snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Sodium Fluoride

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sodium Fluoride
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I keep seeing claims that the Nazis used Sodium Fluoride to pacify POWs in
WW2 (along with all sorts of other claims about the evils of Sodium
Fluoride and fluoridation). There is no shortage of websites that make
this claim, but they all read like they came from the same press release
and I can't find anything to substantiate the claims (outside of said
anti-fluoridation websites). This makes all my skeptic bells start
ringing. Especially since food-chemist-type friends tell me that it is a
fairly benign chemical.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Then why, considering how much of the country fluoridates their water, do we have so much road rage and violence in this country? And why are we spending all that money on all those psychtropic drugs? Gee, if it worked, it might be worth looking into.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could be a question of dose.
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mandrake, flouridation is the most monstrously conceived communist plot; designed to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids!

[Colonel Jack T. Ripper]

Sodium fluoride is beneficial in small doses. It helps promote dental health. Two thirds of US municipal water supplies are fluoridated. Fluoridation has been in use for over 40 years now.

However, in larger doses (5+ grams), fluoride is toxic. But a lethal dose is around 5000 times greater than a beneficial one.

This item seems like a tactic to scare people away from fluoridation.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ouch My Ankle:
Sodium fluoride is beneficial in small doses. It helps promote dental health. Two thirds of US municipal water supplies are fluoridated. Fluoridation has been in use for over 40 years now.

However, in larger doses (5+ grams), fluoride is toxic. But a lethal dose is around 5000 times greater than a beneficial one.

Which, of course, is true of a great number of chemicals - including H2O.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, semi-related question: I'm moving to the country soon, which has a well providing the water. Somebody told me that I would need to get my dentist to start performing floride treatments since I would no longer be getting this in my water. They said that this was the reason that so many country folk have problems with their teeth. Is there any truth to this or was my FIL yanking my chain?
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrrentalshoes:
Oooh, semi-related question: I'm moving to the country soon, which has a well providing the water. Somebody told me that I would need to get my dentist to start performing floride treatments since I would no longer be getting this in my water. They said that this was the reason that so many country folk have problems with their teeth. Is there any truth to this or was my FIL yanking my chain?

How old are you? Floride treatments aren't really necessary if you are no longer growing. Besides which, most toothpaste has floride in it.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are an adult, systemic fluoride is pretty useless, unless you are a pregnant woman.

And fluoride is a naturally-occurring substance, so don't add anything to your children's diet without getting your water analyzed first, otherwise flurosis can occur.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, definately not a child and don't have any yet, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone see the episode of MASH where Frank Burns was teaching Korean boys english. And one of the phrases was something to the effect, "flouridation is evil" or something like that.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages