snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » 6-666-666-6666 On Caller ID

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 6-666-666-6666 On Caller ID
rebelangel79
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 107 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever since I got caller ID I always check it before I answer the phone. A few weeks ago, the phone rang and the caller ID had 6-666-666-6666! I was freaked out and didn't answer the phone. The part where the name goes looked like this -----. And another weird thing is that my voice mail picked up and it will let you talk for about 5 minutes- all that was on that voice mail was silence for the whole 5 minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? Or am I just crazy??
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Munchkin by proxy

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're safe, or does the devil communicate by telephone?

I have not had such a thing happen to me, but then I don't have caller ID. Shouldn't worry though.

dahdoll
Deck the Malls

Icon 107 posted      Profile for dahdoll   Author's Homepage   E-mail dahdoll   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rebelangel79:
Or am I just crazy??

You're not crazy. They're coming to get you! [Big Grin] Seriously, I don't think I would've answered the phone either! That's pretty freaky.

--------------------
"A bad acid trip does not a religion make" A friend commenting on another friend's religious charisma after a bad trip

Posts: 232 | From: NW Florida Home of the Airbrushed T-Shirts | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rebelangel79

Thanks! Weird stuff almost always happens to me!! Angel figurines moving, heavy breathing, the sound of taco bell cups falling, but nothings out of place! It's just weird!
I can't explain it!!

DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a person that likes to call numbers on his cell phone for no reason, I dialed it. It rang twice and then said it could not be completed as dialed. There is no 6 country code, but 66 is used for Thiland.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 09 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks! Weird stuff almost always happens to me!! Angel figurines moving, heavy breathing, the sound of taco bell cups falling, but nothings out of place! It's just weird!
I can't explain it!!

You sound crazy to me. Except for the heavy breathing-that is just me.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bohemian Rhapsody, um, meow?

Hm... I'm surprised Satan doesn't have blocked caller id...
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the famous computer hacker "Captain Crunch" explain how to fool caller ID and make any number you want show up. Itís pretty easy & Iím sure a quick google search will get you the instructions
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friend of a Man's Best Friend

The sound of taco bell cups falling?!? I think I just wet my pants.
Reene

quote:
I heard the famous computer hacker "Captain Crunch" ...
No, that idiot wasn't a bloody hacker. He was a phone phreak. Vast, important differences.

I suggest you all read the Jargon file.

ETA: I apologise for the snertiness, it's just one of my pet peeves.

Pak Protector

quote:
Originally posted by Friend of a Man's Best Friend:
The sound of taco bell cups falling?!? I think I just wet my pants.

This struck me so odd, I had to quote it to double the enjoyment. [Smile]
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reene:
No, that idiot wasn't a bloody hacker. He was a phone phreak. Vast, important differences.

I suggest you all read the Jargon file.

ETA: I apologise for the snertiness, it's just one of my pet peeves.

quote:
6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example.

Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Reene

See also the entry on "phreaking":

quote:
At one time phreaking was a semi-respectable activity among hackers; there was a gentleman's agreement that phreaking as an intellectual game and a form of exploration was OK, but serious theft of services was taboo.
The so-called Captain Crunch went to prison for three separate felony convictions all relating to phone fraud and similar charges.

And the idea to use the captain crunch whistle to phreak wasn't even his in the first place. Not that he ever went out of his way to correct people that credited it to him.

Very un-hackerish, if you think about it.

Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Angel figurines moving, heavy breathing, the sound of taco bell cups falling, but nothings out of place! It's just weird!
You know, there is such a thing as too much cafeine.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hendy

The Telecom caller id thingies here in New Zealand have test modes with names such as "Albert Einstein"; a few years ago there was a news story about how lots of people were getting these strange names on their machines.
Everyday the paper boy brings more
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everyday the paper boy brings more   Author's Homepage   E-mail Everyday the paper boy brings more   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Devil calls you on the phone, you should be pleased. It means he's too scared to approach you in person.
Posts: 82 | From: Dixon, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it have been an error on the phone? Like flashing all 8s? Maybe it was all 8s, but at the angel you were looking at it looked like all 6s? You should pull out the manual for the phone and see if that's an error, or if there are similar errors that could be mistaken for all 6s.
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
resEminLution types:
quote:
the angel you were looking at...
What an interesting typo given the subject. [Smile]

In any event, your satanic caller was a telemarketer. Sometimes the call centers mask the caller id information, or just transmit it strangely. There is legislation pending to require them to send accurate information but right now there are all sorts of things they can do to hide the information. The five minutes of silence? The autodialer in call centers always dials more numbers than they have operators. You just got a dead line is all.

Nothing mysterious or spooky at all

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 503 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
excuse me, rebelangel79, but does this look familiar? me thinks me smells a rat...........

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

About a year ago, I got a 000-000-0000 show up on my caller ID. I answered the phone, and a woman quickly said "wrong number." and hung up.

Besides this useless story, I have nothing else to add. Please ignore and move on. Thank you.

garde

I'm curious as to whether there was a storm going or not. Once, while at the ambulance service, a few of us were sitting in dispatch when lighting hit a short distance away. Immediately, every line on the system lit up ringing and each of us were on about our third line asking people to hold when we realized what had happened. Every line was showing up all 9's and had rung because of an over-charge on the line (telephone - not electrical) and since the change of voltage is what tells the phone it's receiving a call, they all rang. Needless to say, there was no one on any of the lines.

Garde

hendy

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Crawford:
If the Devil calls you on the phone, you should be pleased. It means he's too scared to approach you in person.

And if he calls you collect it means he's scared and cheap.
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rebelangel, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Our Caller ID service allows a caller with an unlisted phone number to enter any number he/she wants. It could be that someone with a blocked/unlisted number just kept hitting the 6 button...

Our phone message machine 'reads' the number of the caller out loud, too. It sounds like a bad rendition of a computer laughing when we get someone who keys in 000-000-0000. My boys think it's funny, tho.

Menolly

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vesta
We Three Blings

Icon 88 posted      Profile for Vesta   E-mail Vesta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Telecom caller id thingies here in New Zealand have test modes with names such as "Albert Einstein"; a few years ago there was a news story about how lots of people were getting these strange names on their machines.
Once, while I was over at the neighbors house, they got 2 calls in a row. The first one came up Diana Ross with a local number, which was a wrong number, and the second was James Brown, also with a local number, which hung up before she picked up. It was especially funny since Diana Ross had been arested not too long before in Tucson for DWI, as had James Brown (Though not in Tucson.) My neighbor suggested that maybe they were trying to drum up support.

Vesta

--------------------
Innocence, on the Bicycle of Propriety, carrying the Urn of Reputation safely over the Abyss of Indiscretion.

Posts: 1170 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ever since I got caller ID I always check it before I answer the phone. A few weeks ago, the phone rang and the caller ID had 6-666-666-6666! I was freaked out and didn't answer the phone. The part where the name goes looked like this -----. And another weird thing is that my voice mail picked up and it will let you talk for about 5 minutes- all that was on that voice mail was silence for the whole 5 minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? Or am I just crazy??

I think Satan's too shy to leave a message.

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
He Who Walks Behind The Rows

Actually, you need mystical powers to listen to his message where he says, "Uh, hi, is this Dominoes Pizza? If it is, um, I'd like four cheese pizzas and-" A demon in the backround will yell, "OLIVES!" And Satan say, "I mean four olive pizzas. And could you deliver it to 666 Devil Drive?"

Anyway, now, seriously, it's nothing. Probably one of those pranksters.

Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Caller IDs are the strangest things.

Half the time when we get a call from across town, it doesn't recognize the caller, but when my friend in the Army called FROM GERMANY it (I kid you not) said "GERMAN PAY PHONE" then the number.

Later, my GF saw that and said, "Who's Germain Pafoni?" I about wet myself.

Ok, that last part isn't true.

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rebelangel79

Icon 107 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
excuse me, rebelangel79, but does this look familiar? me thinks me smells a rat...........

OK... Now that we have possible explanations, do you still think I am lying??? What possible reason would I have for lying? I would like to know...
rebelangel79

BTW...Back in '98, we had a buttload of those plastic cups from taco bell and mcdonald's. The morning after my husbands uncle died, we were laying in bed talking and it sounded like someone was taking one cup at a time and dropping them on the floor. So, F of MBF, mop that puddle up, it's actually not that funny a story!!!
CD

What the hell could

F of MBF

possibly mean????

RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She was talking to Friend of a Man's Best Friend about the earlier post.

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cat in the Wizard Hat

This thread has me cracking up. I'm not laughing at you, RebelAngel, I'm laughing at the great responses. [Big Grin]

While I would have been scared shitless, as I am a huge wuss, I think it can probably be attributed to a malfunction in your caller ID. Otherwise, it probably is someone bypassing your caller ID purposely, or perhaps your service allows people to punch in their own number, as Menolly mentioned. Maybe someone's just pranking people that way.

As for other weird happenings, I think most people, have odd occurances in their life from time to time. Some are just able to brush it off with logic more than others. Nothing wrong with it either way.

Blue "remind me never to click a link to unsolvedmysteries.com again...I think I just went blind" Wizard

The Phantom Phreak
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Phantom Phreak   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Phantom Phreak   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
resEminLution types:
quote:
the angel you were looking at...
What an interesting typo given the subject. [Smile]

In any event, your satanic caller was a telemarketer. Sometimes the call centers mask the caller id information, or just transmit it strangely. There is legislation pending to require them to send accurate information but right now there are all sorts of things they can do to hide the information. The five minutes of silence? The autodialer in call centers always dials more numbers than they have operators. You just got a dead line is all.

Nothing mysterious or spooky at all

Gibbie

that happens to me so often it's unreal! The phone goes, and i pick it up, then the other side hangs up, and it's always a withheld number, it happens several times a day, how do these people get your number in the first place??

--------------------
We have just gotten a wake-up call from the Nintendo Generation!

Posts: 225 | From: New York, no grass... | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages