snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Copper nails kill trees

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Copper nails kill trees
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I once heard that if you drive copper nails into trees it will
kill the trees. This doesn't seem right to me, but I cannot find a
definitive answer anywhere. If you ever get a chance to research this, I
would like to know.

When I was in high school back in the 70s, I hung plastic cups to trap
insects on trees in a nearby nature area for a science project. I chose
the largest trees because they were easy to find. When I removed the
cups, I thoughtlessly left the nails behind. I had access to and used
copper nails because I didn't want them to rust. They were small nails
and I only used one or two per tree, but I sampled from a lot of trees.

A few years ago, I noticed that many of the large trees were gone (or
unhealthy) in the part of the grove I worked in and the legend of copper
nails killing trees was yanked unbidden from the recesses of my memory.
Guilt trip.

I later casually asked a local ecologist who conducts nature walks if he
noticed any older trees dying in our county and he said that he and other
ecologists in the area couldn't explain why so many of the "ancient
behemoths" had died all at once in that particular grove.

I didn't tell him about my copper nails just in case the legend is true.
Please research this (and then tell me it isn't).

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LtColCarter
Raiders of the Lost Shark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtColCarter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have actually heard this one also, but here is what I found:

The Western Chapter International Society of Arboriculture says
quote:
Not only is a copper nail not only not going to kill the tree, but it is a primary components of many fungicides
linkety-link See myth #19

ETA: Is my link actually a chow, or is a chow only for stuff already found on snopes?

--------------------
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu

Posts: 1544 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LtColCarter:
I have actually heard this one also, but here is what I found:

The Western Chapter International Society of Arboriculture says
quote:
Not only is a copper nail not only not going to kill the tree, but it is a primary components of many fungicides
linkety-link See myth #19

ETA: Is my link actually a chow, or is a chow only for stuff already found on snopes?

While its supposwed to be for stuff allready on snopes, chow simples means "see thsi" or "click here" kind on of thing. I would say its valid.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chow, by its very nature, is a link to a previous Snopes thread. Yours is a link. [Smile]

Now, if someone else posted a thread very similar to this, a chow would be warranted.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simetrical
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, they put copper nails in fungicides?

Casey:
Chow, by its very nature, is a link to a previous Snopes thread.
Not really. It's now used mostly for that purpose, but it doesn't have to be. If I remember my history lessons correct, it wasn't originally used that way at all.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles.

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard that any kind of nail is bad for a tree, because it punctures the bark and allows incets and things into the tree. I don't think it's true though, because if you go hiking may places you'll see trail markers nailed to trees. I figure if it were bad for them, park rangers would be the last people to do it.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages