snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » The Ricochet Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ricochet Sound
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lotta places this could have gone, such as Entertainment, Amusement Bark, etc....

Is the familiar "zinggggg" sound of a ricochet due to the spinning of a bullet from a rifled barrel? Do you get the same sound from a smooth-bore weapon?

Seems to me that a smooth-bore gun, firing either round shot or even cylindro-conical rounds (Minie balls) would smack off hard surfaces without the resonant, almost musical buzz of the stereotypical ricochet.

When young, I used to go out and shoot at a very large, smooth, gently inclined sheet of granite. Damned dangerous, and mighty stupid...but, wow, I could get some really great ricochet sounds!

This question occurred to me after listening to a recording of the gunfight at the end of Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean," where smoothbore flintlock pistols make the ricochet sound when the rounds (round rounds!) hit metal.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 221 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, in the "Man Trap" episode of Star Trek (the first episode of that franchise ever aired), a phaser shot produced that familiar richochet sound.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is assuming that familiar sound is the result of spinning. Possibly the noise is made by the dent in the slug, caused by the impact, which then makes a high-pitched warble is air is rapidly forced across the spinning dent.

Is there a scientific source that describes this mechanism?

Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pokeska
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, I noticed that rocks shot from a sling shot do the same thing. I guessed that the rock started spininging because of the collision, and that's what made the noise.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages