snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Pedro-Zim Smackdown (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pedro-Zim Smackdown
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember being charged once by a guy who was a lot smaller than me, and I did the exact same thing as Pedro -- pushed him away and threw him down on the ground. It was a split-second decision, and all I was thinking about was getting him out of my face and subduing him. OK, he wasn't 40 years older than me (we were both teenagers), but the situation was similar. I was mostly just surprised he would come at me, since it was pretty clear he couldn't really do any damage.

So yeah, I agree that in hindsight, Pedro could have handled it better, and it would probably be smart of him to apologize at this point, but I think his response was reasonable.

And as I said in my OP, I'm only defending Pedro's behavior with respect to Zimmer. The rest of his antics, especially pointing at his head, were inexcusable.

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could anyone read Pedro's lips as he gestured? Everyone seems to be assuming that he was threatening to bean the next batter, or something. Could he not have been saying, "Use your head!" and/or "What were you thinking?!"

I have never been able to read Pedro's lips, to the point that I can't even tell if he's speaking Spanish or English. Roger's "NFBSK you!" was easy to read, though, as was a lot of the venom spewing from the Gerbil's mouth in the dugout.

ETA: I have heard this morning that Pedro says he told the batter, while gesturing at his own head, "I'm going to remember you. Don't think I won't remember you," and that the gestures were to emphasize Pedro's remembering, not to illustrate any kind of threat, and that folks who could actually hear what he said corroborate this.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lolalola
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pouge, do you think if Pedro apologizes at this point its gonna be any better then Zim's apology. [Roll Eyes]

No I don't think I was saying that because you are 72 year old man with bad knees you should act like a jerk. What Zim did was stupid, but as I was saying Pedro a 31 year old man with quick reflexes and in who is in perfect physical shape shouldn't have had the reaction that he did towards 72 year old man who most likely couldn't have done a lot of damage to him. This is wrong, but I wouldn't have been as disturbed if Pedro had that reaction towards a younger player. If I were Pedro and I saw Zim coming at me I would have started to laugh and I would have moved out of the way, that would really would have shown Zim. But thats me I guess I'm in minority here.

Geeze, had the tables been turned and had it been Grady Little that charged Roger Clemons and Clemons "pulled a Pedro" on Little, everyone would be calling for Roger's head on a platter. [Roll Eyes]

And yes Pouge I will cut you some slack cause your team is a team that seems to have a great season what......once every 15 years [Big Grin] [Wink]

Wait till tomorrow night....is all I'm going to say.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four *Hissing* Kitties:
ETA: I have heard this morning that Pedro says he told the batter, while gesturing at his own head, "I'm going to remember you. Don't think I won't remember you," and that the gestures were to emphasize Pedro's remembering, not to illustrate any kind of threat, and that folks who could actually hear what he said corroborate this.

I'd like to hear what Jorge Posada has to say about that. He was the guy Pedro seemed to be jawing with the most in the dugout. It certainly seems like a plausible explanation to me. I mean, I can't stand Pedro, but I was floored when it appeared that he was pointing at his head and telling people he was going to drill them.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lolalola:
And yes Pouge I will cut you some slack cause your team is a team that seems to have a great season what......once every 15 years

Hey, when you're paying Mo Vaughn $17,166,667 not to play, what do you expect?

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lolalola

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Count Furious:
quote:
And yes Pouge I will cut you some slack cause your team is a team that seems to have a great season what......once every 15 years

Hey, when you're paying Mo Vaughn $17,166,667 not to play, what do you expect?
[lol]

I suppose I was looking at the whole Zim incident like how I would handle it.

Aureal
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Aureal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No I don't think I was saying that because you are 72 year old man with bad knees you should act like a jerk. What Zim did was stupid, but as I was saying Pedro a 31 year old man with quick reflexes and in who is in perfect physical shape shouldn't have had the reaction that he did towards 72 year old man who most likely couldn't have done a lot of damage to him.

A lot? It doesn't take a lot of damage to a baseball player to make him unable to play, especially a pitcher. Saying that you shouldn't defend yourself just because your assailant is old and probably wouldn't have done a lot of damage just sounds absurd to me.

If we're going to whine about how horribly weak an old guy is and everyone should know better than to do anything that might possibly hurt him, shouldn't we include the old guy in that as well? Zimmer- better than anyone else, including Pedro- knows that he's 72, with bad knees and a metal plate. So why was he out there taking a swing at an athlete in top physical condition? It's not Pedro's responsibility to keep a guy that's attacking him from being hurt, regardless of how old the guy is. It sounds like he did a decent job of it anyway.

Posts: 698 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lolalola

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not speaking of this any longer.
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four *Hissing* Kitties:

Four Kitties

I don't know. I'm not sure Pedro has too much credibility here. My first thought was that he was saying, "I'll hit you right here." That's what the announcers thought as well.

Then again, I could have sworn the first time I listened to the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever" that I distinctly heard, "I buried Paul."

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kokopelli

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm disappointed. I thought this thread was about a different Zim.

Though I suppose "Obey the fist!" works here as well.

Lolalola

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Is all I have to say today!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages