snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Holding your breath while passing a cemetery.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holding your breath while passing a cemetery.
Halsberge
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For as long as I remembered, whenever I passed a cemetery in a car, I would always hold my breath as we go by, then release it after we have passed. I remember someone telling me this a long time ago, so that way no horrible spirits could enter and inhabit the body. This is always an automatic reaction for me when we come near a cemetery.

Has anyone else heard of this or have heard of different defenses against the spirits of the dead?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, I did that as a kid. Couldn't tell you why, really - just something I picked up.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, if you were to try that when walkingnext to most cemetaries, you'd asphyxiate. Ditto for driving past two or more sides. As for driving through one....

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid we did it because of luck, if I recall correctly. Most of the time we would challenge ourselves with trying to hold it past a rather large cemetary in our slow old school bus.

Whenever questioned about driving through one, we never claimed you had to hold your breath, I think we realised it would be rather futile.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Chi

Icon 600 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've definetly heard that before, but I'm not sure where. As of right now I can't think of any defenses agaisnt the dead aside from flipping a ouija planchette over, but I remember being told by my friend to hold my breath(and duck my head) whenever our car went under a tunnel, though I can't totally remember why. I think it had to do with preventing bad luck.
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also (especially when riding a school bus) lifting up your feet while going over a railroad track. You're supposed to make a wish as you do this. I don't know how that got started.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyler

Icon 504 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And what about if you’re attending a funeral in the cemetery? Then you’re screwed.
Halsberge

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Chi:
I remember being told by my friend to hold my breath(and duck my head) whenever our car went under a tunnel, though I can't totally remember why. I think it had to do with preventing bad luck.

From what I remember, you're supposed to make a wish in your mind, hold your breath through the whole tunnel, and if you succeed in performing this action, your wish will come true.
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I remember this one too - my school bus went past one very large cemetary on one side of the road and immediately past another on the other side (in fact I think they overlapped at some point) so we had to hold our collective breaths past two big graveyards - it was always a challenge to see who would give up first. Or go blue...

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You would have a hard time doing that at one of our cemetary. Our Zentralfriendshof has about 600 acres and spanns 6 Tramstops.

Bet to say that the air would get low around the 2 one [Wink]

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ivy Bekket

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also hold my breath when crossing past cemetaries.. I started it of my own accord because I'm a superstious person like that.
It was because it was so that no spirits would inhabit my body, or so I think was the reason, but now it's second nature to me. when I go out to visit my mom and we pass a graveyard in the car together, she still comments on how silly of a person I am for doing that..

Ivy "blue in the face" Bekket

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told you hold your breath while driving by a cemetary to keep from breathing in the spirits of the dead.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mystic burrito
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 81 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one person has ever told me about the holding your breath while passing a cemetery thing. Only she say it was impolite to breath in front of ones who could not.I have odd friends.
Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages