snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » "I don't sign for white people"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "I don't sign for white people"
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/311sd2.htm

quote:
I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, "Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help."

Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said, "I don't sign for white people." If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words. Matt Williams and other Giants were in the room and they heard what Bonds said.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've actually heard that Barry doesn't sign for anyone (for free). So maybe this guy shouldn't feel bad.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tanta07
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanta07   E-mail tanta07   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/311sd2.htm

quote:
I walked up to Bonds at his locker in the Wrigley Field visitors' clubhouse, introduced myself and said, "Barry, if you sign these, they'll bring in a lot of money for kids who need help."

Bonds stood up, looked me in the eye and said, "I don't sign for white people." If lightning hits me today, I will swear those were his exact words. Matt Williams and other Giants were in the room and they heard what Bonds said.

While I certainly have no love for Barry Bonds, this perhaps could have just been his weird idea of a joke.

What I have gathered from various Bonds interviews over the years is that he is very sensitive on the issue of race. Despite the fact that he's grown up rich and in the public limelight, basically made a star by the time he was in little league, he still constantly bemoans how hard it is to be a black athlete. In that respect, this quote isn't THAT hard to believe. I still think that Barry Bonds isn't THAT big of a jerk, though.

Posts: 253 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't sign for white people either, so I don't see what the big deal is.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlankStare
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlankStare   E-mail BlankStare   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I have gathered from various Bonds interviews over the years is that he is very sensitive on the issue of race.
I guess that's why he was married to a white woman, huh?

--------------------
That was Merle Haggard with I Kissed My Sweetie With My Fist.

Posts: 27 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlankStare:
quote:
What I have gathered from various Bonds interviews over the years is that he is very sensitive on the issue of race.
Allow me to be the first to point out that being "sensitive about race" and being married to a person of another race are not necesarily mutually exclusive concepts.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlankStare:
quote:
Uh, care to explain your reasoning behind that statement? [Confused]

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like "he is very sensitive on the issue of race" is being taken as a euphemism for "he doesn't like white people."

I doubt that was tanta07's intent, but I'm sure he can confirm that.

--------------------

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Years and years ago, I wrote to Bonds with an SASE asking for an autograph. I cannot vouch for the authenticity, but I got a signed baseball card in return claiming to be from Bonds. There were no personal notes or anything else, but the ink looked real enough to me as did a comparison with what I could find of his signature elsewhere. Requests to other stars of the same team were returned with the same style card.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in about 1997, I think, my dad was in St. Louis on a business trip. He was sharing a hotel with the Giants who were in town to play the Cardinals. He went up to and got an autograph from Orel Hershiser. He then went up to Barry Bonds, asked him knowingly, if he was Barry Bonds. Of course, he denied he was Barry Bonds at all, and this was before he got to be the superstar he is today. I would have to doubt that he's giving autographs for free nowadays.

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

That would have had to be 1998. That was the only season Hershiser played for the Giants.

--------------------

Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
That would have had to be 1998. That was the only season Hershiser played for the Giants.

Thanks, couldn't remember for sure.

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tanta07
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanta07   E-mail tanta07   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
It sounds like "he is very sensitive on the issue of race" is being taken as a euphemism for "he doesn't like white people."

I doubt that was tanta07's intent, but I'm sure he can confirm that.

Yes, you are correct, Mr. Furious. I've never heard anything about Bonds that would suggest that he "hates white people."

However, in the world of Barry Bonds, nothing is ever his fault. He's always a victim of something. Racism would be the most obvious, and therefore, the most convenient card he could pull whenever he feels victimized (which is often).

And, like the others here, I have no idea what Blankstare's post is on about.

Posts: 253 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After thinking about it, I have to ammend my earlier statement. I sent letters to the Pirates outfield, consisting of Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla and Andy VanSlyke asking for autographs. This was in about 1987 or so. Only the latter two were returned. It was Bonilla's signature I was thinking of that matched and appeared to be real, not Bonds. Bonds and Gregg Jefferies stood out for not so much as returning the cards I sent for them to sign, much less offering an autograph. Bonilla and VanSlyke returned my cards, but sent wholly different autographed cards, that may or may not have been signed by them or by hand.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WGN News last night reported on this story and quoted Bonds as calling Kittle out (Something to the effect of "I'm here if he wants to get it on"). I guess that means Bonds denies it occured.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rorgg
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rorgg   E-mail Rorgg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You know, I don't think I heard Bonds deny it. He called Kittle an idiot. He basically challenged him to a fistfight, and he mentioned the mother of his kids was white.

Then again, Strom Thurmond had a child by a black woman, and we know where he was coming from on race relations.

So I've seen no denial from Bonds. Just a bunch of statements that you're supposed to put together to get there.

I hope to god Matt Williams comes out on this.

Posts: 45 | From: Schaumburg, IL | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Yeah, and he tried to call Kittle's integrity into question by bringing up the fact that he wasn't a star player. WTF?

quote:
"Who is Kittle? How long did he play? He played in our league?" Bonds said, lying on a clubhouse couch before Thursday's game against the Royals.
What an ass.

And if Matt Williams comes out and confirms it, that will also be a lie and therefore the whole thing will be a big conspiracy, because the whole world is out to get Bonds. Nothing is ever his fault, and he's a pure, unsullied victim of everything bad that's ever happened to him.

--------------------

Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mean to troll, but it seems weird to me how Bonds is given a free pass on this.

I mean, imagine in Mark McGwire had said "I don't sign for black people". He'd be crucified.

So, is racism always racism, or is it a one way street?

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Baggins:
I don't mean to troll, but it seems weird to me how Bonds is given a free pass on this. I mean, imagine in Mark McGwire had said "I don't sign for black people". He'd be crucified. So, is racism always racism, or is it a one way street?

I think the discussion so far is of the opinion that a racist asshole is a racist asshole. What's your point?

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there nobody who doesn't hate Barry Bonds, and didn't Barry Bonds bring it upon himself for being a prototypical dick?

Now, as to the veracity of the story, I do not know who owns Barry Bonds' signature. He may very well be contractually unable to sign any product that was not produced by an Bonds endorser.

Further, neither Bonds' spokesperson nor the Giants' spokesperson would confirm or deny the story, which makes me believe it may well not have happened quite that way (had the league caught wind of it, Bonds would assuredly have to attend some sensitivity training). IMO, of course.

[ETA: Interestinly, here's what Bonds himself has to say about it ]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Baggins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Baggins   E-mail Mr. Baggins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ParaDiddle:

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I apologize.

I didn't mean on this board. I meant the mainstream media. Unless I've somehow missed the media circus.

--------------------
"The system would also let you send your picture and contact details to a rough trade gay contact mailing list saying you like to be surprised with power tools in a non-consensual role play scenario – but that doesn’t mean you SHOULD do it.!"

Posts: 298 | From: Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The mainstream media is giving appropriate pomp and circustry (my word) to an unsubstatiated and possibly unsubstantiable comment. As was stated more eloquently by others, Bonds is pretty much a dick and that has been well documented. Mark McGwire, for all his other faults has manged his pubic image rather well. My question remains unanswered.
- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Happy Moscow
Helga Switzerland

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Happy Moscow   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
Mark McGwire, for all his other faults has manged his pubic image rather well.

I thought only dogs had that problem. [Eek!]

(sorry)

--------------------
My blog (and my husband's)
~
'One grows absurdly attached to a potto.' - Patrick O'Brian

Posts: 90 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shadowduck
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowduck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Happy Moscow:
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
Mark McGwire, for all his other faults has manged his pubic image rather well.

I thought only dogs had that problem. [Eek!]

(sorry)

No, foxes too...
I'll save you the bother: [fish]

--------------------
But of course, I could be wrong.

Posts: 858 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Further, neither Bonds' spokesperson nor the Giants' spokesperson would confirm or deny the story, which makes me believe it may well not have happened quite that way (had the league caught wind of it, Bonds would assuredly have to attend some sensitivity training). IMO, of course.

That fact that neither Bonds' nor the Giants' spokesperson has not confirmed nor denied this leads me to believe that it probably DID happen as described. If I were in that situation and the claims were false, I would vehemently deny it. But, I confess that I may be a tad biased since I am a lifelong White Sox fan and a fan of Ron Kittle.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But Barry Bonds is a lifelong a-hole. Cultivating that image requires a little diffferent management. [Wink]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I agree.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just have to chime in here. Being from the Burgh and all. Barry Bonds, as AnglRdr and Mr. Furious and others have pointed out, is an asshole and has been since day one. We hated him. It had nothing to do with race either way. Not from "us" (people from the Burgh), not from him. He's just a dick. He's arrogant and obnoxious and really rude to the media.

As much as I hate Barry Bonds, it has never occurred to me that he might be a racist and I'm convinced that what he said was either taken out of context, meant as a weird joke, or just the quickest way he could think of to insult the person who dared to ask for his autograph. I don't believe the man is really a racist.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages