snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Scientists debunk quicksand myth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scientists debunk quicksand myth
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Falling into quicksand isn't quite as bad as some movies make it out to be. Instead of being sucked all the way in, quicksand victims will float once they get about waist deep, according to a new study.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9516779/

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mythbusters did a really good show on this and came to the same conclusion.

ETA link

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In all the survival guides I've read, you can actually float on your back and either pull yourself to solid ground or use some type of level to push yourself.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That should read "lever"

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whne one has sunk as far as one can in quicksand, how long does it take on average to free oneself if one stretches on one's back and remains calm? Would creatures larger or smaller than humans be affected in the same way?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I disagree that this disproves the myth entirely. There are many diferent kinds of "quicksand" including some that is sand with lots of air in it. If it were deep, one may be able to sink quickly and deeply. I doubt that the myth is true but a few experiments aren't quite enough.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Now I'll just pull my arms out with my face"
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joey
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey   E-mail Joey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueStar:
"Now I'll just pull my arms out with my face"

[lol]

--------------------
"If something's hard to do... it's not worth doing!" - H J Simpson

Posts: 78 | From: Durham, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad took me fishing more often than I would have wished, and once when I was about twelve I got bored and went off following a set of big bird tracks (probably a heron, but that's beside the point).

The bird had strolled across a big, low, wet patch, and when I followed, my foot suddenly plunged down into the mud, and I mean down past my knee. Quicksand, I thought, remembering all those movie characters who had drowned tragically in enormous vats of oatmeal.

But that's as far as I sank. I sat down and sort of scooted backward until I dragged myself out of the muck. Lost one of my shoes.

And when I limped back to Dad and told him of my near-death experience, he wouldn't even take me home. I had to sit around wet, muddy, and miserable for another four hours.

Brad "because the bass were biting, that's why" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry to laugh at your incident, Brad, but we MUST be cousins!!

Your dad sounds JUST like any one of my uncles.

One broke three bones in his foot when his canoe fell on it - and then he STILL dragged the thing over a quarter mile, ALONE, fished for four hours, then dragged two coolers of water/fish and the canoe back to the truck, loaded it all and then went home to clean the fish before he went to the hospital.

It swelled enough to split the skin on his ankle...

"But they were biting!!" [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
I disagree that this disproves the myth entirely. There are many diferent kinds of "quicksand" including some that is sand with lots of air in it. If it were deep, one may be able to sink quickly and deeply. I doubt that the myth is true but a few experiments aren't quite enough.

I admit not being an expert in this field, but there are at least three words to describe similar things: quicksands, marshes, bogs. Maybe situations like the one you describe pertains to another of those similar, yet probably slightly different types of... er... perils?

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recent (2004) experiments with dry quicksand showed that it could swallow even lightweight things in a instant:
http://stilton.tnw.utwente.nl/dryquicksand/

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
you would sink in quicksand caused by airbubbles as the bubbles give the grains more freedom to move and as such the sand starts to share properties with a liquid. As sand is denser and has a thicker consistancy than water it would be impossible to swim through it.

There's also another effect (I forget its name) where if you vibrate mixed freely moving particles/objects together they'll naturally settle into layers with the biggest, heaviest particless at the bottom.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
you would sink in quicksand caused by airbubbles as the bubbles give the grains more freedom to move and as such the sand starts to share properties with a liquid. As sand is denser and has a thicker consistancy than water it would be impossible to swim through it.

There's also another effect (I forget its name) where if you vibrate mixed freely moving particles/objects together they'll naturally settle into layers with the biggest, heaviest particless at the bottom.

<SNARK ATTACK>
Never studied physics eh?
quote:
you would sink in quicksand caused by airbubbles as the bubbles give the grains more freedom to move and as such the sand starts to share properties with a liquid
"Quicksand" is generally considered to be a mixture of water and sand. The "freedom to move" is relevant to quicksand acting like a liquid but irrelevant as to if a particular object will sink or float. Adding air to quicksand will lower the density (mass per unit volume). Things sink in a liquid when their density (mass per unit volume) is greater than the liquids density (the liquids mass per unit volume).
quote:
... if you vibrate mixed freely moving particles/objects together they'll naturally settle into layers with the biggest, heaviest particles at the bottom.
Again, things sink or float because of density (which is mass per unit volume) not because of how big they are or even how heavy the are. An aircraft carrier is very big and very heavy but it does not sink. So, if you vibrate a mixture of gravel the densest material settles to the bottom, not the biggest or heaviest. Why, because it is density (density = mass/volume) that matters.

Got that?

Remember, density=mass/volume, is what matters.
</SNARK ATTACK>

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages