snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Detroit Lions Fans Rooting for Wrong Team??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Detroit Lions Fans Rooting for Wrong Team??
bathtubscanfly
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently a few years ago, during a game against the Green Bay Packers, the Lions were down by something like thirty points. Near the end of the game, the remaining fans started rooting for the Red Wings, Detroit's hockey team, even though they were at a fotball game. My friend was telling me this the other day, and I didn't quite believe it. Is there any truth to it, or is it a sports urban legend?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Velvet Undergound & GameSix

Icon 221 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Likely explanation to all of this: The fans in attendance lost interest in the football game as it went on. To prevent a flood of angry fans exiting the gates, the Jumbotron operators at the Silverdome switched on a Red Wings game, so the fans would linger around and do what stadium management expects them to do: Buy more six-dollar beers and four-dollar chili dogs.
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember this, as my local news covered it. Detroit's just a hop/skip/jump up I75, the Lions suck, and the Wings are popular. Doesn't surprise me a bit. [Smile]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bathtubscanfly

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks [Smile] It makes sense, since the Lions blow big time (although my Chargers give 'em a run for their money [Big Grin] ). It just seemed....well, odd.
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing constructive to add, just that all the football fans I knew in michigan rooted for two teams in particular. The lions, for the sole reason of it being the hometown team, and the packers.

Of course this could have been during the wings stanley cup years, then I wouldn't be surprised if a wings cheer came up while the lions were winning.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elbe, a good source of potassium:
Nothing constructive to add, just that all the football fans I knew in michigan rooted for two teams in particular. The lions, for the sole reason of it being the hometown team, and the packers.

Of course this could have been during the wings stanley cup years, then I wouldn't be surprised if a wings cheer came up while the lions were winning.

I don't know many Packers fans in Michigan, but there are quite a few Bears fans.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Tis a true story, covered by the Detroit Free Press:
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings/wings10_20011010.htm

quote:

Detroit Free Press (MI)
WINGS CARRY CITY'S HOPES LIONS, TIGERS, PISTONS? OH, MY!

Published on October 10, 2001. 755 words
Article 3 of 7 found.

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Some Red Wings heard it themselves Monday night. The rest? They definitely heard about it in the dressing room Tuesday, while they prepared for tonight's home opener against Calgary.

As the Lions stumbled to a 35-0 loss to St. Louis and an 0-3 record, the desperate fans started chanting, "Let's go, Red Wings!" Not only that, "Monday Night Football" funnyman Dennis Miller cracked that the fans wanted Wings great Alex Delvecchio at quarterback....

I'm so glad I figured out the Freep's archive feature, I won't even respond snarkily to the person who said this must have happened when the Wings WERE in their Cup-winning years! They've got at least one more good chance....

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 01 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember hearing about this when it happened. I thought it was hilarious when they did that.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 221 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by detroitminstrel:
I won't even respond snarkily to the person who said this must have happened when the Wings WERE in their Cup-winning years! They've got at least one more good chance....

The wings are always in their cup winning years. [Smile] Now and then, they're in a slump. But, overall...

I'm glad you found the article. I remembered it happening, but couldn't place the how or why of it, much less the timeframe.

tag

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rainbowmonk

Icon 208 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
quote:
Originally posted by Elbe, a good source of potassium:

I don't know many Packers fans in Michigan, but there are quite a few Bears fans.
I'm one! Quite a few Bears fans? Not in my part of Michigan, but there are quite a few of us Packer fans.
tanta07
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for tanta07   E-mail tanta07   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something similar happened here in Colorado. I was attending a Rockies game, but the Avalanche were playing in the Stanley Cup finals at the same time.

Needless to say, many of the fans in attendence were wearing headphones to listen to the radio broadcast, as well as carrying little handheld TV's to watch the Avs.

The weird thing was - every time the Avs would score, the baseball park would erupt in applause, and the players on the field would get a little perplexed, even glancing around to see what the fuss was about. LOL

The Rockies even started showing the current score of the Avs game, as well as video highlights, on their big screen during breaks in play of the Rockies game. It was definitely odd - I would say the cheers for the Avs were twice as loud as those for the Rockies. LOL

Posts: 253 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been a Lions fan since birth, and I can assure you there have been numerous times when I wondered if I was rooting for the wrong team.

Don "Go Lions ... and take the Tigers with you" Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages