snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Is Jeff Gordon gay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Jeff Gordon gay?
You're the DoubleD in Disguise
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From today's rotten comes a link to this article about Jeff and Brooke Gordon's divorce.

quote:
A lot of professional athletes have gone through divorces, but this is especially difficult on Gordon. He has to deal with the emotional pain from a breakup, but that's not all. Brooke has charged him with "marital misconduct," and the fact that she intends to sue his DuPont uniform off his back should be Clue No. 1 that this isn't about him forgetting her birthday.

Whatever the secret, it won't be good for the squeaky clean Christian image he has maintained for the past decade. No one is more image conscious than Gordon. He doesn't forget to plug a sponsor, so this has to be eating him up.

No male professional athlete of this stature has yet to reveal that he is gay, and the first guy who does is going to get taste of what it was like to be Jackie Robinson. Whether it's true or not, it has to be a burden for Gordon.Gordon wants his professional life kept separate from his private life. That's what he told the media at Darlington. It appears that Gordon hasn't been able to do it, not the way his season is going.

Then this:
quote:
My eyes focused on the headline across the Globe tabloid during a trip to the supermarket last week. NASCAR's Jeff Gordon: Dirty secret behind divorce. Inside, the headline splashed across the story read, "NASCAR Hero Battered By Gay Scandal."

I have no idea whether Jeff Gordon is gay. What is a fact, though, is that the accusations are out there, and Gordon has had to deal with them long before this divorce became public. Call the Globe tabloid trash, but people read it, and they talk about it.

They have long talked about Gordon's sexuality. Spectators have shown up at some of the races I've covered wearing T-shirts with "Fans Against Gordon" written across the front, the first three letters highlighted to make a derogatory acronym. Other drivers don't have to put up with that garbage.

According to a story in Sports Illustrated, Gordon was asked by the late Dale Earnhardt, "Are you gay?" because Gordon went solo to the 1993 season-ending awards banquet.

I can't tell you the number of people who have asked me in the last three weeks if I think Gordon is gay. Why is that? Would that question be posed if Mark Martin or Ricky Rudd split with their wives? Anyone suggest such a thing when Michael Jordan and his wife separated?

Am I missing something here? When I heard that Brooke Gordon was accusing Jeff of "marital misconduct," I assumed that meant he was messing around with NASCAR groupies or something. Why the rumors of homosexuality? Is there some evidence I don't know about?

Jeff Gordon has a lot of fans - but he also has a good many detractors (some of whom post on this board). Does the "gay" accusation have a factual basis, or is it just anti-Gordon resentment? I have believed that he is disliked by many NASCAR fans because he isn't "rednecky" enough - he doesn't wear a mustache, he doesn't have a good-ol'-boy name like Ricky or Dale, he isn't from the South; he looks more like a pro golfer than a pro race car driver. Is that accurate, or am I way off base? Could this be why he's rumored to be gay?

I'd like to hear from some of the NASCAR fans on the board and see what you have to offer on this subject.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a Gordon fan, but I think that his private affairs should be kept private. I wouldn't call him gay, I just don't like the way he will bump and run, but whine when someone bumps him. He's not the only driver to do this, there is just something about him I don't like.

As for the Globe, it's trash. When Jeff shows up on Rosie "outing" himself, then I will believe it.

As for the divorce, what is news about someone getting a divorce? We all go through it or know someone who is going through it. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Kim "not a fan, but not a basher, either"

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all, I am not a Gordon fan. I think NASCAR lets him get away with a lot of crap sometimes and that he whines too much when things aren't going good for him.

That said, these rumors have been around for a while. There is one persistent ULish story about him getting caught in the act with one of his pit crew guys. So far, I haven't seen any real evidence to support that. I think the rumors keep going because NASCAR still has a lot of redneck fans who consider calling someone gay the ultimate insult, and that Jeff's relationship with his wife sometimes seemed overly cheesy. The two of them were the kind of couple who make everyone around them sick because they always look so mushy and in love.

Just my hypothesis. I don't care if he's gay or not. I just don't like him because he is a jerk on the track.
[Thwack]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gordan causing controversy again, whether it's bumping into Jarrett on Pit lane thus costing him a top 10 finish or a messy divorce.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's much more likely that the current Mrs. Jordan (and former Miss Winston Cup) caught him with the current Miss Winston Cup. Gay? I think those rumors started because he's not the traditional "good ole boy" NASCAR driver.
All in all, who cares? We are talking about grown adults playing with oversized Matchbox cars.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pit Road is getting to be a pretty dangerous place. I think anyone who causes contact on Pit Road should be fined heavily.
Helmets or no helmets, more people are going to be hurt if it continues along this line.
Kim "Pretty soon the crew will be in body armour"

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some notes from someone who doesn't really care for NASCAR.

I've always attributed the Gordon-is-gay rumors to two related elements. First, he is not enough of a redneck. He cares about his appearance and his image, which translates into a knee-jerk "fag" reaction when you're dealing with many old-school NASCAR fans. Plus, he's a handsome guy, knows it, and cultivates that image. If you look at the two biggest racing legends in my lifetime - Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt - you'll see that, frankly, neither of them are Tyson Beckford. They built their legend on their driving styles and ability to win, win, win, without giving a damn whether they looked like Andrew Shue or The Cryptkeeper. Gordon, whether or not you think that he cheats, et al, wins a lot and cultivates a "pretty boy" image, which seems to irk the crap out of people.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All in all, who cares? We are talking about grown adults playing with oversized Matchbox cars.
That's sort of like saying getting married and raising kids is grown adults playing house...

I rather doubt Jeff Gordon is gay, any more than I call the Globe a credible news source.

When I read the story of Jeff Gordon's divorce on NASCAR.com two weeks ago, I thought about the possibility of raising it as a topic on the board. My personal feelings about him as a driver not-withstanding, he asked to keep the matter private and I will respect those wishes as I would anyone who is going through a difficult personal issue.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Why is it that people who don't like NASCAR always call it a redneck sport or pass-time?
I like NASCAR. I don't live in a trailer. I don't have junkers in my front yard. I still have all my teeth. I have a full time job and am fairly literate. Yet, I like NASCAR, therefore, I am a redneck.
The sport is more than just 4 dozen drivers on a circle track making left hand turns. They are all very talented (Jeff included). I know someone who did the "driving experience". He drove a NASCAR, though his speed was limited to 110 (IIRC). He said it was awesome. The speed, the power of the car, the knowledge that one small mistake could be critical, all of the experience surely increased his respect of the NASCAR community.

If NASCAR=redneck, then wan2b= redneck.
Kim

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wan2b your teddybear:
Why is it that people who don't like NASCAR always call it a redneck sport or pass-time?

If that was directed at my post, please note that I said that the "redneck" attitude was prevalent among the old-school NASCAR fans:

quote:
Originally posted by me:
First, he is not enough of a redneck. He cares about his appearance and his image, which translates into a knee-jerk "fag" reaction when you're dealing with many old-school NASCAR fans.

I never referred to NASCAR itself as a redneck pastime. I'm fully aware that as it has grown in popularity, it has attracted many fans from outside the core group it attracted, say, 20 years ago. I can see misinterpreting the first sentence if you don't take the one that follows into account.

While I don't enjoy watching NASCAR events, I have quite a bit of respect for the people who participate in them.

--------------------

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 08 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
:::wan2b knocks chip off her shoulder:::
Didn't mean to jump on you, but I guess that protecting NASCAR is my munchkin.
We can kiss and makeup now.
Kim

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psihala:
[QBThat's sort of like saying getting married and raising kids is grown adults playing house...

~Psihala[/QB]

You could certainly make that arguement for Mr. Duck & me at the moment. [Big Grin] Seriously, it was a flippant remark. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
However, my point was that Gordan's private life should not be as big a deal as it is to some people.
Trust me, I'm fully aware of how much talent it requires to control stock cars and then race them well. I have a tough enough time sometimes with my very boring regular car.
~No hard feelings? [Smile] ~

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DiscoSox

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although not all Nascar fans are rednecks...
quote:
Spectators have shown up at some of the races I've covered wearing T-shirts with "Fans Against Gordon" written across the front, the first three letters highlighted to make a derogatory acronym.
... does not exactly help to shake the image of Nascar as a redneck sport.

Disco "Who knew drinking in a parking lot for three days had so many complexities?" Sox

Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Duck:
~No hard feelings? [Smile] ~

It appears I misunderstood. And I don't hold grudges.

~Psihala
(*There's two chips on the floor if anyone wants kindling...)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We can kiss and makeup now.
Kim

That was my plan all along! Muahahahaha! [Wink]

--------------------

guruwan2b

Icon 08 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Close your eyes and pucker up, Col. Tom!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Mr. Furious

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Close your eyes and pucker up, Col. Tom!

[Big Grin]

Bring it on! [Wink]

Mr "the best part about fighting is making up" Furious

--------------------

Khorgor666

By the Way, i dont see a Prob when he is Homosexual, but this is IMO a typical US American Problem...I myself have some homosexual friends, and they all absolutely nice People.
You're the DoubleD in Disguise

quote:
Originally posted by Khorgor666:
By the Way, i dont see a Prob when he is Homosexual, but this is IMO a typical US American Problem...I myself have some homosexual friends, and they all absolutely nice People.

Oh, absolutely. We aren't trying to denigrate Jeff Gordon if he IS gay (and I seriously doubt he is). It's just that, as Astra noted above, there are many NASCAR partisans who consider it the most devastating insult to call someone "gay" and if they dislike Gordon that's what they will do. I really think that if Jeff Gordon was gay and came out of the closet, it might be a boon to the homosexual "cause." You know, "proof" that they aren't all wimpy hairdressers and such.

Double"Practicing heterosexual"D

aquinasfilter

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a big factor in this is that among many groups of people, calling someone "gay" or a "fag" does not mean that they literally think that person is a homosexual. It is similar to "moron" or "dork", words that do have a specific meaning but are often used as all-purpose insults for someone you dislike for any reason.
What happens a lot, I think, is that someone from outside the group in question hears someone refer to another person as "gay" in that non-specific way, and misinterprets it. By the time this gets to the media, who always think of those terms literally, you have the whole, "Theres a rumor going around that Jeff Gordon is gay" phenomenon.
A good example is the Eminem controversy a year or so ago. When Eminem uses the word "faggot", I honestly beleive that he is not refering specifically to homosexuals, he is simply using it as an all-purpose, confrontational word.

aquinas (not that theres anything wrong with that) filter

Mr. Furious

quote:
Originally posted by aquinasfilter:
I think a big factor in this is that among many groups of people, calling someone "gay" or a "fag" does not mean that they literally think that person is a homosexual. It is similar to "moron" or "dork", words that do have a specific meaning but are often used as all-purpose insults for someone you dislike for any reason.

An excellent point. As an example, one of the people I worked with at my last job used the word "gay" in the manner you described. When they hired a homosexual man in his department, he stopped using that term, and ended up using the word "festive" instead.

Oddly enough, though my former co-worker didn't use the word "gay" in the homosexual sense, I now use the word "festive" in that sense. Weird.

--------------------

DiscoSox

quote:
A good example is the Eminem controversy a year or so ago. When Eminem uses the word "faggot", I honestly beleive that he is not refering specifically to homosexuals, he is simply using it as an all-purpose, confrontational word.
I thought he was trying to take back the word "faggot," like all of those African-American rappers did with "nigga."
Brionninn

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to admit, if I still had my 79 Bronco, I would have a Calvin sticker with a big 24 and yes (sacrilege!) a 3 and now, an 8. I don't like Jeff Gordon because of his driving style. Same with the Earnhardts. Dale Sr was not above cutting his ignition, letting the car behind him ram him and start a chain reaction, while he restarted his car and drove like nothing happened. I've seen bumper shots where Jeff bumped into people knocking them off the track. Rusty Wallace on the last lap of Daytona for example. and Junior himself just a few weeks ago in the pit with R. Gordon.

But I don't think we need to bother with their personal life at all. For one, it's none of our business. Second, it doesn't affect the driving. Third, WHO CARES? It's not like YOU have a shot at Jeff the Man [Smile]

Why the overwhelming concern and curiosity?

And oh wait, yes, I live in Alabama (just a few miles from Talladega). Yes, I live in a trailer, Yes, I was raised in a city of less than 500. yes, I listen to COUNTRY music. Yes, I enjoy NASCAR. I'm also a prelaw student with a 4.0, a mother, a wife, a current paralegal. hm.. where do stereotypes start and where do they end?

Sparverius, Flying Rodent Control

quote:
Originally posted by DiscoSox:
I thought he was trying to take back the word "faggot," like all of those African-American rappers did with "nigga."

Right, and they did it so successfully that no person of African descent would now object to being called a "nigga" by someone of European descent!

--------------------
Sparv"Being called 'niggardly' is, of course, an entirely different proposition"erius

"This point is entirely moo - yes, I said moo... it's like a cow's opinion... no one really cares... it's moo...."

guruwan2b

Bri!!!! I love you!!!
My hubby has a Calvin/24 on his chevy pickup!
Welcome to the board!
Kim

--------------------
Danvers Carew

DiscoSox

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DiscoSox:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, and they did it so successfully that no person of African descent would now object to being called a "nigga" by someone of European descent!

See, my joke was that Eminem is a repressed homosexual. And how some of the young black kids call each other "nigga," and similar to that was Eminem calling his fellow gay men "faggots."
Sparverius, Dragon of Eden

Ah, I see! (knocks self on head and goes "D'oh!")
Brionninn

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bri!!!! I love you!!!
My hubby has a Calvin/24 on his chevy pickup!
Welcome to the board!
Kim

Why thank you very much! [Smile] I have to admit, the Ford was my hubby's choice. I am much the Chevy kind of girl.

So let me understand this? Does this go with the psychobabble of people use it friendly-wise to make the stigma subside? Hm... there was an article on CNN.com (long since gone from the links) back in January regarding how September 11 language is being used in friendly ways to "lessen the pain" of it all. E.g., calling someone a Terrorist means they did something cool. [Roll Eyes] So calling people faggots and 'nigga' and 'honkey' are for friendly reasons? Whatever. Next thing you know, sh*t will mean "smells like roses."

guruwan2b

sh*t will mean "smells like roses."

Perfume commercial: Give your man Sh*t. He'll love you for it. Get Sh*t for yourself. You deserve it! The whole world needs Sh*t.

Wonder who they will get as a poster girl?

Kim

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Ansky1213

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year there was a hubub because some guy said he was a baseball player's lover. He said the player played for an east cost team, and wasn't the main star but was a recognizable figure. Any ideas on which player that was? The name I keep hearing is Brady Anderson (he was on the Orioles when this surfaced.)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages