snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Death on the field (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Death on the field
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know, it's a morbid curiosity, but I've always been fascinated by sports figures who pass before their time. I'm doubly into the stories of deaths of people on the playing field, or gridiron, or whatever your sport of choice calls it. A couple of 'em, off the top of my head:

Ray Chapman - Baseball player for the Cleveland Indians, killed by a pitched ball in 1920 by underhanded (!) power pitcher (!!) Carl Mays.

Supposedly a very early baseball player ruptured a muscle and died from the strain of swinging at a pitch (sounds kind of ULish to me, but hey! That's what these forums are for!)

Benny "The Kid" Paret - Killed by Emile Griffith in a late 1940s boxing match.

Curtis Williams - University of Washington football player paralyzed by a 2000 hit and died from his injuries 4 years later.

Sam Patch - Disappeared after jumping 100 feet off Niagara Falls, a trick he'd pulled successfully a week earlier. The first "extreme" sports guy, I guess; his body washed up 4 years later, in 1829.

Many American footballers died around the turn of the century because of a play called the "flying wedge", where you basically lined up 30 yards away from your opponent and slammed into him at full speed. Oh yeah, and the only way to get guys to break formation sometimes and get to the ballcarrier was to leap up in the air over the guys running at you. Not surprisingly, this play resulted in a lot of head and neck injuries. More surprisingly, the play was developed at Harvard.

I know there are more than this...

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not what you're looking for, but the only thing that leaps to my mind is the umpire who had a heart attack and died during a Reds game a few year back.

Oh, and of course Dale Earnhart died on the track. Come to that, I'm certain there are many race car drivers who have died while racing.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was Eric Gregg, right? That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Marc Vivien Foe died during a match, a year ago last summer... [Frown]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3024360.stm

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John McSherry was the name of the umpire. Here's some more info:

Opening-day tragedy leaves umpire dead

And the story that makes this stick out in my mind:
Insensitivity defined reign over Reds - and ended it
quote:
Two years later, when home plate umpire John McSherry dropped dead of a heart attack seven pitches into the Reds' season opener, Schott was hesitant to call the game, saying, "I feel cheated. This isn't supposed to happen to us, not in Cincinnati.'' She sent flowers to the umpires' dressing room - flowers she had received that day from someone else.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On November 13, 1982 Korean boxer Duk Koo Kim collapsed minutes after being defeated by Ray Mancini. Kim never regained consciousness and died in surgery.

- ParaDiddle

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PsychoWoman
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PsychoWoman   E-mail PsychoWoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if you want to classify him as a sports figure, but Owen Hart died in the wrestling ring.
Posts: 201 | From: Tampa Bay area, Florida | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
During the 1905-1910 period football got so bad (33 people died from injuries substained on field in 1908 alone) that President Theodore Roosevelt was forced to threaten football with a total ban unless new rules and regulations were put into place to improve safety.

Even today with safety regulations and equipment football kills more high school students in America then school shooting do. 15 deaths in 2002, 23 in 2001, 12 in 2000, and 17 in 1999.

I'll repeat that, because it bears repeating. Your child is more likely to be killed playing football while on school property then by being shot while on school property.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
Oh, and of course Dale Earnhart died on the track. Come to that, I'm certain there are many race car drivers who have died while racing.

Ayrton Senna is an obvious example. (And Roland Ratzenberger died during qualifying laps the day before at the same corner but not during the actual race.)
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
Benny "The Kid" Paret - Killed by Emile Griffith in a late 1940s boxing match.

Correction on the date: the bout took place in 1962.
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom Simpson collapsed and died on Mont Ventoux in the Tour de France of 1967.

Fabio Casartelli crashed and died (quite horrifically) on the descent of Col de Portet d'Aspet in the Tour de France of 1995.

Francesco Cepada crashed and died after falling down a ravine on the Col du Galibier during the Tour de France of 1935.

Here is a list of international pro-cyclist deaths during races (at least 28).

ETA: the Brazilian footballer Serginho collapsed and died on the field in October this year.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many cricketers have died whilst playing the game. A few examples are:

Prince Frederick, son of George II, died in 1751 after he was hit on the chest by a cricket ball. an internal abscess burst and suffocated him.

Charles Grace, the son of England's most famous cricketer, W. G. Grace, died whilst playing.

Many cricketers have died when hit on the head or chest by a ball, but now with the introduction of helmets the death rate has descreased dramatically.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we include Ruffian?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They had a nice explanation of why being struck by a ball in the chest can cause death on a rerun CSI recently.

The story in the episode was that two guys got into a fight, and one punched the other in the chest, causing the heart's rhythm to get screwed up, thereby causing cardiac arrest.

They kept referring to it as a "fastball in the chest," IIRC.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember this one from last year.
He wasn't a very well-known player, but he did die before his time.
I am a Cubs fan and this happened right before a game between the two. If they weren't playing the Cubs, I might not remember, but I thought I'd throw it in.

ETA: There is a list of other deaths of athletes on the bottom of the linked page, there's about four more, so check that out too if you want.

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Jan. 13, 1968, Minnesota North Star center Bill Masterson struck his head on the ice during a game against the Oakland Seals. He died forty-eight hours later.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple years ago, Reggie Brown of the Detroit Lions stopped breathing after a nasty hit and had to be revived on the field. It was also the game that Barry Sanders reached the 2000 yards in a single season mark vs. the Jets. Its a near death.

Just recently I read about a South American boxer (Brazil?) dying from injuries in the ring. It actually happens (unfortunately) quite often, but more-so on a lower-level of boxing (as in, not names most people would recognize).

Auto Racing has claimed a ton. Just off the top of my head: Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, Neil Bonnet.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sureshot
Poultrygeist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sureshot   Author's Homepage   E-mail sureshot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From this page: http://www.clarionledger.com/news/sports/football2002/um/um_trivia.html

1991 — Ole Miss football player Roy Lee "Chucky" Mullins, who had been paralyzed from the neck down after a collision in a 1989 game against Vanderbilt, died May 6 in a Memphis hospital.

Other NASCAR drivers who have died in racing accidents: Fireball Roberts, Tiny Lund, J.D. McDuffie, Kenny Irwin Jr.
There are more but just the ones I could think of off hand.
-------------------------------------------

sureshot

--------------------
I said your name. I wore it like a badge of teenage film stars, hash bars, cherry mash and tin foil tiaras. Dreaming of Maria Callas, whoever she is.

Posts: 52 | From: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it comes with the territory in extreme sports, such as big wave surfer Mark Foo.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Few years ago Miinnesota Viking player Kori Stringer, succumbeed to a heat stroke/heat exhaustion during pre-season training.

I cant find an article about it though. I will keep looking though..

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
Few years ago Miinnesota Viking player Kori Stringer, succumbeed to a heat stroke/heat exhaustion during pre-season training.

I cant find an article about it though. I will keep looking though..

You just mis-remembered his name. Korey Stringer
Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CD:
A couple years ago, Reggie Brown of the Detroit Lions stopped breathing after a nasty hit and had to be revived on the field. It was also the game that Barry Sanders reached the 2000 yards in a single season mark vs. the Jets. Its a near death.

As far as near deaths, Clint Malarchuk of the Buffalo Sabres nearly died when Uwe Krupp's skate cut his jugular on the ice. (Warning: Graphic pix)

Hank Gathers, of the Loyola Marymount basketball team, died on the court of a heart condition.

Rashidi Wheeler, a Safety from Northwestern, died of heat stroke only a short time after Korey Stringer.

If we expand the topic beyond on-field deaths, keeping it to players in their prime:
Dan Snyder of the Alanta Thrashers died in a horrific drunk driving accident in 2003.

Two members of the Oklahoma State basketball team died in a plane crash, supposedly from insufficient de-icing. (Incidentally, they flew out from the airport which is a few miles from my house.)

Patrick Dennehy of the Baylor basketball team was murdered, allegedly by his teammate.

Derrick Thomas of the Kansas City Chiefs died as the result of a car wreck as well.

I can't remember the name, but supposedly the sky surfer who starred in a bunch of Mountain Dew commercials several years ago died in a parachute malfunction.

And of course, Pat Tillman. RIP all.

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If we expand it to dying in their sporting prime, there's most of the Manchester United team who died in the Munich air crash in 1958. Details.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does Reggie Lewis count?
quote:
In Game 1 of the series Reggie Lewis collapsed on the court. He was later diagnosed with arrhythmia (an irregular heartbeat), a condition that brought tragic results in the offseason. On July 27, 1993, while shooting baskets at Brandeis University in Boston, the 27-year-old Lewis collapsed again. He was found by paramedics in complete cardiac arrest and died shortly thereafter.
Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by mosherette:
If we expand it to dying in their sporting prime, there's most of the Manchester United team who died in the Munich air crash in 1958. Details.

And, for that matter, the 1972 Israeli Olympic Team.
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also Marshall University, located in Huntington WV lost most of their football team and coaching staff to a plane crash on November 14th, 1970.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nearly all of the 1961 U.S. Figure Skating Team (skaters, coaches, and several family members) were killed in a plane crash on the way to that year's Worlds.

Sergei Grinkov, Olympic Gold Medal pairs skater from USSR/Russia, died from an undiagnosed heart problem while rehearsing with his wife Katya Gordeeva.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there was the bus accident of the Swift Current Broncos Western Hockey League team.
Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sureshot
Poultrygeist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sureshot   Author's Homepage   E-mail sureshot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're extending this to off the playing field deaths, there was the somewhat bizarre death of golfer Payne Stewart.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/golf/pga/news/1999/10/25/stewart_plane_ap/

sureshot

--------------------
I said your name. I wore it like a badge of teenage film stars, hash bars, cherry mash and tin foil tiaras. Dreaming of Maria Callas, whoever she is.

Posts: 52 | From: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Len Bias died while celebrating being drafted by the Celtics.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Loyola Marymount basketball star Hank Gathers collapsed during a game and died two hours later.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Winston Cup drivers Davey Allison & Alan Kulwicki died off the track in helicoptor / plane accidents (respectively), three months apart.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Soviet Diver Sergei Chalibashvili who died after attempting the "Dive of Death" - a reverse 3-1/2 somersault in the tuck position- at a meet in 1983.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Number three on ESPNs most shocking NFL moments:

"Detroit Lions receiver Chuck Hughes dies of heart attack during game (Oct. 24, 1971)
The Lions trailed the Bears 28-23 late in the fourth quarter, and had the ball. With the Lions running a two-minute drill, wide receiver Chuck Hughes came into the game, and went deep over the middle on a play that ended with an incomplete pass intended for another receiver. As he headed back to the huddle, he collapsed. Bears middle linebacker Dick Butkus got to him first and alerted the Lions bench. Team doctor Richard Thompson came onto the field and tried to resuscitate Hughes, unsuccessfully. The game was finished in silence."

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CD:
Len Bias died while celebrating being drafted by the Celtics.

And by celebrating you mean smoking crack cocaine!
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages