snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » True Horror: Subliminal Messages (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: True Horror: Subliminal Messages
swollen_ostrich
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 37 posted      Profile for swollen_ostrich   E-mail swollen_ostrich   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kitteneyes:
sorry, what's this baby harlequin?

The link shows a picture of a baby with this condition. In the simplest terms, if you click the link, you will see a picture of a badly deformed baby.
Posts: 96 | From: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chili_kitten
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chili_kitten   Author's Homepage   E-mail chili_kitten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
huh......i think i'll pass

--------------------
Doughnuts are my favourite dairy product

Posts: 185 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt H.:
It musta been kinda hard for those Snopsters who aren't familiar with Cradle of Filth, huh? God, I love that song...

This really doesn't have to do with anything, but I love your avatar! [Wink] It's nice to meet a fellow Type O fan on the board!
Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tricky
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me just say I have been lurking here for months now, and that my friend, scared the crap out of me. I just I would let you know you poped my SNOPES cherry. Well Done!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
garde

As I sat here, wondering if I should bother with putting my headphones on (computer is in the living room, headphones are default for sound), I figured why not. So I put them on and start listening, and thinking "why is the volume so low? I KNOW my volume doesn't need adjusting...oh, wait...didn't my wife send me something like this a ways back? ... " Just as I pull my headphones off...

Garde

He Who Walks Behind The Rows

MY GOD! That Lord's Prayer thing is scary! MY hands are still shaking as I type. God, that was scary. I'll be having nightmares.

To keep my mind off that Cradle of Filth thing, I'll just see the Emotion Eric's hamster dance.

kelliehyphen
Squall of Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelliehyphen   E-mail kelliehyphen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've a thing about subliminal messages in songs, so I clicked the 'x' instead of listening to the song. [Big Grin] I count my blessings; I hate those poppy-uppy, screamy-screamy things.
Posts: 527 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L. Name

This has become an entertaining thread. Don't know which is better, pulling the joke on people I know or just reading the reactions here.

Anyone know where there are more of these? (Not the particularly gross ones)?

kelliehyphen
Squall of Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelliehyphen   E-mail kelliehyphen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure this is one, and probably one of the best known. I remember getting something similiar in my inbox a while ago. However, I am alone in the house, it's rather gloomy outside, and, oddly, I don't have the inclination to check right now.

What's wrong with this picture?

Here's another one, that I, rather spectacularly, just fell for.

Hearing Test.

Posts: 527 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

I don't get that picture one. Can someone explain it?
Cowgal

I know from a while back that the "What's wrong with this picture" leads after a minute or whatever to either sometihng scary or a large woman's behind.

Not sure about the hearing test, what's in that?

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did both of them, but I don't want to be accused of spoiling it for everyone, I did before here. [Wink] So let me just say, you have to be extremely patient for the payoff for the "picture with 8 things wrong in it." Same with the hearing test.

Ok, I can give this much away. There's nothing gross, like the harlequin fetus photo in the other thing. Just your typical scare deal. Even when you know there's going to be something coming, you still jump a foot. Although not as bad as the nfbsking "Lord's Prayer" song.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

What scares you though?

Forgot, you can't tell.

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What scares me? I dunno...things like America's Funniest Home Videos is still on the air...when you'e in the bathroom and you realise too late there's no toilet paper...realising that Eric Idle's turned 62, when you're sure you haven't aged since the 70's...well, not in my case, I only got up to age nine in the seventies...oh wait, you mean what happens in the links?

What's there to tell? You bum around, waiting forever, and something eventually scares ya. But it's not photos of infant deformities or people's butts, nothing NFBSK. If yer too chicken to look, you'll never know. I ain't gonna spoil it anymore. Look fer yerself. I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA!!!! [Razz]

Trish "No, really, Eric Idle is 62. And he was the Cute One." DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aldiboronti
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aldiboronti   E-mail aldiboronti   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is indeed real.

NFBSK NFBSK

See here for an even more gruesome example.

(Scroll down to the middle of the page).

Posts: 55 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else think the Lord's Prayer sounded like a stoned Donald Duck?

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

I think it sounded like children who have started a Christian cult, but soon enough forget about Christianity and learn the ways of that Satan religion, whatever it's called.
kelliehyphen
Squall of Me

There are more backwards/subliminal messages in songs (with sound samples) here.
Captain Obvious

Hello everyone. First post and I have to give a link to this site I found on reverse messaging in songs. It has a lot of downloads which include forwards and backwards parts of the songs. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.reversespeech.com/music_reversals.htm

Dua1ity

Another www.albinoblacksheep.com video on urban legends is the reason I found snopes [Razz]
It talked about the "Rollercoaster of Love Scream". I did a yahoo.com search to see if it was true and snopes was the first result.

LtColCarter
Raiders of the Lost Shark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtColCarter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Crap! (the Lord's Prayer thing)!!! I, also, now know to read the rest of the posts on a thread before clicking on a link here. My cat was asleep on my desk, and I don't know which woke him up, the screech on the speakers or me jumping out of my chair and knocking my knees on the underside of the keyboard slide thingy!
Posts: 1544 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Canuck
What's My Lime?

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Dark Canuck   E-mail Dark Canuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I saw that, I jumped out of my skin and nearly pissed myself. I sent it to a friend and apparently he broke an office chair because he was leaning in it at the time he was watching the clip. I NEVER trust ANY flash animations since that one. I'm hesitant to click on falsh animations and I usually shut my eyes every few seconds because I expect something bad to happen.

Dark "Pathetic, I know" Canuck

Hey aldiboronti, do you think you could provide a description without spoiling too much. I have a policy of never clicking on links in the forums without a description [lol]

--------------------
MSN- darkcanuck@gmail.com
AIM- dark-canuck@mac.com

Posts: 132 | From: Alberta | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After the "Wanna have the crap scared out of you?" thread I can't click any of these links. I wanna know what it is but I can't look! Anyone willing to do a spoiler and tell me?

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dua1ity

Aw sanders you need to watch something relaxing.

http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/kikia.php

Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not fallin for it! [Eek!]

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Ah, Kikia...there's an old chestnut...

Trish "Just what does the writing say during that cartoon, anyhow?" daDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool car commercial with a subliminal message/ghost sighting.

http://halloweensunseen.com/autoghost.html

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tangueray and Whine
Deck the Malls

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Tangueray and Whine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tangueray and Whine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooookay, that site says to turn the sound up because there's something strange that can be heard. That's 'Net lingo for "An ugly, scary face will pop up and scream at you, causing you to pee your pants." You ain't gonna fool me THAT easily! I'm gonna go pee BEFORE I look at it! [Razz]

--------------------
If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?

Posts: 332 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aldiboronti
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aldiboronti   E-mail aldiboronti   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took a pee first and I still managed to pee my pants!
Posts: 55 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JuanWayne

yeah i wasnt about to listen to that because listening to creepy voices at night scare the crap out of me. Ebaums has that Britney Spears song played backwards where she says sleep with me im not too young and that even scares me, yeah im very leery of any flash animations anymore.
TrishDaDish

Is this what you're talking about?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Hobgoblin

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just replying to say I am not NFBSKing impressed. With the OP for not posting some warning (sure... that would take the fun of it, right?) and for myself for going against my policy of clicking on links unless I'm certain of what they go to.

I didn't turn up the volume, so that didn't make me jump at least, but random nasty pictures really upset me. I know I'm a silly, over-emotional twit for this but I had to stop myself from bursting into tears, like I did the time I was eating dinner with my bf as he was reading Bizarre, and he said, 'Hey, look at this!', holding up a picture of a man holding up a decapitated head. Don't know what shocked me the most; that he, knowing how squeamish I am actually showed it to me, the picture itself or the fact I instantly burst into tears! I can still see that sodding picture in my head now.

And as for the website, dammit I normally don't click on stuff I'm not sure of, but seems it was an OP bringing it up as some point of interest... gah. Is this some kind of 'my bad' thing or should I expect some kind of warning on these dumbass links? Netiquette or whatever?

Sorry for ranting here... balls, I have to go and have a cup of tea, my hands are shaking to badly to type!

Martha Washington

What were the scary pictures of? If it's supposed ghosts that's fine but I don't want to see chopped off body parts and things like that.
Bardic_Feline

Oh, man...that Subliminal message thing is horrible. I still remember how badly it scared me when I first watched it. It was really late at night, I was alone in my dorm room and I had all the lights out (not counting the light in my computer.) I was bored, and clicking on random things on Albino Black sheep...and I picked that one because it looked interesting. When I got to the Lord's Prayer thing, the volume got really low...I was thinking "This is creepy...corny, and obviously a hoax, but it's still creepy..." as I slowly turned up the volume...Then there were those long pauses in the track, and I started leaning closer and closer to the screen...

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Needless to say, I'm surprised I didn't have to have somebody come in resusitate me. As it was, I couldn't move for at least two minutes. I think I froze to the chair.

burnman99

quote:
Originally posted by Scarlett:
There are more backwards/subliminal messages in songs (with sound samples) here.

I listened to those and was not impressed. If you are not told what to hear, then you more than likely do NOT hear what they claim. However, it did sound like i heard "Sexy Cheney" in Stairway to Heaven.
Now THAT'S SCARY!!!

Have fun stormin' the castle!

Rog

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages