snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Dale Earnhardt rumor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dale Earnhardt rumor
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 02 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard that while Dale Earnhardt was visiting in New York a
group of fire fighters tried to give him a one-of-a-kind New York license
plate signed by his late father as a gesture of empathy as they had lost
many of their own on 9/11 and had an idea what he was going through losing
his dad. They did not ask for autographs or anything in return. They
gave it to his crew who put it in the front of Dale Jr.'s car. The rumor
is that when he got in his car he grabbed the plate and said "What's this
sh*t?" and threw it out into the street as the fire fighters looked on.

If this is true I'd certainly lose a lot of respect for the young man. If
not I'd feel okay continuing to be somewhat of a fan.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a chance in hell, to put it mildly. Little E's as respectful as his old man was- that is, he's widely known in the racing community as one to give autographs easily and talk to fans- and I can't picture this.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, his dad must have changed a lot before he died. I grew up going to races and I remember him being one of the few drivers that never came out after the races. That is why he's one of the few I never got autographs from. Now I've not been to a race in 13 years or so, maybe when he got older he was more humble but that is not how I knew him to be.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... I made it to a few races at MIS, and he would sign autographs easily, as did little E. Maybe he mellowed with age.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he did. His driving sure did. *shrugs* He wasn't called the intimidater because he was polite. [lol]

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dale Jr may be one of the biggest jerks in NASCAR, but I don't see him doing that. If there is any truth to any part of it, I'm sure Jade will know. Maybe I can send him an email.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 95 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I heard that while Dale Earnhardt was visiting in New York a
group of fire fighters tried to give him a one-of-a-kind New York license
plate signed by his late father as a gesture of empathy as they had lost
many of their own on 9/11 and had an idea what he was going through losing
his dad. They did not ask for autographs or anything in return. They
gave it to his crew who put it in the front of Dale Jr.'s car. The rumor
is that when he got in his car he grabbed the plate and said "What's this
sh*t?" and threw it out into the street as the fire fighters looked on.

If this is true I'd certainly lose a lot of respect for the young man. If
not I'd feel okay continuing to be somewhat of a fan.

IMHO, the author of this letter seems to be saying that this occured just after Dale, Sr.'s death, which was 7 months before Sept. 11th.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages