snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » He Was Best When He Just Didn't Make Sense

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: He Was Best When He Just Didn't Make Sense
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-briefing14mar14,1,6930703.story

The popularity of longtime San Diego Padre announcer Jerry Coleman was validated recently when he was named this year's winner of the Ford C. Frick Award, which honors baseball broadcasters. He'll be presented with the award during Hall of Fame weekend this summer at Cooperstown, N.Y.

Coleman is so beloved by fans in part because of his verbal missteps. Here is a sampling:

• "There's a deep fly ball … Winfield goes back, back … his head hits the wall … it's rolling toward second base."

• "Johnny Grubb slides into second with a stand-up double."

• "Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen."

• "That big guy, Winfield, at 6 feet 6 inches, can do things only a small man can do."

• "Ozzie Smith just made another play that I've never seen anyone else make before, and I've seen him make it more often than anyone else ever has."

• "I've made a couple of mistakes I'd like to do over."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry Caray- "The pitcher had to take some cocaine before the game today."
Steve Stone- "That's novacaine Harry."

There's more, I'll hve to find them...

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few more Coleman-isms as quoted in David Nathan's Baseball Quotations:

• "After five full innings, we're still where we started the day, Padres 2, Phillies 2."
• "McCovey swings and misses, and it's fouled back."
• "The Phillies beat the Cubs today in the doubleheader. That puts another keg in the Cubs' coffin."
• "If you ask what the Achilles tendon of the team is, it would be pitching."

Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 201 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-only7apr07,1,5799308.column

quote:
In the current issue of San Diego magazine, Padres broadcaster Jerry Coleman, a Baseball Hall of Fame member, denied one malapropism attributed to him years ago.

Coleman supposedly said at the time that a pitcher was "throwing up in the bullpen," adding, "Of course, if you pitched like him [the player in the bullpen], you'd be throwing up too." In reality, Coleman told the magazine, "What I said was, 'He's out there throwing them up.'"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sports personalities aren't known for eloquence, so they make for some funny quotes:

"And here's Moses Kiptanui, the 19-year-old Kenyan, who turned 20 a few weeks ago."
-David Coleman

"Anytime Detroit scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points, they almost always win."
-Doug Collins

"That was a complicated play, folks. So let's have a replay for all of you scoring in bed."
-Bob Kelly

"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk

"We're going to turn this team around three hundred sixty degrees."
-Jason Kidd

"He's a goy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."
-Lou Duva

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages