snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Fluoride in our Water.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fluoride in our Water.
Drew
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not totally sure this hasn't been discussed here before. This is one that I’ve heard once or twice in long-winded drunken stories from conspiracy theorists and rationalists alike. One friend of mine is especially passionate about the subject. He believes that Fluoride is being added to water supplies under the guise of dental hygiene to inflict us with some sort of mind control so that the population will become more passive, and therefore easier to manipulate. I worked for North East Water for about 6 months and found out that we didn’t add fluoride, but across the border (Where I lived) that they did. Some of the technicians told me it was nasty stuff and that it reduced calcium levels in your bones making ostio-perosis levels higher. No one knew anything about mind control though. Has anyone heard of this? The below link is the first CT site I came across. (If this has been discussed already, sorry.)

http://www.vegan.swinternet.co.uk/articles/health/fluoride.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 84 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
can't comment as regards the mind control theory, but on my first visit to a new dentist, he bet me that I'd been living in Nelson for about nine years - right on the money.
When I queried him, he said that we don't have flouridated water here(some parts of NZ do), and he could tell by the decay pattern in my teeth.
Freaky!

there was the UL that using flouridated water in aluminum cooking pots could be cancer forming, but, to be honest, I'm more scared of dentistry than chemo.

I'll be interested to hear what others think.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drew:
I'm not totally sure this hasn't been discussed here before. This is one that I’ve heard once or twice in long-winded drunken stories from conspiracy theorists and rationalists alike. One friend of mine is especially passionate about the subject. He believes that Fluoride is being added to water supplies under the guise of dental hygiene to inflict us with some sort of mind control so that the population will become more passive, and therefore easier to manipulate.

And to mess with our precious bodily fluids. [Big Grin]

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is quite simply wrong, if for no other reason governments and local authorities have been allowed to add chemicals to the public water supply without public consent (in most cases).

Also, I reckon if the governments really wanted to improve dental health, then they could do no better than discouraging children from eating sugary rubbish all day long.

Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had always heard that it was added here, in the US, during the cold war (I believe it was, my memory isn't all that great) and it was a communist plot to control the US population.

I don't really see any gains from controling the population, why couldn't the communists use the public officials they must have had just to get the evil flouride into the water.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candy-colored rossdawg

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some states do add it and some don't. Growing up in Jersey I always had to get Fluoride treatments once a year at the dentist as a child.
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I was born and raised in a part of West Texas that had naturally occurring fluoride. There was so much that most of the people in the area got brown stain on their teeth. There didn't seem to be any rise in cancer, osteoporosis, or any other diseases in the area. Many signs going into a few of these towns bragged to be "the town without a cavity."

The city I live in now in Texas has no fluoride occurring naturally and has only recently started adding fluoride to the water supply.

So it varies from city to city not just from state to state.

Bev

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The system of fluoridation and mind control endangers your health and your freedom]I like this site--it also gives a rationale for tinfoil hats--or at least tinfoil insoles.
quote:
At the end of World War Two, American intelligence agents captured German documents of fluoride experiments. These experiments showedthat fluoride damages an area in the left occipital lobe of the brain. This is said to make people more docile. Docility might just as well be a description of attention deficit disorder or Alzheimer's disease, both of which can be caused by excessive fluoride contamination. It is now known that very small amounts of fluoride like they put in the water and aluminum contribute to Alzheimer's disease. Numerous research reports have presented evidence that fluoride impairs the brain. The part about the left occipital lobe is more subtle. Impairment increases susceptibility to such things as mind control.
FLUORIDATION: Mind Control of the Masses
quote:
[from a staement by by Mr Harley Rivers Dickinson, Liberal Party Member of the Victorian Parliament for South Barwon.] "At the end of the Second World War, the United States Government sent Charles Eliot Perkins, a research worker in chemistry, biochemistry, physiology and pathology, to take charge of the vast Farben chemical plants in Germany.

"While there he was told by the German chemists of a scheme which had been worked out by them during the war and adopted by the German General Staff.

"This was to control the population in any given area through mass medication of drinking water. In this scheme, sodium fluoride occupied a prominent place.

"Repeated doses of infinitesimal amounts of fluoride will in time reduce an individual's power to resist domination by slowly poisoning and narcotising a certain area of the brain and will thus make him submissive to the will of those who wish to govern him.

"Both the Germans and the Russians added sodium fluoride to the drinking water of prisoners of war to make them stupid and docile."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick search on Google reveals the following:

1) The idea of fluoridation of water originated in the United States around 1930. It was first implemented in January 1945. Therefore, I do not think 'captured German documents' had anything to do with it.

2) There does appear to be controversy concerning the health effects of fluoride. It can be bad in large doses. Considering how much fluoride is available these days, maybe there shoud be some new studies done.

I just realized that I (a) drink fluoridated water, (b) use a fluoridated toothpaste, (c) get a fluoride treatment every six months from my dentist!

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
suerte_02

EDIT I couldn't believe Strangelove hadn't been mentioned - oops, now I see you had done so Jaime -
From epinions.com Summary of
Dr. Stangelove (1964)

Stanley Kubrick’s cold war black comedy written with Terry Southern (who also co-wrote “Easy Rider”). It has the feel of a drama (think “Fail-Safe”) that got subverted. It’s all about what happens when a General (Sterling Hayden) goes “a little funny in the head” and orders a nuclear attack on Russia. The reasons have to do with water fluoridation sapping our “precious bodily fluids ” as well as the lack of good psychological profiling. Peter Sellers is terrific in three roles: as a British base captain; a milquetoast President with a name that recalls things female (Merkin Muffley); and the titular, wheelchair-bound German scientist. George C. Scott is also very good as the gum chewing, belly-slapping Gen. Buck Turgidson (Scott really digs into the role, playing it for all it’s worth). The war room scenes look great: credit production designer Ken Adam (the art director for Jacques Tourneur’s classic “Curse of the Demon”). And Slim Pickens is a hoot bronco-riding the bomb to the strains of “We’ll Meet Again”.

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a litle bit of trivia. First fluoridation of a public water system happened in Grand Rapids, Michgian. They've been continously treating water there for 58 years with no apparent ill effects.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BCE

Icon 301 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
First fluoridation of a public water system happened in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They've been continously treating water there for 58 years with no apparent ill effects.
quote:
In the 1950's DeVos and VanAndel created the Amway marketing plan in Ada, outside Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Coincidence......or NOT?

BCE (precious bodily fluids and a 2% commission on all your recruits)

the Virgin Marrya

Icon 23 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
so....like, does this mean that the toothpaste currently lying in a mangled heap next to your toothbrush has no flouride in it either,or do you just object to docility being induced in other people???

edited bceause I can't spell and my spacebaronly works atrandom.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortunately, Quackwatch has an article that debunks the conspiracy theories regarding fluoridation of water and even mentions some of the tactics conspiracy theorists use to make it seem dangerous: Quackwatch article on fluoridation.

BTW, what does the left occipital lobe of the human brain really do? And what would be the effects of messing around with it?

- Pseudo "we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Witchfinder General

One source I read said that a toddler swallowing a pea sized lump o f toothpaste would be bad for it... not deadly but bad for it...

I think the exact same could be said about the large amounts of salt found in McDonald's "Happy Meals"

the Virgin Marrya

Icon 84 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
....or almost anything a toddler would be happy to eat

marry "you want fries wit' that?" ya

--------------------

Gale

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B Hamilton:
Well I was born and raised in a part of West Texas that had naturally occurring fluoride. There was so much that most of the people in the area got brown stain on their teeth. There didn't seem to be any rise in cancer, osteoporosis, or any other diseases in the area. Many signs going into a few of these towns bragged to be "the town without a cavity."
Bev

Yabbut everybody knows inhaling large quantities of red sand prevents the deadly flouride cancer. Snerk.

Of course, I drank that rank water growing up, too. While I escaped the curse of the brown teeth (unlike my mother), I had cavities out the wazoo.

Incidentally, it's not sugary rubbish as much as it is things that cling to your teeth that cause cavities. Crackers, carmels, popcorn over hard candies and Kool-Aid.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages