snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » NFL Cheerleaders Only Paid $50 Per Game?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NFL Cheerleaders Only Paid $50 Per Game?
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, all, please don't flame me for asking what is very likely a dumb question... just bear in mind I don't know JACK about professional sports.

That being said, one my of analysts is swearing up and down that NFL cheerleaders only get paid $50 per game.

Even being ignorant of sports (and boy am I), this struck me as absolutely ridiculous... completely absurd. Can anyone lend me a hand debunking this?

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend's daughter used to cheer for the Lakers, and I recall her pay was nominal. The real $$ comes from appearances elsewhere. But that was probably 20 years ago. I don't know what the pay scale is today.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like it's true.

Cheerleader wages

Cheerleading is a part time gig. So it's not suprising they don't make that much. There were rumors that one of my professors was a Sonic dancer.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They may be earning less than minimum wage. A former co-worker was also a cheerleader for the Titans, and she earned $25/game. She had to arrive by 8am for a noon kickoff, and was there until at least 5. Fortunately for her, they didn't travel with the team.

She had a good time, but said it wasn't worth it.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read in the Washington Post several years ago that the Redskinettes weren't paid at all, that it was entirely volunteer.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the different franchizes handle things differently. The Redskins Cheerleaders are more of a "Club" that also do charity events, visit the troops, etc. There is also a Redskins Band that does not get paid, although they get tickets.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm.... well, I'll be damned.

Thanks for the information, all.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 208 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If wonder if any of the Arizona Cardinal cheerleaders need a place to stay...

It would be for purely humanitarian reasons since they get paid so little, you understand. [Wink]

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
If wonder if any of the Arizona Cardinal cheerleaders need a place to stay...

It would be for purely humanitarian reasons since they get paid so little, you understand. [Wink]

Possibly, providing you're not in the house with them...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages