a red X you see over most buildings. Well, lets say folks from England proper get a little chuckle.

'Hail Brittania' [/QB]

I don't mean to be pedantic, but . . . oh, hell -- I'm going to be pedantic. (Pedantry about flags is what the thread's about, isn't it?)

The English flag is a red cross (+) on a white background, not a saltire (X) as on the Alabama flag.

There is a red saltire incorporated into the Union Flag, but that represents Ireland, I think. (I could look it up, but I'm too lazy).

VeebleFetzer

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The emblems that appear on the Union Flag are the crosses of three patron saints:

The red cross of St George, for England, on a white ground.

The white diagonal cross, or saltire, of St Andrew, for Scotland, on a blue ground.

The red diagonal cross attributed to St Patrick, for Ireland, on a white ground (the cross remains in the flag although now only Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom; southern Ireland is an independent republic)

The national flag of Wales is a red dragon on a field of white and green. Wales is not represented in the Union Flag because when the first version of the flag appeared Wales was already united with England, but the Welsh flag is in widespread use throughout the Principality.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages