snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Diddy Runs the City ... or Did He?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diddy Runs the City ... or Did He?
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I ran the New York City Marathon yesterday; as many of you probably heard, so did rapper Sean "P. Diddy" Combs.

Now, anyone who's ever raced competitive distance knows the difference between "clock time" and "chip time". The former starts with the starting gun, the latter when you cross the starting line (and the chip in your shoe registers your start). In some races, especially an event as large as the NY Marathon, that difference can be a number of minutes.

Here's where it gets strange. When I checked the results last night, P. Diddy's clock time was listed as 4:14, but his chip time was 3:58. That seemed like a pretty large discrepancy, especially since I knew people with much smaller differentials who said they passed him (which would be impossible if he had started behind them).

Today, however, I checked the results, and they had changed. His clock time still reads 4:14:54, but his chip time reads 4:14:52, which would be consistent with what I've heard about him starting near the front.

That the numbers have changed since last night is indisputable; I saw both versions myself. But here's where the UL angle comes in: The person who told me about the change said that it was some sort of scam on P. Diddy's part. She said something about how he had a $1M bet (for charity) with Oprah that he could beat 4 hours, and he was trying to cheat to win the bet.

I didn't think that made any sense (I had heard that he was trying to beat her marathon time of 4:30, but not that they had any sort of bet), and I don't see how he could have enough sway with the New York Road Runners Club to get them to post incorrect results. But it also seems like a strange coincidence they could make that type of mistake with such a high-profile runner.

Anyone heard anything about this story?

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 501 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats and a hardy "good on yer" for running the marathon, Don.

Haven't heard anything yet about Diddy cheating on the marathon - however, nothing that loud-mouth, publicity-hungry huckster does would surprise me at this point. It would be just his style to cheat on the marathon, just as he's stolen music in the past.

Anyone who would start with the name Puff Daddy and then think that P Diddy is somehow an improvement has to have a LMC.

Ali "Low Marble Count" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliBaBatMasterson:
Haven't heard anything yet about Diddy cheating on the marathon - however, nothing that loud-mouth, publicity-hungry huckster does would surprise me at this point. It would be just his style to cheat on the marathon, just as he's stolen music in the past.

Can't believe I'm about to do this, but I have to rise to PD's defense.

For one thing, cheating allegations aside, the guy ran a legit marathon. He didn't run a "symbolic" section of it, or duck into the subway. He ran the whole 26.2 miles (faster than me, I might add). Second, he used the occasion to raise more than $2M for charity. Finally, he brought a lot of attention to the race, especially from people who might not have otherwise followed it. As my running partner pointed out, anything that increases the crowds cheering on the runners is good for all of us.

I only hope he takes all the publicity he's generated from this to fight childhood obesity. Not that he should encourage his fans to run marathons, but rather just to stay active.

OK, that's my defense of P. Diddy. Now I'm off to stick my head in the oven.

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages