snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Can This Black Box See Into the Future?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can This Black Box See Into the Future?
John Howell
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
DEEP in the basement of a dusty university library in Edinburgh lies a small black box, roughly the size of two cigarette packets side by side, that churns out random numbers in an endless stream.

At first glance it is an unremarkable piece of equipment. Encased in metal, it contains at its heart a microchip no more complex than the ones found in modern pocket calculators.

But, according to a growing band of top scientists, this box has quite extraordinary powers. It is, they claim, the 'eye' of a machine that appears capable of peering into the future and predicting major world events.

The machine apparently sensed the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Centre four hours before they happened - but in the fevered mood of conspiracy theories of the time, the claims were swiftly knocked back by sceptics. But last December, it also appeared to forewarn of the Asian tsunami just before the deep sea earthquake that precipitated the epic tragedy.

Full article here: http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=126649#121

Additional information here: http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

Can someone please explain to me in simpleton terms how this box predicts the future? Do the random numbers count in order before a major event or what?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zipper69
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zipper69   E-mail Zipper69   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
=============================
on September 6, 1997, something quite extraordinary happened: the graph shot upwards, recording a sudden and massive shift in the number sequence as his machines around the world started reporting huge deviations from the norm. The day was of historic importance for another reason, too.

For it was the same day that an estimated one billion people around the world watched the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales at Westminster Abbey.
===============================

Oh puh-leez !!

--------------------
What shall be tomorrow think not of asking.
Each day that Fortune gives you, be it what it may, set down for gain.
(Horace)

Posts: 80 | From: Breda, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The General

quote:
Originally posted by John Howell:
[QUOTE] Can someone please explain to me in simpleton terms how this box predicts the future? Do the random numbers count in order before a major event or what?

Well, coming from a simpleton like me, as far as I can tell it has to do with the proximity of random numbers generated in differing parts of the world by different machines. The closer the number approach each other, the higher the rating of an incident/event.

As far as I can tell, if there are spikes of random numeric values becoming close in content...then it implies that at those moments some type of unified power/thought process is going on. They could proceed major events that would affect the world and hence predict them.

It looks like it has to be related to humans though...mass ecological events, with corresponding wildlife die off, don't seem to register.

Take that, as well as a healthy dose salt, as you will.

Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"49, 22, 18, 04, 76."

"What's that girl?"

"33, 69, 11, 03, 82."

"Timmy's fallen into the well?!?"

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
"49, 22, 18, 04, 76."

"What's that girl?"

"33, 69, 11, 03, 82."

[lol] snort [lol]

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Black-Box-A-Chow

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
verycoolnin

Woops, didn't realize it was already posted.
tanta07
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanta07   E-mail tanta07   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Electrotiger:
"49, 22, 18, 04, 76."

"What's that girl?"

"33, 69, 11, 03, 82."

Bwahahahaha!
Posts: 253 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueMonday

Just don't put your hand in it...

The Pain!

Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueMonday:
Just don't put your hand in it...

The Pain!

[Big Grin]
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mairzydotes
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mairzydotes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mairzydotes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"But we won't know exactly what will happen or where it's going to happen"

How foretelling.

--------------------
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating part of the body. Then I realized, look what's telling me that. -Emo Philips

Posts: 36 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Uraunde

it's like all those self-proclaimed "medium"-people who predicted the death of the Pope for years now. Well, this year they were finally right. (And most of them would tell you that they can't predict a specific date because in their visions, time doesn't matter, so it can be tomorrow or in 5 years) How miraculous! I mean everyone could have told that John Paul wouldn't last that long anymore - so it's more common sense than anything else.
So I could predict that Pope Benedictus XVI will die... he will, some time in the future anyway. I'm sorry I can't give you any particular date or year because it could be this year as it could be in 20 years. Big deal.

Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

uh-oh, the plane is going to crash and we'll be LOST on an uninhabited island!

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
verycoolnin

Hah, the best reply yet.
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This doesn't sound too promising now. However, if the machine spits out "My name is Hari Seldon, and the end is near" (10 pointss for reference), I'm gonna start sweating.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Emke
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emke   E-mail Emke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Menolly:
This doesn't sound too promising now. However, if the machine spits out "My name is Hari Seldon, and the end is near" (10 pointss for reference), I'm gonna start sweating.

Isaac Asimov , and it's one of the Empire and Foundation books, but I'm not sure which. Do i still get my points ? [Big Grin] [fish]

--------------------
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 30 | From: Mechelen, Belgium | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Howell:
[QUOTE] (snip) But, according to a growing band of top scientists, this box has quite extraordinary powers. It is, they claim, the 'eye' of a machine that appears capable of peering into the future and predicting major world events. (snip)

It's totally true. This black box can see one full hour into the future. The only problem is that it takes 60 minutes to process the information and spit out the findings. [fish]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
in 100 million years time this box will spit out the number 42!

truely this is the (2nd) most powerfull computer ever designed if it can do this!

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages