snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Female football player death

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Female football player death
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I wanted to know if you have ever heard of a female professional
football player being killed on the field by having her neck broken.

Some one in one of my college classes posted this in a message board
speaking about gender inequalities.

"He actually told me that quite a few years back now, there was one woman
who did make a professional football team and the men hated her so much
that they broke her neck and killed her in one tackle."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess is that there are probably rules against mixed teams in professional football, so any neck-breaking would have to have been done by other women.

Do many women play American football?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not being sure which football code was involved I did a few Google searches with a mixture of these keywords:

NFL
AFL
soccer
rugby
neck
broken
female
woman
professional

Nothing even remotely like it was discovered (of course, Google won't find everything). However, I also could not find anything from any type of football regarding professional matches being mixed gender.

Not to mention that such a deliberate tackle would most likely have lead to criminal charges...

Definitely sounding like UL to me, unless someone has evidence to the contrary.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Semi Pro Football

My guess it would be in the semi pro leagues. They do have a woman's division.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But are semi-pro teams mixed either? My only reference for this is the rules of the FA re soccer in the UK, which do not allow mixed games involving anyone over the age of about 12 I think...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen mixed pro or semipro, though I do believe UNLV briefly had a female kicker a few years back (Hnida, I think?). It seems to me as if it would be a bit dangerous, in spite of how tough the female in question is. After all, I don't care if you are the most badass female player on Earth, but when a 6-6, 315# tackle is bearing on you, it's still a question of mass.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Even when it comes to referees and referees' assistants in soccer, there used to be an argument that women should not be allowed to referee or line-judge men's games because they could not possibly understand the seriousness of a foul tackle as committed by a heavy Millwall player [Big Grin]

--------------------

Elegist
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegist   E-mail Elegist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The girl could have been in a high school team. There was a gal a town over a couple years ago in the football team. Boys die because of football accidents every now and then, and I don't see why it couldn't have happened to a girl (because "they hated her" or just an accident).

That being said, I haven't been able to find any info about it either.

--------------------
"And the Lord our Savior said unto them: "pass the salt!" and lo and behold the salt appeared for he is JESUS and he will kick you in the nuts" (Whatever II, 24-18)

--Rikku

Posts: 75 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elegist:
The girl could have been in a high school team. There was a gal a town over a couple years ago in the football team. Boys die because of football accidents every now and then, and I don't see why it couldn't have happened to a girl (because "they hated her" or just an accident).

That being said, I haven't been able to find any info about it either.

I would imagine a good medical examiner could tell the difference between an accident and a deliberate strike that kills.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, paddling on the waves:
I've never seen mixed pro or semipro, though I do believe UNLV briefly had a female kicker a few years back (Hnida, I think?). It seems to me as if it would be a bit dangerous, in spite of how tough the female in question is. After all, I don't care if you are the most badass female player on Earth, but when a 6-6, 315# tackle is bearing on you, it's still a question of mass.

Katie Hnida played for Colorado (briefly) and UNM.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elegist
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegist   E-mail Elegist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would imagine a good medical examiner could tell the difference between an accident and a deliberate strike that kills.
Oh, certainly. However, kids (sadly) sometimes die or get seriously injured playing even high school football, and since it has happened to boys, it could certainly happen to a girl, too. What I meant was the girl could have died (assuming there was one and she did) of an honest accident and the story was later "enhanced" by saying that the rest of the team "hated" her.

--------------------
"And the Lord our Savior said unto them: "pass the salt!" and lo and behold the salt appeared for he is JESUS and he will kick you in the nuts" (Whatever II, 24-18)

--Rikku

Posts: 75 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, paddling on the waves:

I've never heard of mixed football, the NHL had a female Goalie for a while. but when I was playing highschool football here in Alberta, We played in a tournament where the opposing Centre (I played Nose Tackle) was a 6-2 300+ pound very strong woman. i was 5-9 220 at the time. yes it comes down to a matter of mass, but not all women lose that battle of mass...
Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Oh, certainly. However, kids (sadly) sometimes die or get seriously injured playing even high school football, and since it has happened to boys, it could certainly happen to a girl, too. What I meant was the girl could have died (assuming there was one and she did) of an honest accident and the story was later "enhanced" by saying that the rest of the team "hated" her.
Which could be easilly refutes by a compent repoter askling the medical examiner about the nature of the death. If it was intentional, the coppos would be all over it...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elegist
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Which could be easilly refutes by a compent repoter askling the medical examiner about the nature of the death. If it was intentional, the coppos would be all over it...
Right. But since the story as per the OP says that the female footballer was in a "professional" football team, and no one has yet even been able to find a case of a woman in a prof. team (alive or dead), there is obviously a made-up quality to the story already.

What I was suggesting was that since (AFAIK) there haven't been any women on a prof. team (so obviously none died because of it), perhaps the "real" story was that a girl who was on a high school team died because her teammates "hated" her, since I do know that there have been mixed HS teams. I further suggested that it's not improbable that a girl on a football team could die without a sinister motive.

However, the OP mentiones that the story was heard on a message board discussion about "gender inequalities", and it is not quoting a news article. Thus, there's no way of knowing if the girl's death was a considered a homicide by a medical examiner, if indeed the event even happened, because there was no "competent reporter" to check the facts on the story as it is quoted.

Personally, I think that the story (as per the OP) is false, and probably was a strawman on the message board it showed up in. Searching "female football death" on google only discovers snopes and only one article (about a woman boxer) who died in a "male sport" related incident.

--------------------

--Rikku

diddy

quote:
quote:
Right. But since the story as per the OP says that the female footballer was in a "professional" football team, and no one has yet even been able to find a case of a woman in a prof. team (alive or dead), there is obviously a made-up quality to the story already.

What I was suggesting was that since (AFAIK) there haven't been any women on a prof. team (so obviously none died because of it), perhaps the "real" story was that a girl who was on a high school team died because her teammates "hated" her, since I do know that there have been mixed HS teams. I further suggested that it's not improbable that a girl on a football team could die without a sinister motive.

However, the OP mentiones that the story was heard on a message board discussion about "gender inequalities", and it is not quoting a news article. Thus, there's no way of knowing if the girl's death was a considered a homicide by a medical examiner, if indeed the event even happened, because there was no "competent reporter" to check the facts on the story as it is quoted.

Personally, I think that the story (as per the OP) is false, and probably was a strawman on the message board it showed up in. Searching "female football death" on google only discovers snopes and only one article (about a woman boxer) who died in a "male sport" related incident.

Agreed, The story is a load of hooey. I did go a bit too far though....

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Elegist
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Elegist   E-mail Elegist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Agreed, The story is a load of hooey. I did go a bit too far though....

No problem! This was my first actual "discussion" on snopes, btw. . . I feel so worldly! [Big Grin]

--------------------

--Rikku

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 201 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I doubt whoever posted the message the OPer spotted on a bulletin board was a "competent reporter," or any kind of reporter at all.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
I doubt whoever posted the message the OPer spotted on a bulletin board was a "competent reporter," or any kind of reporter at all.

- snopes

So do I....

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry if this is not relevant, but in the 1956 FA Cup Final in England Bert Trautmann (a goal-keeper) broke his neck and carried on playing! He survived, but he was a very lucky man.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elegist, slightly off topic, but you have the absolute best sig line I've ever seen.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages