snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Photos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photos
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the b3ta.com newsletter...

>> Look at these photos carefully <<
"Last week I drove to a nearby town. The town
is surrounded by tall hills and mountains,
and you can have a very pleasant hike down
any of the numerous trails there. Anyway,
I was climbing one trail and enjoying the
good weather when I saw what looked like a
silver box. When I approached, I saw it was
a digital camera!" writes a mysterious
messageboard poster. Possibly a viral thingie
for a game but we greatly enjoyed examining
these photos.
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=144008

Some of the suggestions in the forum get quite OTT, but I thought some snopesters may like a look at it. Some of the pictures are actually quite nice, and many subject to over analysis by the posters.

There are a number of parts up for question...

Is the original poster's story true? Not sure, seems unlikely on first impressions.
Have the images been shopped? I vote no.
Was the camera left with intent? Very much doubt it
What was the point of the pictures if not taken by the poster? Were they ment to look ghostly/spooky or just artistic?

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the people on that forum suffer from over active imaginations. [Smile]

The photos are cool but I didn't find them at all creepy. I think they're trying to be artistic. I very much doubt the guy found the camera and probably cooked up the story jsut to see what kind of reaction the photos would get. Maybe he's trying to see what kind of emotion they evoke.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry, but you should've read the thread further...
thanks SA.

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who should have? Me? It's 49 pages long. I'm on like page 5. What did I miss?

Gibbie

ETA: I can't get anymore pages to load in the linked thread at all. So what's beyond page 5 that I didn't see? All that I saw going on was a lot of people pointing at shapes and trying to see things in them.

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup found that now. Shame there was so much arguing and nonsense between the start and then though.

The place in which the photos were taken is lovely, and the initial photography is quite good. It's a shame that the images are shopped, trick photography could have pulled of most the images and is somewhat more skilled.

I had half wondered if some of the photos were from one of those 'art in the woods' style exhabitions, some of the figures had the appearance of rough sculptures.

ETA: The origin
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=3a6cce425825d26aa1d3fbaf5b6519c8&threadid=1194390&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
racinchikki
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it morally wrong to do that sort of thing? Because I've always harbored a wish to do some trick photography and post it, without any comment, on some more credible board, and let them make of it what they will... so I can laugh at them, knowing full well the "ghosts" are double exposures, timed exposures, or carefully-framed and -arranged hoaxes.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rinoz

I don't get it. I do see humanoids in some misty pictures, and a pair of eyes in a tree, but what is the point?
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslh92t/catspider/pshot05.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslh92t/catspider/pshot18.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslh92t/catspider/pshot19.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslh92t/catspider/pshot25.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslh92t/catspider/pshot27.jpg

And how it got 51 pages on a GTA forum is beyond me!

ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have any of you been following that thread on the gta3 board? (the one in the OP) I'm just curious because I don't know that I've ever seen people that rude before. These people were attacking anyone who showed up and questions the veracity of the photos and stories. I know we all get into some heated discussions here, but there...just wow! They were telling people who even tried to say it might be faked that they should leave and never come back.

Weird.

I know people want to believe in stuff, but I just can't believe how incredibly nasty these people are. I'm proud to be a member of this message board where nobody is like that.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Why did the Wizard cross the road?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I never got what was so cool about this story anyway. Some of those photos are absolutely beautiful, but nothing mysterious whatsoever, IMO. As far as I know, it was a hoax (I'm not reading that giant thread), but what's the big deal either way? Am I the only person who uses her digital camera to take artsy photographs, especially in the woods? Some of those photographs were wonderful, and even the ones with blur were awesome (which happens a lot on digital, don't know about film). I definitely enjoyed looking at them, but I just don't get the mystery.

I will, however, admit that I am not well educated on the topic, so if I'm making a big duh here, please let me know. [Wink]

ETA: Okay, I do see a few humanoid things in a few of the images, but come on. Could anyone truly be gullible enough (don't answer that)? For instance, this image is a simple zoom technique created by zooming in when the shutter is open (as far as I can tell...that's what it looks like to me anyway). Now I'm pissed because I can't make my camera do that neat trick. [Frown]

Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rinoz:

I think that's a hanging munchkin near the top of this one!

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gunslinger
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gunslinger   E-mail Gunslinger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My post from the thread about this in Photo Gallery:

It's from Something Awful. The ruins are the Overlook Mountain House in the Catskill mountains near Woodstock, NY. Built as a hotel after the previous hotel building on the site burned down, but was never completed and itself burned down in 1941. What's left of it is poured concrete, so it'll be creeping people out long into the future.

A guy on SA took the pictures while on vacation, added in the zombies and monkeylike things in the trees, somebody else made the website, and then everybody started posting it to various forums to laugh at the reactions (inspired by Ted the Caver).

One of the prank threads (that GTA one, in fact -- I didn't want to point it out, but since it's been linked here...) got up to 10 pages or so, with self-proclaimed photo-editing experts swearing it was real long after the perpetrators came in and admitted to it.

Posts: 34 | From: Longview, TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
quote:
Originally posted by rinoz:

I think that's a hanging munchkin near the top of this one!
Looks like a sock monkey to me.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:
Have any of you been following that thread on the gta3 board? (the one in the OP) I'm just curious because I don't know that I've ever seen people that rude before. These people were attacking anyone who showed up and questions the veracity of the photos and stories. I know we all get into some heated discussions here, but there...just wow! They were telling people who even tried to say it might be faked that they should leave and never come back.

Weird.

I know people want to believe in stuff, but I just can't believe how incredibly nasty these people are. I'm proud to be a member of this message board where nobody is like that.

Good observation. But this is small peanuts compared to people who are murdered each day because they do not believe in a particular religious position and pay homage to the related deity.

Think about what is fundamentally behind the conflict between Islam and Western Culture.

You are beheaded because you do not believe that the digital camera tells a true story.

Skepticism can get you killed very quickly in this world.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I must be missing something. Someone said a pair of eyes? Where? I saw the humanoid figures, but maybe I'm missing something? The last link made me dizzy looking at it and I didn't see anything at all.

I'm more inclined to think it's someone passing fancy to dress up and try to pass them off as spooky pictures.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes me want to take a walk in the woods behind my grandmother's house in PA and take some pictures, just to see how creepy they turn out.

Of course, when I try it'll end up being a gorgeous, bright day and they'll end up about as creepy as an episode of Harold and the Purple Crayon.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Otaku Ain't No Chicken:
I must be missing something. Someone said a pair of eyes? Where? I saw the humanoid figures, but maybe I'm missing something? The last link made me dizzy looking at it and I didn't see anything at all.

I'm more inclined to think it's someone passing fancy to dress up and try to pass them off as spooky pictures.

In this picture scary eyes, in the lower left quadrant of the picture is a very dark area (a cave or opening) with two glowing spots that look like cat eyes reflecting.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh, okay, I see it now. I thought they were specks of dirt or something like that. Eh..doesn't seem so scary to me. I'm used to seeing things like that with a house of 4 cats.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dangit! I have looked and looked, and I don't see any eyes. Still see the sock monkey, though.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Taniwha

I love this stuff, he's obviously setting us up for more, good on the guy for giving us a laugh/fright, cant wait to see where he takes this. I suspect it will be along the lines of 'took the camera back up to the trail and this is what happened, aaaagrh!!!".
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just A Horse Chestnut:
Dangit! I have looked and looked, and I don't see any eyes. Still see the sock monkey, though.

Here [URL=]web page[/URL]

In the marked area.

Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

I hate to ask, but where's the sock monkey?

I saw the eyes and it doesn't really creep me out. If I didn't have cats, I'd say they're fake. It's probably a raccon or some other critter hiding. Of course, anyone who doesn't have 'nuclear cats' (what I call the effect of cats eyes reflecting light), then I'm sure they'd be more creeped out.

--------------------

LtColCarter
Raiders of the Lost Shark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtColCarter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wild Otaku, look at the top of the picture, at the first big branch that curves down to the right from the trunk. It looks like a little tiny monkey is hanging from that branch.

--------------------
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu

Posts: 1544 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Okay, I'm blind. I see it now, thanks

--------------------

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Robigus - Thank you for the 8x10 glossy picture with the circles and arrows, but I still can't see the eyes!

Must be my monitor. Or my eyes.

10 points for the reference! [Big Grin]

Horse "Group W bench" Chestnut

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horse Chestnut:
Thank you for the 8x10 glossy picture with the circles and arrows... [snip]

10 points for the reference!

Too easy, especially for this crowd.

Four "littering ... and creating a nuisance" Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horse Chestnut:
Robigus - Thank you for the 8x10 glossy picture with the circles and arrows, but I still can't see the eyes!

Must be my monitor. Or my eyes.

10 points for the reference! [Big Grin]

Horse "Group W bench" Chestnut

Can you see it now?

-

(played with size, contrast, brightness and colour removal/enhancements)

I had no idea other people knew about Alice's Restaurant.

ranran "Four Kitties beat me to it, so that's two people...." yousei

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Ohhhhhh! There it is.

Huh, lil' eyes.

Well I'll be.

I think it's fake.

ranran yousei

[lol]

I've no doubts it's fake. Whether the eyes are drawn, or taken from another picture, however, I am uncertain.

ranran "because spooky evil no-face eyes belong in dark crevices" yousei

DemonWolf

Icon 505 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ranran yousei:

I've no doubts it's fake. Whether the eyes are drawn, or taken from another picture, however, I am uncertain.

could they by "real"? As in, the photographer place lights or reflective peices in the area to make the eyes?

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages