snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Cub Fans Are Eating Up the Latest Pitch to End Team's Curse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cub Fans Are Eating Up the Latest Pitch to End Team's Curse
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The foul ball that unraveled the Cubs' chance for a World Series appearance and left fans steaming is now simmering in a red spaghetti sauce.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/cubfansareeatingupthelatestpitchtoendteamscurse

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK., Cubs fans, now you're just becoming sad and pitiful.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
OK., Cubs fans, now you're just becoming sad and pitiful.

Pogue

Agreed, I wonder how Bart Man is doing these days anyway? I still don't blame the guy for them losing that game btw.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't blame him for losing the game, but I have a special punishment for any fan of any team who gets to sit that close to the action and doesn't know any better than to interfere with a live ball in play. And a couple of harsh words for those sitting around him who didn't restrain him.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the interview with one of the owner-partners of Harry Cary's Restaurant. He said, in no uncertain terms, that the Bartman Ball has been VERY lucrative for the restaurant in terms of promotion and PR. First the viewing, then the blowing up, and now the Special Sauce.The actual profits are being given to charity.

Dog--Nice, but I cheer for the White Sox--water

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
I don't blame him for losing the game, but I have a special punishment for any fan of any team who gets to sit that close to the action and doesn't know any better than to interfere with a live ball in play. And a couple of harsh words for those sitting around him who didn't restrain him.

The poor guy got blamed, and then outed by the media (Steve Bartman, who lives at blahblahblah and works for blahblahblah, "interfered" with Moises Alou...). If you see the film, everyone around him is going for the ball. It was practically a scrum. This is a symptom of the fact that the average Cub fan (and/or true baseball fan) can't afford to get anywhere near Wrigley (especially during the extrememly rare Cubs playoff appearances). Only the rich and beautiful now can get seats, and all they care about is yakking on their cell phones and mugging for the camera.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Bee:
Only the rich and beautiful now can get seats, and all they care about is yakking on their cell phones and mugging for the camera.

But Bartman ceetainly wasn't among the rich and famous chatting on his cell phone. Wasn't he an ordinary working stiff?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Basketball Joan
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's so pathetic. Bartman can only be blamed (if you want to make that stretch) for the one play, where he, and several others around him for that matter, tried for that ball. The fact that the Cubs completely forgot how to play defense afterwards, however, is solely the teams fault.

If they want to lift the curse, it would help more to try to get rid of the loser mentality.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole deal about it makes me wonder about the mentality of my fellow Cub fans.

But then I realize, there's nothing stopping idiots from rooting for any team...

Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SparkStalker:
But then I realize, there's nothing stopping idiots from rooting for any team...

ipso facto Yankee fans....

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Red Sox, of course, being completely and utterly free from obnoxious, idiotic, and/or bandwagon fans.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
But Bartman ceetainly wasn't among the rich and famous chatting on his cell phone. Wasn't he an ordinary working stiff?

Pogue

My contention is not that Bartman necessarily, but certainly most of those around him at the very least, were among those elitist Wrigleygoers. I do remember Bartman's father saying Bartman felt terrible as he had been a lifelong fan. Again, if you watch the replay of the incident, he was not alone in going for the ball (not even close). As Gayle inferred, in the "old days" folks knew to let their team try to field a ball, and only "interfere" with the opposition. Certainly it wasn't even clear that Moises could have caught that ball, and then as mentioned, the Cubbies melted down afterward. The idea that persists in this town that some goat has cursed the Cubs is so tired, and the whole "blowing up" and now "distilling the essence" of "The Bartman Ball" to dispel any bad karma... Loyal Cubs fans have to insist that the lovable loser mentality go away, that a large market, highly profitable (and expensive to attend) team should repay their loyalty by presenting a better team instead of buying into this crap. Your initial post is pretty much on the mark.

edited to add some adjectives, nouns and verbs

Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought they blew up that Bartman ball last year?
And I thought it was a goat that cursed them, not Bartman.
Who believes in crazy curses anyway?!?!

C"The Curse of the Bambino is DEAD!!!"D

Yankees Suck!

Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought they blew up that Bartman ball last year?
From the article:
quote:
The Bartman ball was blown apart last February, reduced to a pile of shredded wool, twine, leather and rubber. But its destruction failed to bring about the much-hoped-for result — a World Series berth last year — which led tens of thousands of fans to e-mail or call DePorter.

They begged for one thing: Finish the job.

"We went through all the messages, and there were three common pleas," DePorter said.

Drown the remains in beer. Pierce them with a laser beam. Eat them.

DePorter decided to do all three — just in case.

Once all the leather and the rubber were removed, we were left with natural fibers," said Krista Wennerstrom, director of nutrition for Thorek Hospital and a "serious" Cub fan. The fibers were tossed into a big container of beer seasoned with rosemary, thyme, oregano and bay leaves.

"We boiled it, then it went through a distilling and purifying process," Wennerstrom said.

The result was nearly a gallon of a clear, pungent liquid — which was zapped with low-powered laser beams. Finally, it was blended with the restaurant's regular marinara recipe.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people foget this accored during game six. They still had game seven to play and could have won it then. As was mentiond earlier. It was not Barmen's fault that the cubs forgot how to play defence.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I meant" Bartman's". Where did I learn how to spell.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
Some people foget this accored during game six. They still had game seven to play and could have won it then. As was mentiond earlier. It was not Barmen's fault that the cubs forgot how to play defence.

It's the need for a scapegoat. Look at Bill Buckner. He blew the end of game six but he didn't allow the 2 run lead to be taken from us. He didn't throw a pitch past the catcher to allow the 3rd base runner to steal home, and he didn't single-handedly lose game 7. But he will be forever known as the one guy who blew the '86 W.S.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages