snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » ghost hunting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ghost hunting
ghosthunter14
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
have any of yoou ever been ghost hunting.....if you have wat happened?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, some years back.

A college friend of mine said that his uncle and aunt were sure their house was haunted. There was a story that in the early 1900s, a carpenter built the house for himself and his wife, but later he went crazy, killed his wife, and hanged himself. My friend's aunt and uncle said that sometimes at night they heard the sound of hand-sawing, followed by a clatter as the end of the sawed board fell to the floor. It seemed to come from the attic. From time to time, they also heard footsteps rushing up the stairs. Once they thought the footsteps had gone into the room next to their bedroom, and the uncle ran in. He said the closet door shut just as he stepped into the room, so he turned on the light and yanked the closet door open. All the clothes hanging there began to sway violently, but no one was in the closet.

We crept all through the attic of the house and found it had been expanded at some point--the old roof, complete with shingles, was the "floor" of part of the attic. We found lots of loose odds and ends of boards (when the house was expanded, nobody bothered to pick these up, apparently), but no ghostly carpenter. The uncle tried to spook us once by throwing something up the stair so it would clatter on the landing, but I saw him do it, and he admitted he was trying to creep us out.

Other than that, no ghosts.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faeriefeet
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeriefeet   E-mail Faeriefeet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A group of friends and I frequently go "ghost-hunting" though it's not always ghosts we find. We've encountered many different energies. We dabble in autowriting to communicate. Some of us channel. It's interesting to say the least. We've had some pretty good results, and we're saving money to buy fancy equipment to detect what we cannot.
Posts: 54 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ghosthunter14

man....that equipment is expensive
Faeriefeet
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeriefeet   E-mail Faeriefeet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ghosthunter14:
man....that equipment is expensive

Yeah it is...and we're all poor, so it's gonna take some time.
Posts: 54 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friend of a Fiend

oh, the things I could spend your money on instead...
schnoz212

Ghosthunter14,
I made a post in your real ghost thread that really should have been posted here. Hope it helps.

Craig "should have paid attention to what thread I was in" Adkins

Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I've gone on more wild ghost chases than I'd care to remember (I also participated in giving preliminary test for people claiming psychic abilities). So far I've never seen a ghost or a person with paranormal abilities but I've had a few interesting experiences.

The place that most humoured my friend and I was The Devil's Trampling Ground in Siler City NC. Its located about 5 miles down the road from a Hardee's. Anyway we went in and interviewed the locals (who were willing to talk with us... some just thought we were of the devil, other's thought we were insane). It was funny how many people truly feared the location. It was also funny when someone told us it was just an abandon maple mill (there may be a lot of truth to that story and some structure remains can be found nearby but truth isn't interesting). Anyway the actual location was a bit disappointing as it has started to grow over but we did have some unexpected finds. There were empty snack bags and used condoms everywhere. It was just a fun outing. The place is in a wooded area which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. That in itself made it spooky. We have a tape of our visit (very Blair Witch style but done long before the movie was made). The guy I was with made fun of my choice of weapons (a hammer) then he screamed when he saw a burnt tree (he said he thought it was a druid... still not sure why he has such a fear of druids).

We had a lot of non-events. Most haunted houses and the Brown Mountain Lights have always been a good examples of this. The Brown Mountain Lights are supposed to be mysterious lights or "swamp gas". Many friends and I have been out there many times and have never seen anything. Actually we do see headlights and planes but nothing interesting. Many of the psychic test our group has done has had the same level of boredom. Many times it consist of someone claiming to be able to remotely see cards or other such phenom and then hours of them guessing cards thinking there's something to their ability when they just get right around average for random guess... which isn't many at all. Many times there's no oddity, no hoax, no nothing. Its often just something that someone believes in but doesn't seem to actually exist or at the very least it doesn't seem to have any influence over the physical world.

There are some easily solved mysteries like the ghost hills that vehicles suposedly roll up. Its often a hill on hill optical illusion. If you actually get out there with boards, strings and levels you'll find that most of the hill is actually a downward slant.

There were two times when we did get freaked out (oddly neither was at a recognized "haunted" location). Actually three times if you count the coffee shop waitress that used to pour cups of coffee for the resident ghost.

The first was when we got lost and found the town that time forgot (on the way to explore a phenom). It was in the mountains of Applachia, we were low on gas and very lost when we came across the community. It consited of quite a few houses (but no cars were visable) and a church (the bridge going to the church wasn't made for automobiles). It was a really spooky place. Sadly, or maybe fortunately, we never saw any of the inhabitants... although before we went exploring we agreed to make a run for it if we heard banjo music.

The other time was when we were trying to find a campground for the night (we traveled on a shoestring budget). We saw an off named campgroud ad and followed the signs. When we got to the "campground" we found that it was a green field surrounded by a circle of mobile homes. We were afraid the people in the homes might hunt campers but a place to stay is a place to stay. We went up to the office and everything was dead (there were a bunch of planters and pots for plants but everyone of them was brown and dried up). Ok, so they don't keep the place up, fine. We don't see anyone in the office so we pick up their flyer to see if we can find the rates. On the front of the advert was a scary image of a mountain and full moon... it looked like a Halloween picture... now, we started to get concerned but still we waited for someone to show up. While we were waiting we were admiring how many dead plants were there and generally looking around. We even opened a freezer case that was on the porch (we were just bored). It wasn't plugged in, it wasn't cold but it held a lone object, a carton of ice cream, that was solid (it wasn't cold either but more like it just dried up in its original shape). Ok, that was too much for us to try to explain and we decide to get the hell out of there pretty darn pronto.

I still have a bunch of tapes of our adventures. My friend has a bunch of notes and background research we did on the sites. We've thought about trying to make it into a book but I doubt anyone would be interested. Besides, as I said, most of the visits were non-events. Aside from some odd statements that the locals have made there really isn't anything to tell. Been there, done that, didn't see anything odd just isn't a good tale.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages